How do you recover from losing all of your high ranking veterans?

#1 Posted by natetodamax (19212 posts) -

So I'm new to XCOM and strategy games in general, and I had to pick this up after hearing all the praise for it. It's a really awesome game as you know, but the thing that worries me is how completely ineffective rookies are later in the game. I'm worried about what'll happen if I should lose several or all of my high ranking veterans in a battle (I'm playing on Ironman mode). How do you recover from that? Is equipping them with Laser weapons and armor enough to get them through the later stages of the game long enough for them to move through the ranks and take charge?

#2 Posted by fox01313 (5078 posts) -

If you go slow & not rush it, they survive a lot better (tips on another thread in the new xcom forums). Early on the rookies are ineffective mostly from the crummy gear they have to start but once you get better gear it should make it better. Cycle through your troops on missions to make sure that you have a few high ranking people & some new ones so you don't have to worry about having just one high level squad in danger of being taken out.

#3 Posted by living4theday258 (679 posts) -

you don't.

#4 Posted by Fallen189 (5032 posts) -

You usually just end up restarting the game. Thats not a joke either.  Sometimes you just have to know when it's time to call it quits

#5 Posted by TobbRobb (4727 posts) -

Yeah you should basically make sure to level up at least 2 teams worth of people early on, so that you always have reserves in case of injury or death. And then just make damn fucking sure to not lose unnecessarily many soldiers towards the end. You can't bounce back a lot the time, plain and simple.

#6 Edited by HH (611 posts) -

you don't need to restart, it happened to me right before i was going to take on the final mission in my first playthrough, i lost four of my main six through overconfidence (best/most heartbreaking mission ever), so I just had to level up four newbies, it took some time, like ten or fifteen random missions, I don't remember, but at that stage in the game everything else was in the bag with regards to satellites and research so it's just a matter of a grind, that's all, you can carry on doing random missions indefinetely at that point, the hard part is behind you, starting over makes no sense, considering you'd have to do all that again.

#7 Posted by seannao (227 posts) -

Bring more SHIVs to compensate for training rookies (especially if PSI is an issue) and do missions that give you new soldiers.

Do not bring more than one rookie/squaddie along to serious missions.

Play slower during missions. Most of the missions do not penalize you for taking a million turns to complete.

#8 Posted by StingerMK2 (386 posts) -

this happened to me coming up to my endgame, the first time i encountered a sectopod, i also play ironman, my first time through was on normal. after a few missions and about 10 dead rookies later, i nearly threw in the towel, even with the best equipment, they just aren't very good, but then i got a few ranked up and slowly got enough of a decent team to get to the end mission and actually finish the game, trying to play it through on classic ironman now and im finding if i have a mission where it just goes bad and i lose my entire squad, I'll just start over, the problem i find is that ill play really cautiously for the first few hours then ill let it slip a little and get all my troops out of position and accidentally trigger 2/3 groups of enemies and that is when things go really bad

#9 Posted by Turambar (6808 posts) -

In classic ironman, you say fuck it and start over because at that point, it's just a slow and inevitable path towards complete defeat.

#10 Posted by natetodamax (19212 posts) -
@seannao What exactly do SHIVs do? I've never built one (haven't been able to yet).
#11 Posted by beeftothetaco (425 posts) -

I only play Ironman, so I just restart the game.

#12 Posted by year199X (66 posts) -

@Voxel said:

@seannao What exactly do SHIVs do? I've never built one (haven't been able to yet).

They're disposable heavy weapons platforms that are comparable to a mid-level soldier. If your alpha squad is partially injured/wiped out and you need to train up some rookies, they can greatly bolster an inexperienced squad. There's a variant that also works as mobile cover.

They're also great as scouts. Losing a SHIV to a surprise group of aliens is preferable to losing one of your mans.

#13 Posted by Dextar (24 posts) -

War is hell.

#14 Posted by Fattony12000 (7515 posts) -

@Voxel:

Always be saving.

Always be loading.

Always try different routes and positions during combat.

Always be rotating between at least two of each type of solider that you want.

#15 Posted by natetodamax (19212 posts) -

Thanks for the help everyone. I've been switching some soldiers out here and there in order to keep a relatively well-built up roster of soldiers so I don't have to resort to rookies in case of a disaster. It's been going really well so far.

#16 Posted by Karkarov (3172 posts) -

If you lose all your top veterans how do you recover? Uh.... Well that depends. Are you playing on any challenge setting over normal? Cause if you are the answer is "You don't." If you are playing on normal or lower (is there a lower challenge setting?) my advice is suck up the XCom Council complaints and start dragging out the game for random missions. Then pick the ones with the lower difficulties. That way your rookies have a better chance of being effective and leveling up.

Like others said level up some back ups, especially once certain officer school perks open up and people get bonus willpower. Turns out two of my best guys at end game both got started half way through my campaign. In fact I think only .... 1 person from my original first mission made it through the whole thing.

#17 Posted by stonepawfox (236 posts) -

just buy the upgrade that lets new recruits start as squaddies and you will at least not be completely useless if you lose all your guys. in my classic ironman playthrough i lost 5 of my veteran soldiers to unexpected sectoid commander mind control and made it through the rest of the game with new squaddies and my colonel sniper.

#18 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

i had to restart because i had a really badly botched mission where i lost all my good guys and i stupidly played for like 5 hours without saving.

the game i actually played to completion i rotated guys in and out pretty regularly so if i lost a guy it wasn't a massive deal cus i had 3 good snipers but only took one at a time. same with every other class, i just kept enough around.

late game? all recruits though, yeah, that'd suck bad.

#19 Posted by Daveyo520 (6852 posts) -

I reload >.>

#20 Posted by Mikemcn (6996 posts) -

Bring a rookie along on some of your missions so they level up, that way you have a fall back. My first game, my A team got wiped out on the first alien base, and I couldn't even hope to bounce back from that.

#21 Posted by ch3burashka (5111 posts) -

Gun in the mouth.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.