Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

I beat Ironman Classic without using Cover...

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

...whilst not being engaged with the enemy. I just moved my team in a 3-man deep two file formation, switching soldiers before the move animation is done, to speed up the process of exploring the map. This way, when I'd pull aggro, each soldier still can shoot, or scurry for cover - and every soldier has similar lines of sight, making focus fire easy. 6 soldiers in such a formation, in overwatch on the turn's end, all sharing the same lines of sight - they'll destroy anything coming up to them. Just wish there was an oversight priority list.

I think most people play as if they're constantly engaged with the enemy, going from cover to cover - even outside of being actively engaged - like Ryan did in the GotY Day 2 Wrap-up video. By using basic military tactics of moving in formation, one can speed-up Ironman Classic immensely - and it's actually safer and much more efficient in delivering a crippling opening blow to whatever enemy force one does encounter. It also keeps accidental 'over-pulling' to a minimum.

In fact, I'd appreciate optional realtime formation-based group movement outside of combat, kinda Pikmin-like, in a future iteration of XCOM. A measure which could vastly improve on the game's pacing, even if it would somewhat change the game's DNA.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By UnrealDP

Ergh, deceptive titles.

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By avidwriter

Yea but don't all six shoot at the same target at the same time and waste their overwatch? I thought that was stupid. If the second guy shoots and kills it, the third guy should stand down and still retain his overwatch.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Ares42

@avidwriter said:

Yea but don't all six shoot at the same target at the same time and waste their overwatch? I thought that was stupid. If the second guy shoots and kills it, the third guy should stand down and still retain his overwatch.

It doesn't matter if they all shoot at the same time. If you're always killing aliens you find during your own turn the aliens will never attack you during their turn. It's basically the crutch of the game, keep pulling to a minimum and make sure you kill anything you pull. It's an unfortunate outcome of the cover-system and necessary desicions taken because of it, there just isn't any risk in getting attacked out of nowhere.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.