Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

If Xcom was free to play, would you still play it?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Imagine an insane world where Enemy Unknown is a free to play facebook style game. The games research and building elapse in real time and so does healing of soldiers, and you could speed it up using real world cash. I'm not going to ask how you would feel about it, because we all know the answer, but do you love xcom enough to actually play it in that state?

I was just curious because I tried out a social network game on the ipad that elapses things in real days etc, and when playing xcom I thought to myself "jeez, imagine if xcom made you wait" so that is the inspiration of this thread.

The question extends beyond xcom though, and I was wondering if you think this system would ever transfer into big budget games instead of just town management games on facebook. What do you think?

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Morrow

I don't like this real-time-waiting thing, it's only slowing everything down. I played a few browser games where you could build and expand you city/island/whatever, and the waiting time until you could do your next move was just annoying. I like fast pacing!

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MikeGosot

No. X-COM could fuck right off if that was the case. Why should i wait? Because it is free? I prefer paying one time, than playing around with my patience.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Canteu

No. No I would not.

But then again I don't think I've ever played a browser game before. Nor shall I ever.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Nux

Hell no. I like XCOM and all but I would never play it if it was a Facebook style game. Hell I don'y play Facebook games because of the way they work.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

The 'waiting game' is the absolute WORST in those kinds of games. I live a lifestyle where I have enough free time right now, but I don't want the game to tell me I have to wait 24 hours for me to proceed, even if it is free.

Fuck that.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Ravenlight

No. Facebook games are for grandmas and interns.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.