Completely Unscientific Poll: First Country Lost

• 65 results
#1 Posted by Asmo917 (422 posts) -

I lost my first country last night - France withdrew from the XCOM project. Ryan tweeted out a photo when he first started playing when France quit on him, which got me wondering if they're jokingly more prone to leaving early.

So who left everyone's council first? My base, also, is in Europe FWIW.

#2 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

Mexico.

#3 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5077 posts) -

It would have been better if it was an actual poll. USA

#4 Posted by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -

Mexico for me too.

#5 Posted by MstrMnyBgs (128 posts) -

Mexico and Canada were lost at the same time for me.

#6 Posted by StingerMK2 (386 posts) -

Canada, they left AGES ago and i managed to get everyone down to a manageable level now, so im feeling pretty good about where i am with the game, bit of a pity about them leaving, but my home base is in the US, so i still get the "all in" bonus despite them not being there, MWAHAHAHA!

#7 Posted by BelligerentEngine (348 posts) -

France in my First game, Egypt in my second.

#8 Posted by jeconner (70 posts) -

Russia

#9 Posted by Jay_Ray (1118 posts) -

Mexico

#10 Posted by Freshbandito (689 posts) -

Australia, something about space dingos spooking them and they upped and left. Then I lost Brazil, was achoice between japan and brazil leaving, I had one satellite, launched it over japan to save the bigger funding and then was promptly given a mission to reduce panic in japan right after... Fuck you game!

#11 Posted by Bamsen (344 posts) -

India

#12 Posted by kerse (2118 posts) -

India and Germany

#13 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

Argentina, who did not cry for me.

#14 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

Brazil on my first Classic Ironman tries, now that I settled for normal I'm ready to use the Gollop Chamber and everyone's still pretty stoked.

#15 Posted by Asmo917 (422 posts) -

@Freshbandito: That's the fucking worst. I had that happen right before I lost France with them and the UK. Lauched that satellite over the UK thinking they had greater funding potential...and immediately had the option to do a panic mission in Manchester with the bonus of 4 Engineers which I BADLY needed at the time. Life and XCOM are a bitch, but I'm really enjoying the later.

#16 Posted by l4wd0g (2011 posts) -

I lost South Africa and Nigeria at once.

#17 Posted by rolanthas (255 posts) -

France

#18 Posted by sarahsdad (1119 posts) -

Canada. I think either the aliens aren't actually going there, or the Canadians are just so friendly they didn't want to be involved in a world wide war effort.

#19 Posted by Baal_Sagoth (1281 posts) -

China shortly after deciding in favor of the US vs. them in the very first choice the game gave me.

Wanted to go for the NA continent bonus, failed miserably. As of now Mexico (2nd) and Canada (3rd) abandoned XCOM as well but it sort of seems as if I may be moving towards the endgame now. I'm not sure and I don't want to spoil anything.

#20 Posted by Blimble (302 posts) -

Australia. Going to fill it full of alien convicts when I'm done saving the world

#21 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

Nigeria.

#22 Posted by rjayb89 (7728 posts) -

Haven't lost anyone yet, fortunately. Got passed the (first) alien base quickly and without casualty and it stopped India from freaking out. They were pretty close to pulling out but I pulled them back in.

#23 Posted by SeanFoster (882 posts) -

Brazil

#24 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1859 posts) -

Brazil. South America was nearly always my last choice when it came up. (Sorry, Southies.)

#25 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

Japan. I lost France second, just before starting the last mission. Only lost them because I wanted improved flight before starting the last mission, and then a terror mission came up just before and I didn't want to lose or injure anyone before the last big fight.

"Eh France, stop bitching I am going to save the entire world tomorrow. Have a little patience please?"

#26 Posted by Atom (215 posts) -

Haven't lost anybody yet and I'm near the end of the game. However, if I keep delaying the final mission, I guess Germany and Mexico would be the first ones to go (each one has 3 Panic Points(TM)

#27 Posted by Zaccheus (1801 posts) -

Poll without a poll, that's interesting. UK was the only country that bailed on my.

#28 Posted by SmilingPig (1341 posts) -

Nigeria

#29 Edited by ShaggE (6636 posts) -

Mexico.

Also: Estimated time to "China Don't Care Mod", where China's panic never raises? I'd make it myself if I had any modding skill whatsoever.

#30 Posted by onarum (2232 posts) -

Australia...

#31 Posted by Turambar (6849 posts) -

Russia I think.

#32 Posted by Tesuto (22 posts) -

Canada

#33 Posted by UitDeToekomst (732 posts) -

I'm on my 2nd play through and have been lucky enough to not yet lose a country. In my current game, both India and Mexico are at level 5 panic, though. I think India also reached level 5 in my 1st game as well, right before my timely assault on the alien base cooled everyone down.

#34 Posted by Gnorbooth (287 posts) -

My first game, France was out in a heartbeat. Second game, France and England rolled out together. WTF FRANCE. Whatever, I don't need your funding to save the world from an alien menace, or anything.

#35 Posted by StealthRaptor (530 posts) -

Nigeria and Egypt. This was before I realized how long it took to build a satellite.

#36 Posted by BonOrbitz (2243 posts) -

Germany.

What's the trick to keeping countries from booking besides reducing their panic levels during abductions? Do satellites help?

#37 Posted by The_Hiro_Abides (1266 posts) -

I lost France and Russia at the same time. I delayed the alien assault mission and kept running into engineer problems for building a satellite up link.

#38 Posted by Asmo917 (422 posts) -

I should point out, there's no actual poll because I was trying to support the idea of emergent gameplay* and foster discussion in a kick-ass community**

*I couldn't remember all the countries in the council and was just asking the question to kill time at work

**I forgot we could make polls

#39 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

I only lost Canada in my first game. My greatest failure.

Second game, Brazil and Egypt at the same time.

#40 Posted by TheHT (11682 posts) -

France

#41 Posted by Arkkazeal (110 posts) -

France and then shortly after the UK.

#42 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1705 posts) -

@rjayb89 said:

Haven't lost anyone yet, fortunately. Got passed the (first) alien base quickly and without casualty and it stopped India from freaking out. They were pretty close to pulling out but I pulled them back in.

Yeah, I'm a bit past the first alien base too and have not lost a country. Japan and China were on the brink for a while, then a Very Hard terror mission in Hong Kong appeared and I handily finished that, which caused panic to drop everywhere in Asia by 4. Only lost one soldier so far as well, so I'm feeling good :)

#43 Posted by Moonshadow101 (573 posts) -

Mexico.

#44 Posted by ApocalypseLater (101 posts) -

China. They don't care, apparently.

#45 Posted by MelficeVKM (160 posts) -

Canada and India

#46 Posted by Atlas (2457 posts) -

Mexico.

#47 Posted by TheBluthCompany (413 posts) -

I've lost the entirety of Africa.

#48 Posted by bokchoi (30 posts) -

France and the U.K. left at the same time for me. Strangely there has been almost no missions in the N.A. countries.

#49 Posted by Farbelowaverage (51 posts) -

Council Overseer, May 31st: "You're doing pretty damned good, XCOM! If this were school, I'd give you a B. By the way, Japan is f***ing OUT OF HERE, they are SO SICK of your sh*t."

Dr. Shen, June 1st: "Hey, that satellite you ordered for Tokyo is ready. Where'd everybody go?"

#50 Posted by spree4567 (138 posts) -

Mexico

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.