I am bad at this game (so far)

#1 Posted by Fistfulofmetal (684 posts) -

Admittedly I am early in the game, just out of the initial tutorial missions, but boy am I stinking it up. So far I've lost at least 1 soldier in every missions I've been on. I just had to do a mission where I had to prevent a bomb from going off. All my dudes got killed!

Its the kind of experience where I am trying to setup tactical decisions but then I watch as everything slowly falls apart. :(

I think i'm going to need a lot of practice with this one.

#2 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -

What difficulty are you playing on? If you're above normal, I suggest going to normal.

#3 Posted by HyperionXR (277 posts) -

Don't fret. I've found that playing conservatively and keeping the soldiers that aren't moving forward in overwatch mode helps a ton. Try to lure the enemy into your killzone of overwatching dudes and see if that helps at all. Also, I've been focusing on defense upgrades for my soldiers as well.

#4 Posted by NegativeCero (3014 posts) -

I haven't played either the old or new one, but isn't the old one infamous for being balls hard. I expect they just kept that up with this one.

#5 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

From watching devs play, it seems like if you only lose 1 guy per mission, you're doing we'll.

#6 Edited by MartinDN (127 posts) -

Jesus this game is hard lol. Classic ironman, ive lost already but thats good i had the impression they was making you win everytime i was wrong. Money is incredibly tight, like i have to do 2 or 3 missions to save up for anything, i lost the campaign in under 3 hours how can a sectoid corpse sell for 4 bux lol? all the nations went rogue on me. The first few missions was hilarious, i lost 4 guys every time :(

Maybe im just not used to this game yet, but ufo defence on superhuman was easier than this, i guess i have played that for almost a decade though so that helps.

#7 Posted by dvdhaus (357 posts) -

I am playing on normal, because I never got into the old XCOM games. I am finding this game will suck the hours away from you. Money is super tight even on normal. Found myself rolling my posse around the map close, but not too close to each other. And at the end of each turn I have at least one dude in overwatch.

#8 Posted by Jackel2072 (2269 posts) -

a good tip. if you can not see any good moves to make, then dont make any! end your turn and see what the AI does. plenty of times i just go into over watch/hunker down and let the enemy come into my kill box. 8 hours with the game and only 3 deaths so far. Granted i expect that number to climb.

#9 Posted by gaminghooligan (1468 posts) -

I suck as well, dropped to easy for a bit to get my bearings, I've never really played a game like XCom before. Must say though, it is one of the most addictive games I've ever played, every mission ends with me saying I'll just play one more for now, and then it repeats forever lol

#10 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5796 posts) -

@HyperionX3 said:

Don't fret. I've found that playing conservatively and keeping the soldiers that aren't moving forward in overwatch mode helps a ton. Try to lure the enemy into your killzone of overwatching dudes and see if that helps at all. Also, I've been focusing on defense upgrades for my soldiers as well.

This is pretty much the best approach to any tactical RPG, lure the dumb AI piecemeal over to your solidified position. Of course since damage is high enough to kill you instantly and you have to deal damage based on dice rolls there's never an explicit guarantee of success; but you can stack the odds in your favor at least.

#11 Posted by Fistfulofmetal (684 posts) -

@BoG:

playing on normal :\

I noticed theres no way to just restart a mission.

I think I need to get a better understanding of cover and whatnot. when someone can be hit and cannot. also to think about what move the AI will do after I move my dudes and so on. i'm not good with chess so this kind of game is difficult for me.

#12 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

I've found better success by going fucking balls out and run and gun next to them and shooting them in the damn face.

#13 Posted by aspaceinvader (257 posts) -

Sounds just like the old xcom. I used to loose about 1 or 2 soldiers per mission in the old one, sometimes the entire squad, but it used to make me more determined to not screw up in each mission afterwards. I always found the game hard, but that's why I enjoyed it risk vs reward. Your more like playing like loads of other players. It's just xcom's way of saying I can still kick your ass if you think this is too easy.

#14 Posted by SilverBulletKY (165 posts) -

I'm doing very bad as well.. I think I'm going to go back and play through a campaign on normal as I started 3rd difficulty.

#15 Posted by spiralcut (118 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave: Funny enough, this is exactly what we do in the real Army. You never want to have an even fight with the enemy, you want them dead before they have a chance to pull the trigger.

This may help you.

http://www.giantbomb.com/xcom-enemy-unknown/61-37152/help-for-those-who-need-it/35-563491/

#16 Posted by MartinDN (127 posts) -

Guys who are playing on classic and losing, dont give up lol, i experienced many many many bad games on superhuman, its part of the road to of xcom. Its like cheating putting it on less than classic, it really is, you start off with 6 instead of 4 soldiers, money is easier to get, aliens easier to hit not as smart etc. just stick with it and youll enjoy it more. It will also last longer! :D

#17 Posted by cbarnes86 (559 posts) -

Yea, this game is pretty tough, but I like it that way. I'm playing Ironman mode on Normal and every time I go into a mission and lose a soldier, I get so pissed and hate the aliens even more. That being said, I've learned a couple of helpful tips:

1. Never "dash" (that is, use both actions to move) unless you are trying to run away or get a medic to another soldier. If you "dash" and your soldier spots enemies, those enemies get a movement turn and can leave that soldier in some dire situations.

2. Sniper is the best freaking class ever! From when I started playing the game, I think the only person still alive (about 4-5 hours in) is my sniper. These classes are incredible. I personally have leveled him to where he can "see" anyone his squadmates see, making it to where I can leave him in a high location behind cover and even if an enemy is out of his personal sight range, he can still shoot enemies he should be able to shoot.

3. Don't go credit crazy. Money isn't exactly easy to come by in this game. You can sell things from missions, but you need pretty much a lot of everything for research. You can sell damaged stuff (which I've only gotten from UFOs) and you get a "salary" every month. Still, buy things you truly need in the given month. I usually try to sit on my money until something comes up. Occasionally you will get side missions to supply a country with something you have to purchase and the trade off is usually good.

4. Kinda tying into the last point, but make sure you have one of everything that is crucial to survival. When you get to a certain point (pretty quickly), you have access to a medikit and an arc weapon (don't remember the exact name, but it allows you to capture aliens alive). These are crucial on every mission. You never know when you need to stabilize someone or an enemy gets stupidly close to you and you can capture him easily. Btw, the medikit doesn't disappear after use (you just get one use per mission, unless the character is a support class and they have an upgrade that allows them to use it 3 times which is SUPER useful).

I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones that popped into my head at the moment. If anyone else has helpful tips, I would love to read about them. I'm sure there is a thread about this, so I'm gonna go searching.

#18 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@cbarnes86 said:

I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones that popped into my head at the moment. If anyone else has helpful tips, I would love to read about them. I'm sure there is a thread about this, so I'm gonna go searching.

Prioritize Engineering buildings in your base over Research buildings. The single science lab or whatever you start with is enough to research all the tech in the game but you need to build more engineering facilities to manufacture more advanced goodies.

Even above Engineering, I'd prioritize satellite coverage over everything else. Popping a satellite into orbit above a given country immediately reduces it's terror rating by two bars; really useful to prevent nations from pulling out of the XCOM program. Don't forget that you need to build more Satellite Uplinks in your base to field more satellites.

#19 Posted by Brodehouse (10104 posts) -
@Ravenlight on the satellite thing, does it make sense to prioritize continents over trying to keep all countries in? Once I realized I wasn't getting money from some countries anyway, I focused on completing continents rather than keeping some countries in. I've pretty much written off South America and Africa, but I've g
#20 Posted by Iodine (549 posts) -

One thing that has helped me a lot is watching other people play it, even if they suck just as bad as you, by just watching others I have learned what to do (and more often than not what not to do)

#21 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

@Ravenlight on the satellite thing, does it make sense to prioritize continents over trying to keep all countries in? Once I realized I wasn't getting money from some countries anyway, I focused on completing continents rather than keeping some countries in. I've pretty much written off South America and Africa, but I've g

My strategy has been to sit on a few extra satellites until multiple countries have a full red Terror meter, then launch a satellite over one of them and do a mission for the other. You get a cash bonus at the beginning of each month for each country that has satellite coverage.

Conversely, if you cover an entire continent, you get the same bonus you'd have if you'd built your base there. South America is the easiest to cover since you only need two satellites, but Africa's continent bonus nets you flat $200 bonus each month. I don't remember the bonuses for the other countries :/

I'm not sure which is the superior approach to satellite coverage.

#22 Posted by laserbolts (5331 posts) -

Yeah from watching the quick look it seems it could be pretty easy to fuck up real quick. I just appreciate that instead of trying to find a way to blame the game, you acknowledged that you just aren't good at it.

#23 Posted by mostman (251 posts) -

I had a problem that maybe a more advanced player could help me with. First game, played through the tutorial. When it told me to launch a satellite I launched it over China. Problem is, I had no "link" to it. So occasionally it would find a UFO but I couldn't scramble to get to it. Plus, it seemed like I was just scanning and scanning for days and not getting missions. I think I spent the entire second hour researching and scanning until the counsel told me to do something. Is this normal? Or do you need to be smarter about where you launch your satellites? It took another two hours before I had what I needed to build a new uplink - so I must have been doing something wrong.

#24 Posted by Zidd (1852 posts) -

@Fistfulofmetal: Turn on auto save in the options menu and it will keep 3 saves for you and one of them is always the last time you were at your base and you can use that save to restart the mission although the map will change.

#25 Posted by Tennmuerti (8145 posts) -

@mostman:

You need to go into the hangar and build and deploy interceptors on the continents where you have satellite coverage to be able to down UFOs.

There are certain progression requirements for story missions, what might have happened is you missed one of them

#26 Posted by Brodehouse (10104 posts) -

Another question; does progress through the main story increase the general difficulty of the terror and abductions? I feel like maybe I rushed ahead before I was really ready and that might be why everything is Very Difficult. I had an Outsider captured before I had laser rifles.

#27 Posted by Tennmuerti (8145 posts) -

@Brodehouse: Hard to say, it might be the story missions or it might be time passage. The GB QL mission they had shown mutons and the cyber disks, whereas I only met cyber disks after the first base assault.

#28 Posted by BisonHero (6674 posts) -
@Terramagi

I've found better success by going fucking balls out and run and gun next to them and shooting them in the damn face.

Cannot tell if serious.
#29 Posted by ttocs (772 posts) -

I'm pretty sure sucking is part of the charm of this game.

#30 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11930 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

I've been prioritizing by continent because some of those bonuses are pretty great and I figure that since I'm going to lose countries anyways, I might as well lose them all in the same continent. South America's bonus is actually really good if you get it early enough. Free research is time that can be spent researching other stuff, and the bonuses you get for live captures are really good too.

#31 Posted by Brodehouse (10104 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater yeah, as I was gonna say; I got my base in Europe and I've covered North America, so now I get their aircraft benefit. I'm hoping that means I'll have more luck with shooting down UFOs, which means more salvage and more success. I should do Asia next for their benefit, but they give Engineers while Europe gives Scientists, and I need plasma gear for my dudes so hard.
#32 Edited by mostman (251 posts) -

@Tennmuerti: Yeah - I figured that. But when I tried to build one it complained I hadn't enough uplink. Then when I tried to build an uplink I didn't have enough power. In order to build more power, I needed to excavate. So, I needed to build ALL of this while all the time, receiving no missions at all. Once a UFO showed up but I couldn't intercept it. I was just scanning and scanning for days and days - no missions. Not a ton of resources. So I was forced to just wait for each counsel event. Struck me that perhaps I did't something wrong - but I just followed the tutorial.

#33 Posted by Fistfulofmetal (684 posts) -

I think I need to start over. Everything is falling a part. Everything. I'm the worst commander.

#34 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5796 posts) -

@Fistfulofmetal: Man I wish there was a "commander committing suicide" scene or even just a still photo of a dude with the back of his head blasted out.

#35 Posted by Adaurin (187 posts) -

@cbarnes86 said:

2. Sniper is the best freaking class ever! From when I started playing the game, I think the only person still alive (about 4-5 hours in) is my sniper. These classes are incredible. I personally have leveled him to where he can "see" anyone his squadmates see, making it to where I can leave him in a high location behind cover and even if an enemy is out of his personal sight range, he can still shoot enemies he should be able to shoot.

This right here. I have the squad look talent as well, and I have a scope equipped on my Sniper and he's got more kills than any of his other squadmates combined. I haven't had a death so far on normal, but I play really defensively. I'm sure that'll change soon though. I haven't enjoyed a strategy game as much as this since Final Fantasy Tactics.

#36 Posted by GentlemanlyGentleman (320 posts) -

@Fistfulofmetal said:

I think I need to start over. Everything is falling a part. Everything. I'm the worst commander.

Sometime you have to learn to lose before you're ready to win.

And when you're ready to win in Sweden, watch out for the moose.

#37 Posted by kerse (2117 posts) -

I just lost my guy that lived through the first mission :( he had like 10 missions completed.

#38 Edited by Tennmuerti (8145 posts) -

@mostman:

You have a link with the satellite as soon as you launch it. The only thing the uplink number determines is how many more satellites can you launch.

Seeing as how you said you already launched a satellite over China there wasn't any need to launch more yet. You only see UFOs in the zones where there is a satellite already present, if there is no satellite you don't see the UFOs.

To bring down the UFOs you need interceptor aircraft built and ready to go on that continent. Interceptors can be built at any time they do not need an uplink, they can even be built on continents where you don't have satellites yet.

#39 Posted by Chaser324 (6661 posts) -

For some reason, I can't stop playing Classic Ironman. I keep getting smashed, but I can't convince myself that it's ok to play on Normal with multiple saves...after playing Classic Ironman so much, Normal difficulty feels like cheating.

#40 Posted by MB (12785 posts) -

It feels weird to be an important international secret agency yet also so broke I can't afford some new pistols. Time to start a new game.

Moderator Online
#41 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

My first playthrough is a complete disaster. It's awesome.

#42 Posted by mostman (251 posts) -

@Tennmuerti: So is it normal that in the first few hours of the game I wasn't really finding much when I scanned? Is scanning just a fancy way of saying "pass some time"?

#43 Posted by mostman (251 posts) -

@Breadfan: I find it deeply amusing that the content of your post matches your avatar perfectly. Well played.

#44 Posted by Tennmuerti (8145 posts) -

@mostman said:

@Tennmuerti: So is it normal that in the first few hours of the game I wasn't really finding much when I scanned? Is scanning just a fancy way of saying "pass some time"?

Depends on what you are doing in those few hours i guess.

A better definition would be ingame time, it's possible to only get as few as 2-3 mission between the monthly council report, or as many as 5-7.

Scanning is for when you are either waiting for some key research or manufacturing or building to complete that progresses the story forward, or you need materials for the former. It gives you a chance to do some missions to rank up the soldiers, get resources, progress your base etc.

#45 Posted by The_Ruiner (1089 posts) -

Stick with it, you'll eventually learn the tactics. I honestly don't think this game is that hard...I might lose a recruit or two... but I was tackling "very difficult" mission in the first 2 hours and coming away with little to no casualties. I'm pretty well funded and decently equipped. You have to be mindful and patient, but it's not all that punishing, at least not so far.

#46 Posted by mostman (251 posts) -

@Tennmuerti: Makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the info.

#47 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -
@mostman

@Breadfan: I find it deeply amusing that the content of your post matches your avatar perfectly. Well played.

Totally did not mean to do that. Just got a good laugh after you pointed that out.
#48 Posted by Fistfulofmetal (684 posts) -

OK I figured out how to play this game.

I restarted on easy.

#49 Posted by Christoffer (1876 posts) -

I'm also pretty early in the game, about 6 hours, and It's going pretty well since I discovered the value of Overwatch. To investigate areas, I usually set up 2-3 units with high aim (at least one sniper, but the heavies are great too) on Overwatch then send forward a tanky decoy with a Scatter Laser. When the aliens move in to position to kill the decoy, the other guys will hopefully pop them. As much as I like snipers, I don't see a point in having more than 1-2 on each mission (usually 1). At least 1 fast support is needed.

But I guess this tactic will get desimated pretty soon.

#50 Posted by Baal_Sagoth (1274 posts) -

@Christoffer: I agree about the sprinting support soldiers. I actually pushed for a 6 soldier squad as soon as I was able to and am usually rolling with 2 heavy soldiers, 2 supports (1 smoke/ combat drugs, 1 medic), and each a sinper as well as an assault. I'm considering switching a heavy for another assault (especially since I have plasma rifles now) but I'm not sure. I leaned into the heavy soldiers out of neccessity more than anything else (took forever to get a decent second assault).

@Ravenlight: Oh fuck, that sounds reasonable in retrospect and if that turns out to be a very valid way I fucked up bad. I prioritized research first (thought leaning into a Europe base's strenght might be cool), got a workshop when I reached the second subterranean layer and I'm getting fucked for not having any additional satellites right now. So far I'm still going reasonably strong, but we'll see.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.