Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

How many Firestorms do I need? 4 satellites going up.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By golguin

The month of May just ended (haven't built hyperwave relay yet) and a nice influx of cash has allowed me to have 6 satellites in the pipeline (20-11 range of days). My current satellites stand at 6/10 so I'm going to need to put up my final satellite nexus as soon as I get the money and materials to put it in. My first firestorm will be completed in about 7 days, but I don't know how many of them I'm going to need to build to cover the new continents. Will I be able to quickly transfer them over to whatever area gets a large UFO or am I going to need one in each continent? Will they replace all of my interceptors or should I have a mix?

On a side note Mutons just arrived and I haven't really bought upgraded equipment. I could build the Foundry, but what would I even buy? It probably would be better to buy the armor and weapons upgrades available, but I don't know if its worth the money. Any advice on that?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Tennmuerti

Transfer time is too long, UFO will get away. So you will need 1 on each continent, if you want a guaranteed coverage.

You can trash all interceptors afterwards. A firestorm with either plasma or emp weaponry can take down anything.

On normal or below nothing in the foundry is crucial. There are some things that might make your life a bit easier, like better scope, better arc thrower, alien grenades, improved medkit, ammo conservation (arguably the best of the upgrades).

bigstrat2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By bigstrat2003

For Foundry stuff, I've started really liking the SHIV. It's useful for two reasons: one, it gives you a scout to send in which is expendable (can always build another SHIV), and actually effective (unlike a rookie). Two, it's useful to bring one in situations such as a UFO where you know you'll be facing sectoid commanders, which typically like to mind control something as soon as they see it. They won't be able to do that with your SHIV, so it's safe to send that thing in to flush the sectoids out.

The downside is that when you bring it, that's one slot that you can't have a soldier who is gaining experience. But it's still very useful even with that drawback.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Kind of answered above but for normal: have one on each continent with an EMP. You will not be able to transfer and catch UFOs and leaving one to go wild will really hurt you with a given country.

The Foundry is worth it for ammo conservation alone, so do build that. I also did like the pistol upgrades later on as they helped my two sniper units to be effective on the move (as I set them up without snap shot).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.