Character creation?

#1 Posted by TDot (281 posts) -

I was watching the custom characters they made for the giantbomb crew, is that a feature of the game to create and name your squad?

#2 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11461 posts) -

You can name your squad and customize them, yes. You can't choose what class they are though, that's randomly determined after they get their first promotion.

#3 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

It's a pre-order bonus.

Yeah.

#4 Edited by Tennmuerti (7995 posts) -

@Terramagi said:

It's a pre-order bonus.

Yeah.

No.

Preorder bonus is for armor color/aesthetic customization plus one extra hairstyle.

The customisation of character names, faces, hairstyle, etc (basically stuff shown in normal preview coverage like the GB qlex) is in the game by default.

#5 Posted by Grimhild (721 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

@Terramagi said:

It's a pre-order bonus.

Yeah.

No.

Preorder bonus is for armor color customization plus one extra hairstyle.

The customisation of character names, faces, hairstyle, etc (basically stuff shown in normal preview coverage like the GB qlex) is in the game by default.

I think the pre-order bonus was also a few extra armor aesthetic options aside from the color customization.

Players can customize their soldier with several aesthetic upgrades to armor suits, including the new Hyperion and Reaper soldier armor kits.

#6 Posted by Tennmuerti (7995 posts) -

@Grimhild: Correct. Edited.

#7 Posted by Grimhild (721 posts) -

@TDot:

Also, I wouldn't get too attached to your recruit (i.e. customize them) until they're at least a squaddie with a chosen profession to begin with. Recruits tend to die. A lot. But it just makes those seasoned NCO's and officers that much more valuable.

Damn replacements...

#8 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

People in X-COM don't get a name until they have at least 5 confirmed kills.

Only then are we permitted to care.

#9 Posted by thebatmobile (979 posts) -

So if you don't pre-order you won't be able to change the color of the armors and stuff?

Huh, that's kinda shitty since I won't be able to afford until later.

#10 Posted by Dredlockz (342 posts) -

@thebatmobile: It's probably going to be available as DLC, preorder content usually is.

@Grimhild said:

@TDot:

Also, I wouldn't get too attached to your recruit (i.e. customize them) until they're at least a squaddie with a chosen profession to begin with. Recruits tend to die. A lot.

THIS! Also, they implemented an interesting "nickname" mechanic, where soldiers gain procedurally-generated nicknames depending on stuff they do on missions. And you can also set that directly. So I think im staying with their starting names, and just changing the nicknames as stuff happens when I play with them

#11 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5306 posts) -

Need some Lee Marvin to knife half the german/alien population for us

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.