Is there an advantage of getting Xcom: Enemy Unkown on Pc

• 65 results
#1 Posted by Shotgunblast97 (125 posts) -

I am wondering if it would be better for me to get the game on xbox or a Pc. So if anyone has played both version could you give tell me what you perfered. Also Do you think the p.c. will have a modding community

#2 Posted by Brodehouse (9848 posts) -

Loads real fast.

#3 Posted by fox01313 (5069 posts) -

Civ 5 had a lot on the mod community so I'd have to believe this might or it could just have DLC coming to it later that the 360 or PS3 may or may not get (like Team Fortress2, Portal2). Really just goes to if you are going to play it multiplayer then what system your friends are at. Also betting that the PC version will look prettier but it will probably be easier to find used discs of Xcom for the consoles before it goes on sale on Steam.

#4 Posted by bibamatt (1086 posts) -

I went with PC because of price (£23.50 on GMG currently, with code, as opposed to £39.99 on Xbox) and because 1080p on my TV looks much nicer than 720p. I've heard a few people say that the PC load times are better too? They're super quick on PC, but I can't compare them. I imagine the multiplayer will stay active on PC for longer.

#5 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

The PC version is real fast and looks way better.

It's also $10 cheaper.

#6 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

unless you wanna play with people on the 360, get it for PC. But either option is great. In fact, the gamepad is pretty much equal to mouse and keyboard save for a few minor annoyances. And don't you dare look for a used 360 copy like @fox01313: vaguely suggested, this game deserves our support!

#7 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2685 posts) -

PC with controller is the absolute ideal.

Way better looking, loads instantly, K&M/controller support, mods later on, ~$45.

#8 Edited by HH (609 posts) -

it looks like all the bugs being reported are on the pc, at least i haven't seen any reported for the 360, and my game runs bug free.

also, loading is just not an issue, period, and it looks "way" better on the pc is, as always, an exaggeration.

#9 Edited by Protonguy (305 posts) -

PC. Looks better (this is not an exaggeration), loads faster, supports more input methods. Will more than likely support a ton of mod action. Cheaper too.

#10 Posted by HH (609 posts) -

@Protonguy said:

PC. Looks better (this is not an exaggeration),

it's the "way" that's an exaggeration.

#11 Posted by jeconner (70 posts) -

@HH: I ran into a bug on 360. I was playing normal ironman and at the end of my turn on the mission I was on 2 mutons would pop out and my game would freeze. Tried reloading my single ironman save 3-4 times, same result every time. It's too bad too, I was on my way to a nice recovery after a disastrous start that game.

#12 Posted by Delta_Ass (3276 posts) -

Better graphics and mod support.

#13 Posted by s10129107 (1183 posts) -

never underestimate the power of a quicksave button

#14 Posted by Dagbiker (6964 posts) -

I got the Physical PC version which comes with a Hardback Art book, A patch, and everything the Digital version comes with. Its also $10 more expensive but totally worth it. But it sounds like people using the mouse are having issues with roofs.

#15 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@jeconner said:

@HH: I ran into a bug on 360. I was playing normal ironman and at the end of my turn on the mission I was on 2 mutons would pop out and my game would freeze. Tried reloading my single ironman save 3-4 times, same result every time. It's too bad too, I was on my way to a nice recovery after a disastrous start that game.

I had the same issue in the PC. I kept reloading and approaching the encounter from different angles. Eventually it worked without freezing.

Not the best solution, but it worked for me.

#16 Posted by The_Nubster (2095 posts) -

If your PC can run it, go that way. If nothing else, it's cheaper.

#17 Posted by Sackmanjones (4685 posts) -

Looks pretty and plays decent with a mouse and keyboard or gamepad. Also 3 second load times are pretty rad

#18 Edited by believer258 (11785 posts) -

When is the last time PC wasn't the best option on anything?

Cheaper, faster, looks better, runs better, plays better, higher resolutions, and it's yours for eternity, meaning that if whatever PC you have on hand can run it then you can play it. As opposed to your 360, which might eventually break.

#19 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

You will still be able to play it next year when you get next gen consoles if you feel like it.

#20 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

Lot of PC people with "GPS" glasses on. Hold on a second.

Check out the digital foundry report on XCOM that came out today. The differences aren't that stark. Beyond load times and some texture pop, the 360 version is almost identical to the PC version on high. the PC version has a lot of scalability problems right now and isn't as much of a slam dunk as you might think. Plus even if you're playing on the PC, you're still going to want to use a gamepad. This game was clearly made for gamepads in mind and KB/M support for this game is clunky at best.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-xcom-face-off

My suggestion is to run the demo on your PC and see how the game takes to it. Stats wise, XCOM should run at full settings on my PC, but it doesn't, there's a problem that this game has with multicore processors that needs to be fixed. So I just picked it up on the 360.

#21 Posted by Jimbo (9799 posts) -

Women will start to look at you lustfully. Or more lustfully in my case. It will also shave two tenths off of your 100 yard dash.

#22 Posted by Jrad (621 posts) -

If you have the system for it, almost every game is better on PC. XCOM is no exception. Higher resolutions, instant load times, moddability, more control options, no FPS drops — there's simply no reason to choose the inferior console version if you have a good PC.

#23 Posted by Warchief (657 posts) -

10.00 cheaper, looks better, and comes with a copy of Civ 5 if you pre-ordered.

I totally understand why people still like console gaming...

#24 Posted by HH (609 posts) -

@Jrad said:

there's simply no reason to choose the inferior console version if you have a good PC.

this is so much horseshit. i own a high end gaming pc that i built and update myself, i also own a 360 and a PS3, and i always buy the console version of a game if there is one because, 1. i find playing on a console far more comfortable, 2. the machines are far less temperamental, 3. developers tend to give them preference because of their bigger market value (example - X-com), and 4. higher resolutions and faster loading are trivial things that make fuck all difference at the end of the day.

pc supremacists are as damned irritating as supremacists of any kind.

#25 Posted by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -
@HH Why on earth would you even build a high end gaming PC if you far prefer gaming on consoles and you consider superior graphics to make 'fuck all difference'?
#26 Posted by HH (609 posts) -

@Laivasse said:

@HH Why on earth would you even build a high end gaming PC if you far prefer gaming on consoles and you consider superior graphics to make 'fuck all difference'?

so i can play pc games on it!

isn't that obvious?!

#27 Posted by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -
@HH said:

@Laivasse said:

so i can play pc games on it!

isn't that obvious?!

Not sure if you're being sarcastic...? PC exclusives like, what, Diablo 3? Indie/retro games (neither of which require a powerful PC)? 
#28 Posted by HH (609 posts) -

@Laivasse: name any pc exclusive title, that's what i have a pc for. endless space was the last one i played, i play mmo's on it from time to time, looking forward to the enhanced edition of baldur's gate, etc. etc., do i need to illustrate this most basic of points any further?

#29 Edited by Etnos (245 posts) -

PC gives you +1000 nerd mojo.

#30 Edited by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -
@HH No, it's cool, I just think your point is basic because it isn't very good. Naming PC exclusives is what I wanted you to do, point being there are practically none that require a high end PC. Even Endless Space isn't very demanding. There are practically no PC exclusives any more, full stop. The point of having a powerful PC is performance, therefore people with high end PCs probably care about performance, yet you wrote it off as making no difference.
#31 Edited by HH (609 posts) -

@Laivasse: dude, if a new game comes out with high specs that i want to play, i get to play it, for the third freaking time that's the very obvious reason why i have a high end pc (well there are many non-game related reasons but that's why i keep a good graphics card in it). you made a poor argument and you're flogging it to death man, let it go.

#32 Posted by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -
@HH Whatever, if you think you made some kind of point, more power to you. First you said you prefer console gaming and that better performance doesn't make a difference. Now you like to play high spec PC games (of which there are zero exclusives). Have fun.
#33 Posted by HH (609 posts) -

@Laivasse: witcher 2 was an exclusive when it came out wasn't it? last time i updated the thing was before that.

yeah you did a really good job of making me realize how ridiculous i've been with with all my pointless enterprises. tell your pc i think she's a tramp.

#34 Edited by steveurkel (135 posts) -

Mods

consoles are terrible and xcom on consoles is a terrible

edit: before you guys insult me for my "consoles are terrible" comment I have an xbox 360, a ps3, and over 100 games. I Just think the medium is fucking crap compared to a PC.

#35 Posted by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -
@HH said:

@Laivasse: witcher 2 was an exclusive when it came out wasn't it? last time i updated the thing was before that.

yeah you did a really good job of making me realize how ridiculous i've been with with all my pointless enterprises. tell your pc i think she's a tramp.

Your enterprises were only pointless if you're really the special snowflake who doesn't give a shit about graphical improvements as you claimed. So you list one PC game, which was marketed mainly on its amazing graphics, good job. Also TW2 was only ever a timed exclusive. CDP talked about taking it to consoles the whole time and the radial menu and inventory UI made it obvious. Your imaginary 'pc supremacists' bought PCs for the exact same performance reasons you did, only difference being they probably don't arbitrarily dismiss the improvements in console games ported to PC.
#36 Posted by bigstrat2003 (64 posts) -

@Mesoian said:

Plus even if you're playing on the PC, you're still going to want to use a gamepad. This game was clearly made for gamepads in mind and KB/M support for this game is clunky at best.

Eh, I don't agree with that. I'm playing on the PC, and while I have a gamepad, I would never want to use that in favor of the M+KB. So there's another point for PC... if you prefer M+KB, you can do that. Or not. You have the option either way.

#37 Posted by iceman228433 (616 posts) -

Trainers that give me infinite money and what not.

#38 Posted by HH (609 posts) -

@Laivasse: i like good graphics just as much as the next guy and if i'm playing a game on the pc i want the best possible performance, otherwise it wouldn't be as worthwhile, but at no point is that improvement in performance worth more to me than the comfort of playing on my living room set-up. surely you could have come to this conclusion from my very first post.

#39 Edited by Yalbit (66 posts) -

@Mesoian said:

My suggestion is to run the demo on your PC and see how the game takes to it.

This is the best advice, if the demo runs well for you and you're happy with it then go PC.

#40 Posted by Vitor (2815 posts) -

@Mesoian said:

Lot of PC people with "GPS" glasses on. Hold on a second.

Check out the digital foundry report on XCOM that came out today. The differences aren't that stark. Beyond load times and some texture pop, the 360 version is almost identical to the PC version on high. the PC version has a lot of scalability problems right now and isn't as much of a slam dunk as you might think. Plus even if you're playing on the PC, you're still going to want to use a gamepad. This game was clearly made for gamepads in mind and KB/M support for this game is clunky at best.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-xcom-face-off

My suggestion is to run the demo on your PC and see how the game takes to it. Stats wise, XCOM should run at full settings on my PC, but it doesn't, there's a problem that this game has with multicore processors that needs to be fixed. So I just picked it up on the 360.

Yeah, but both console versions also suffer from poor performance as is mentioned there. Even a modest PC could run this game at 30FPS at 1080 so I really don't think it's that hard a decision if the OP has an OK rig.

#41 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1087 posts) -

@HH said:

it looks like all the bugs being reported are on the pc, at least i haven't seen any reported for the 360, and my game runs bug free.

also, loading is just not an issue, period, and it looks "way" better on the pc is, as always, an exaggeration.

you have very low standards my friend.

#42 Posted by Wuddel (2090 posts) -

Load times on consoles are really what kills my enjoyment of games on them lately. XCOM on PC on my SSD loads so fast I can not even read the loading screen tips.

#43 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1087 posts) -

@Laivasse said:

@HH said:

Your enterprises were only pointless if you're really the special snowflake who doesn't give a shit about graphical improvements as you claimed. So you list one PC game, which was marketed mainly on its amazing graphics, good job. Also TW2 was only ever a timed exclusive. CDP talked about taking it to consoles the whole time and the radial menu and inventory UI made it obvious. Your imaginary 'pc supremacists' bought PCs for the exact same performance reasons you did, only difference being they probably don't arbitrarily dismiss the improvements in console games ported to PC.

HH is lying, he doesn't have a PC, or at least a PC that can run any game, if he did he wouldn't be saying shit like that.

PC has better graphics, higher resolution, instant loads, you can run triple screen in 3D and depending on your rig it can be quieter. (also, it is a turn based game, if i'm bored i just press the Windows key and load something on Youtube)

But it all comes with a price, a ridiculous... ridiculously high price.

#44 Posted by HH (609 posts) -

@jayjonesjunior said:

HH is lying, he doesn't have a PC, or at least a PC that can run any game, if he did he wouldn't be saying shit like that.

that's some foolhardy claim, and some simple-minded reasoning.

#45 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

PC

it's superior in everyway except in those cases where the port is borked (or if you like sitting on a couch and don't have the ability to run a HDMI cable I suppose)

Still, the pros definitely outweigh the, errr, "con"

#46 Posted by Dagbiker (6964 posts) -

@Wuddel said:

Load times on consoles are really what kills my enjoyment of games on them lately. XCOM on PC on my SSD loads so fast I can not even read the loading screen tips.

I didn't even know there was a loading screen.

#47 Posted by Asrahn (552 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@Wuddel said:

I didn't even know there was a loading screen.

What is this loading screen you gentlemen speak of? Surely, you jest.

Also, PC. Firaxis has their hearts and minds there still, and will undoubtedly patch whatever issues it has pronto. I can't speak for the graphics differences however, as it's hardly a demanding game by today's standards, but I am looking forward to the day someone sits down and creates a 40k mod.

The Emperor demands it.

#48 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@Asrahn Holy shit.

HOLY SHIT!

Space Hulk. Deathwatch Kill Team. Inquisitor and party. Eldar Harlequins.

The possibilities are endless$
#49 Posted by Asrahn (552 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair:

Firaxis has always been huge on modding, just look at the Civ games!

Looking forward to leading my Angels against the tide on the Hulk. Would probably be the easiest and quickest to mod in. It's going to be legendary :>

#50 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

360 = Achievements

PC = Better Product

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.