Hold sats or launch to fight?

#1 Posted by golguin (4050 posts) -

I've heard people say that it's better to hold satellites till the end of the month to reduce panic but doesn't that mean you are throwing away your chance to down ufo for resources and experience?

#2 Posted by LawGamer (301 posts) -

The general rule is that you should only launch satellites immediately before the council report. There are a number of reasons for this:

1. There is no immediate bonus for launching a satellite other than the panic reduction. You will get the same amount of end-of-month funding from a country regardless of whether you launch at the beginning of the month or the end of the month.
  2. By launching at the end of the month, you are able to manage panic levels while taking into account all of the random events that took place during the month. If you launch at the beginning of the month, you run the risk of any panic reduction gain from the satellite being negated by multiple abduction missions popping up.
  3. Launching at the end of the month also gives you some time to build and equip interceptors. Detecting the UFOs doesn't do you any good if you can't shoot them down.

So yes, if you wait to launch, you are missing an opportunity at shooting down UFOs, but look at it this way: There will be plenty more UFOs over the course of the game, but once you lose a country it's gone for good.

Also remember that although having a satellite over a country stops abductions in that country, it does not stop panic from rising in that country unless the entire continent is covered. In other words, if another country on the same continent has an abduction that you don't respond to, the panic in the covered country will still go up by 1, even if you have a satellite over it. Since launching a satellite only gives a one-time panic reduction bonus, this means that it is entirely possible for a covered country to still pull out given enough panic increases on the same continent. It is therefore better to save up your satellites until the end of the month, when you have a better chance of covering an entire continent at once.

Pretty much the only exception is when you have a covered county at 4 panic on a continent that is not completely covered. In that case, you might want to launch immediately if doing so will completely cover the continent. Otherwise you could be forced into a scenario where if an abduction pops up on that continent, you will have to choose that site, or the covered country will rise to 5 panic and leave at the end of the month.

#3 Posted by golguin (4050 posts) -

I see. So how many aircraft do I need up in the air? I currently have 5 interceptors and 1 firestorm.

#4 Posted by bigstrat2003 (69 posts) -

That's enough for starters. You will eventually need only one firestorm on each continent, as long as it has plasma or EMP weaponry. Until you get to that point, I have two interceptors because the two of them combined can usually do enough damage to a UFO to take it down (where one will fail). But one interceptor on each continent is enough to start with, you can build more later.

#5 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

Everything I came in here to say has been said. Yay?

#6 Posted by golguin (4050 posts) -

@bigstrat2003 said:

That's enough for starters. You will eventually need only one firestorm on each continent, as long as it has plasma or EMP weaponry. Until you get to that point, I have two interceptors because the two of them combined can usually do enough damage to a UFO to take it down (where one will fail). But one interceptor on each continent is enough to start with, you can build more later.

Thanks.

#7 Posted by beepmachine (617 posts) -

@LawGamer: In my game America and Mexico are both at 5 Panic (maxed out), and Canada is at 4, but I managed to get one satellite over each country. So does that mean panic will no longer increase in any of those countries and I don't have to worry about them any more? I guess I might lose them at the end of month though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.