Is the Xbox 360 version not a complete abortion?

#1 Posted by Demoskinos (15156 posts) -

I've been muddling over the idea of getting this for 360 since I have to get it with trades since I have no monies to spare ATM. Wondering how the 360 version is as when I think of Firaxis obviously I think of PC games. Civ Rev was decent but still... Is the console version actually worth it? I'm almost done S-Ranking Dishonored so its either get this possibly tomorrow or wait a few weeks and get WWE 13' instead.

#2 Edited by PillClinton (3297 posts) -

I think it's perfectly adequate. Didn't Ryan review it on 360?

E: from his review: "Enemy Unknown naturally looks a bit better and loads a bit faster on the PC, but there’s no real reason not to play the game on whatever your platform of choice is."

#3 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4702 posts) -

I hear it's every bit as good. Ryan prefers playing it with the 360 pad.

#4 Posted by TooWalrus (13257 posts) -

I haven't played yet but it's turn-based, right? Should be fine, then.

#5 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

I'd get this over WWE '13, which I might not have said two weeks ago before I played it.

The only problem I can think of is the outline on the ground that tells you where you will spend one or two move points sometimes doesn't even load up or takes a long while to do so. Otherwise, its a perfectly fine and enjoyable game on 360

#6 Posted by Spoonman671 (4773 posts) -

Why would you think it was?

#7 Posted by Chop (1998 posts) -

It's the same game as the pc version, sans the typical tech stuff.

#8 Posted by Cincaid (2959 posts) -

Had it hard lock on me once while loading a mission, but other than that it's been running perfectly fine.

#9 Posted by allworkandlowpay (873 posts) -

It's from the guys who did the Civ Revolution UI. It plays excellent on the 360.

#10 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2221 posts) -

I only experienced one bad glitch when I played it,(If I died during the final mission and chose the restart option rather then reload, than the characters wouldn't load up, preventing me from doing anything except pausing. Not a big deal since I had auto saves on.) other than that it was a fantastic experience.

#11 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

It's excellent on the 360. I've had yet to have any issues so far in about 30 hours.

#12 Posted by Omega (836 posts) -

I have it on the PC and played halfway through it with the keyboard and then switched to a gamepad and never looked back. XCOM is way more intuitive with a controller than a keyboard, strangely enough.

If that's what is holding you back then don't worry.

#13 Posted by Demoskinos (15156 posts) -

@Omega said:

I have it on the PC and played halfway through it with the keyboard and then switched to a gamepad and never looked back. XCOM is way more intuitive with a controller than a keyboard, strangely enough.

That is almost bizarre to hear. This kind of game seems like it would be ages better with M&K.

#14 Posted by allworkandlowpay (873 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@Omega said:

That is almost bizarre to hear. This kind of game seems like it would be ages better with M&K.

It was designed for the controller.

#15 Edited by Omega (836 posts) -

@Demoskinos: yeah, one of the reasons I bought it on pc was I thought it would be way better with M&K. Its just sort of clumsy and there are issues with height differences in selecting where you want your soldier to go. The worst is when you are in the menus I don't know how to explain it but the cursor gets hung up on selections. Sort of like they are using the mouse to emulate the d-pad on a controller. When I started using the WASD keys to navigate the base options I knew there was something terribly wrong and plugged in the gamepad.

#16 Posted by Zuldim (287 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@Omega said:

It's far from unplayable on M&K, but it's got some significant issues.

#17 Posted by Scrawnto (2466 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook said:

I'd get this over WWE '13, which I might not have said two weeks ago before I played it.

The only problem I can think of is the outline on the ground that tells you where you will spend one or two move points sometimes doesn't even load up or takes a long while to do so. Otherwise, its a perfectly fine and enjoyable game on 360

That actually happens in the PC version too, so that shouldn't really be a deciding factor.

#18 Posted by bkbroiler (1641 posts) -

@Cincaid said:

Had it hard lock on me once while loading a mission, but other than that it's been running perfectly fine.

I've had it crash on PC, so you're not alone.

#19 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4495 posts) -

@allworkandlowpay said:

@Demoskinos said:

@Omega said:

It was designed for the controller.

Bingo, I too switched from KB&M to controller.

#20 Posted by Demoskinos (15156 posts) -

Well, I downloaded and tried the demo and... I don't like this game at all. Sorry Firaxis... I'll join you when you get around to making Civ 6. What I did learn though is that I really really like Forza Horizon. So might be getting that instead!

#21 Posted by Bandit_Fox (143 posts) -

If you're worried about how it controls, I think it controls great using a gamepad. I've been using my 360 controller on my PC and I think it's the best way to play it. I played the demo and a bit of the retail version with my keyboard and mouse before switching aback to my gamepad.

The only time I touch my keyboard while playing is when I'm changing character nicknames for fun.

#22 Posted by Sackmanjones (4761 posts) -
@Demoskinos

@Omega said:

100% agree. I've used the gamepad the entire time on pc and it works beautifully. Now obviously the pc version looks better and loads in about 3-5 seconds but other than that I've heard the console versions are totally fine.
#23 Posted by Mattalorian (594 posts) -

I hear the Xbox 360 version is totally fine. If you're concerned about using a controller, don't be - it works great. I actually prefer to use a controller and I'm on the PC version. It's not a game about the graphics or anything, so it's perfectly fine on whichever platform you prefer.

#24 Posted by Jokers_Wild (215 posts) -

I'm normally a PC gamer, but I've been playing this on the 360, and it runs fine other than a few bugs. Most notably, the sniper kill-cam sometimes has terrible slowdown for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.