Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

Is there any point to capturing an alien more then once?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I did not see this topic so I am gonna ask here. I have the chance to capture another Thin man. I have done it before so is there any reason to keep nabbing them? 

Freezer_Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Freezer_Burn

Mostly, it's for their weapons. It's alot easier than having to make them yourself

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Terramagi

Free plasma weapons.

Very useful to have a full squad with Small Plasma Rifles before the Alien Base.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Turambar

Both free plasma weapons and alien grenades. Of course, if you're actually in need of weapon fragments for some reason, capture might not be a good idea. Also there;s never a point in capturing berserkers or etherals.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Terramagi

@Turambar said:

Both free plasma weapons and alien grenades. Of course, if you're actually in need of weapon fragments for some reason, capture might not be a good idea. Also there;s never a point in capturing berserkers or etherals.

Other than being able to walk into your base like you own the place and be like "hey Vahlen look what I brought you" and she'll be unimpressed because you researched everything but you do it anyways because it's the only way she feels relevant any more.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

How do you capture chrsolyds?

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ThunderSlash

@The_Laughing_Man said:

AFAIK, you can't capture them. I know that you definitely can't in the original.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @ThunderSlash

@The_Laughing_Man said:

AFAIK, you can't capture them. I know that you definitely can't in the original.

They can't be captured. R.I.P. Patrick "Scoops" Klepek but also fuck Zombie Patrick.
    BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BisonHero

Yeah, there's only a few enemies worth capturing more than once.

• Stun and capture a regular-ass Sectoid, and you get his plasma pistol. It'll obviously be a while in the game before your research the use of plasma weapons, but if you capture like 6 Sectoids, you'll have enough pistols for your whole squad just waiting for you
    • Thin Men and Floaters (and maybe a few more enemy types?) seem to carry the Light Plasma Rifle, so you should be able to get a bunch of these for free (again, ready and waiting when you finally research plasma weapons)
    • Perhaps most importantly, stun a bunch of Mutons to get Plasma Rifles, which is otherwise fairly expensive
    • Technically you can stun Elite Mutons to get the Plasma Machine Gun (forget the actual name) for your Heavies, but those enemies appear later than all of the aforementioned enemies, and you probably should have already bought yourself a Plasma Machine Gun by that point (especially since you only need like 1-2 because you never really need more than 2 heavies in your squad at once). If you're going up against Elite Mutons with a Laser Machine Gun, you may have some difficulty.
    zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By zaccheus

@BisonHero said:

Yeah, there's only a few enemies worth capturing more than once.

• Stun and capture a regular-ass Sectoid, and you get his plasma pistol. It'll obviously be a while in the game before your research the use of plasma weapons, but if you capture like 6 Sectoids, you'll have enough pistols for your whole squad just waiting for you
    • Thin Men and Floaters (and maybe a few more enemy types?) seem to carry the Light Plasma Rifle, so you should be able to get a bunch of these for free (again, ready and waiting when you finally research plasma weapons)
    • Perhaps most importantly, stun a bunch of Mutons to get Plasma Rifles, which is otherwise fairly expensive
    • Technically you can stun Elite Mutons to get the Plasma Machine Gun (forget the actual name) for your Heavies, but those enemies appear later than all of the aforementioned enemies, and you probably should have already bought yourself a Plasma Machine Gun by that point (especially since you only need like 1-2 because you never really need more than 2 heavies in your squad at once). If you're going up against Elite Mutons with a Laser Machine Gun, you may have some difficulty.

That's a nice summary. Also you get some alien grenades.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Any tips for capturing? Is it worth upgrading the Arc Thrower? I have caught thinmen,floaters,and sectoids. Right now Im face rolling Mutons and anything that comes my way. 

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BisonHero

@The_Laughing_Man: Yeah, upgrading the Arc Thrower can be helpful, as instead of needing to get their health to 3 or below, it becomes 6 and below. And if you do still manage to get an enemy down to like 1-3 health, you have a 95% stun rate.

That being said, I ended up capturing a lot of aliens with the default Arc Thrower, though there were a lot of awkward situations where I was whittling down health using pistols so I didn't accidentally kill what I was trying to capture.

In case you haven't picked up on the pattern, most (all?) interrogations end up giving you a "research credit" that applies to a certain category and reduces its research time by either 25% or 50%. So they're more useful the earlier you get them, but if you think you still have a lot of research to go, then try to capture new dudes. Plus it's a fun challenge.

Anyway, I tend to put Arc Throwers on Assault class dudes, as they're always on the front line anyways, and have a couple skills that make them more survivable at close range. You could also put them on Supports, since they have a skill that lets them move farther (and thus closer into Arc Thrower range), and they can get a skill that lets them carry two items (you'll probably want a Medikit and an Arc Thrower).

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ninja_Welshman

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Any tips for capturing? Is it worth upgrading the Arc Thrower? I have caught thinmen,floaters,and sectoids. Right now Im face rolling Mutons and anything that comes my way.

I've found the suppression skill to be the most useful skill (Support and Heavy classes) when capturing enemies. Suppress a guy then the another member of your squad to run up and zap em. Oh and it helps if there on 3 health or less. Hope this helps.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By zaccheus

@Ninja_Welshman said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

I've found the suppression skill to be the most useful skill (Support and Heavy classes) when capturing enemies. Suppress a guy then the another member of your squad to run up and zap em. Oh and it helps if there on 3 health or less. Hope this helps.

I played on easy so I don't know how this works on other difficulties but the Arc Thrower upgrade was super good and gave me the confidence to go after Elite Mutons and other late game enemies.

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Zuldim

@Zaccheus said:

@Ninja_Welshman said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

I played on easy so I don't know how this works on other difficulties but the Arc Thrower upgrade was super good and gave me the confidence to go after Elite Mutons and other late game enemies.

I found the Arc Thrower upgrade to be prettty much required to capture late-game enemies on Normal Ironman. Even with it, I never managed to capture an Ethereal. Got a lot of assaults killed trying though.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Funkydupe

I like the light-plasma simply because it is slightly easier to aim than the heavier version.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.