Endless Scanning. When does it stop?

#1 Posted by Branthog (7523 posts) -

So, about 90 minutes into the tutorial, when you go to the downed alien aircraft. Right after that, it brings up the spinning globe with the "SCAN" button at the top. So I hit it. It rolls through days. Lots of them. Until the end of the year. And the next year. And the next year. I get tired of waiting and go do some laundry. I come back and it's still going. I go take a leak. I come back and it's still going. I can press ESC to get out of the scanning, but it just leaves me staring at the planet. The events in the lower right just keep saying "next council review" and then resetting with each month. There are no other options. Just scan or stop scan.

I figured it was bugged, but when I quit and started again, it brought me back to the final move at the end of the mission I had just finished. I finished it again, got back to the scan screen right after I finished the mission and . . . same thing. How long is the scanning supposed to go on for? It seems unlikely that the tutorial would have a 20+ minute event where you just stare at the spinning globe...?

#2 Posted by Soap (3577 posts) -

It looks like you've found one of XCOM's many many bugs. Maybe the issue is already baked into your save? You might just have to start it again? :S

#3 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Definitely bugged, it's a pretty damn buggy game.

I don't think reloading helps because that stuff is decided before hand, same when you reload while on a mission. (as far as I understand it)

#4 Posted by Branthog (7523 posts) -

Fuck. I was hoping that wasn't the case and that there was just some trick to scanning that I hadn't picked up on (like, do it in bursts or something strange). *sigh*.

That was a nice waste of two hours. :/

#5 Edited by ElCapitan (402 posts) -

@Branthog: You did it, man. You saved the planet. There are no more aliens forever. You beat them so bad in the crash mission they ran off.

A winner is you.

#6 Posted by Branthog (7523 posts) -

@Sooty said:

I don't think reloading helps because that stuff is decided before hand, same when you reload while on a mission. (as far as I understand it)

I hadn't made it around to starting a game until just this morning, but I have heard endless praising of the game for several straight weeks on almost every podcast and website I've consumed and had no idea it was considered buggy. I don't think a single reviewer/whatever has mentioned any bugs, at all. Rather disappointing that it hasn't been part of the discussions.

#7 Posted by Branthog (7523 posts) -

@ElCapitan said:

@Branthog: You did it, man. You saved the planet. There are no more aliens forever. You beat them so bad in the crash mission they ran off.

A winner is you.

AWESOME. I can finally add this to my "finished games" list and move on to that magic pony game from Steam's summer sale!

#8 Posted by ElCapitan (402 posts) -

@Branthog: In all seriousness, there's a fantastic postmodern-style feature to be written here about the state of your XCOM game and humanity's endless wait for the threat that was.

I wouldn't say that the game is terribly buggy, but I've run into some serious ones a few times. It's a Firaxis game, I dunno. Hopefully it'll start working at some point today because it is genuinely awesome

#9 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Branthog said:

@Sooty said:

I hadn't made it around to starting a game until just this morning, but I have heard endless praising of the game for several straight weeks on almost every podcast and website I've consumed and had no idea it was considered buggy. I don't think a single reviewer/whatever has mentioned any bugs, at all. Rather disappointing that it hasn't been part of the discussions.

I've encountered quite a few but I haven't patched my game since release, the worst one I've had is where one of my guys went into a room, and then the grid wouldn't let me move him back out of it. He was stuck there the entire mission!

#10 Edited by lightsoda (540 posts) -

Many many bugs? I haven't enountered a single one yet. That was noticable anyway.

Sucks that you got stuck on the scanning, it shouldn't take too long.

#11 Posted by Sackmanjones (4685 posts) -

There are no aliens on earth. Congratulations! You won!

#12 Edited by Branthog (7523 posts) -

Apparently, this is what instigates this bug:

[0] Before the downed-ship mission in the tutorial, you are asked to send out fighters to intercept the UFO.

[1] Send out two interceptors.

[2] Bring down UFO.

[3] Finish mission.

[4] Brief part of cut-scene followed by immediately being dumped into the planet scanning interface with nothing but a "scan/stop scan" button that never ends.

To avoid this, only send out one interceptor. Otherwise, look forward to ditching a couple hours of game play and starting from the beginning, like me. *sigh*

#13 Posted by BisonHero (6433 posts) -
@Branthog Did you send out interceptors sequentially or both simultaneously? If the latter, I didn't think that was possible. Also don't you normally just have one interceptor that early in the game?
#14 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

@Branthog said:

Fuck. I was hoping that wasn't the case and that there was just some trick to scanning that I hadn't picked up on (like, do it in bursts or something strange). *sigh*.

That was a nice waste of two hours. :/

At least you can skip the tutorial next time and catch up to that mission within a pretty short space of time.

#15 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

@Branthog said:

@Sooty said:

My review metions bugs.

Most reviewers don't mention them because they aren't reliable bugs. What happens during one mission may not happen upon a reload. But make no mistakes, it's one hell of a buggy game and it severly needs to be patched. I wouldn't recommend doing an ironman campaign until all that stuff is sorted.

#16 Posted by ElCapitan (402 posts) -

@Mesoian: I think an Ironman campaign is pretty safe. Any game crash level bugs or hangups I've had are safe because the game saves after every successfully executed action.

I suppose the "enemy appearing bug" (which I'm inclined to believe is actually a line of sight issue) is potentially more offputting for Ironman (definitely lost my best sniper due to a Cyberdisc appearing from the sky), but Ironman is fairly safe.

#17 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

@lightsoda said:

Many many bugs? I haven't enountered a single one yet. That was noticable anyway.

i havnt either. im always lucky and never seem to stummble across bugs.

#18 Posted by ElCapitan (402 posts) -

@Bell_End: That's because your game rolled a good number against the seeded RNG for bugs.

#19 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3794 posts) -

@lightsoda said:

I'm playing on 360 and only one I've had it a bit of audio being held out until I hit the guide button, then it came back.

But yeah no bugs here.

#20 Posted by mason (258 posts) -

The game has stalled several times for me while a sectopod was taking his turn. It just stood there for an eternity on the "Alien Activity" phase. His idle animations went on as normal, I was just powerless to control anything. It's the only real problem I've encountered with this otherwise great game.

There are funny visual flaws like how the game wigs out when too many aliens get revealed at once (especially on multi-floor levels). The cutscenes and movement start to go out of sequence and it looks like a mess. But it really doesn't affect my enjoyment. Just looks jarring.

#21 Posted by ShaggE (6415 posts) -

Bugless folks: Have you built SHIVs yet? SHIVs seem to be an absolute mess for a LOT of people, myself included.

#22 Edited by Ribkage (1 posts) -

Just signed up to post this. This bug has not been fixed. Playing it on steam and it is fully updated. I just had the same problem as the op and my only couple saves are during the mission this happens. I have no intent on restarting, gonna just play a less buggy game instead. Cant believe over 6 months after release theres still straight up game breaking bugs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.