Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

Little confused on how the campaign works

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Sackmanjones

This is on my phone so I apologize in advance for spelling errors

Anyway I'm a bit confused on how the campaign is supposed to work. I know the game isn't out but is there an actual story in the game tha you follow other than "oh god aliens everywhere!" Or is it more like the civ games where each time you start it's basically just a set of random events that happen so its somewhat different everytime? Thanks duders!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#2  Edited By ArbitraryWater

If it's anything like the first game, it's that the missions are random and will get progressively harder as time goes by and you beat the game by researching technology that allows you to go to the main alien base.

Dredlockz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Dredlockz

According to previews there will be story "milestones" as you progress through the game, that will dictate the type of aliens and UFOs you are shown, but other than that the maps and actual alien compositions are completely random.

You can also play indefinitely as long as you don't go to that last story mission, much like in the original.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By zaccheus

I didn't actually realize this before the QL. It's like FTL basically. You are heading to a final encounter through random events.

kwyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By kwyee

@Sackmanjones: My understanding is that there are story missions as well as random missions (e.g. UFO landed and started terrorizing civies so go kill aliens, shoot down UFO then investigate the crash, etc.).

There seem to be story-related tasks like "build containment facility" followed by "capture an alien" and then "interrogate alien".

If it's like the original, this will culminate in reaching the alien mothership or homeworld
    Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Dagbiker

The comparison to civ is apt.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sackmanjones

Sounds excellent. Cannot wait to play this game!

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Arabes

@Sackmanjones:

It's not truly random. Enemy composition is random but there are 80 maps whcih are selected for the 30 odd missions that you play in the campaign. There is always 30 whatever missions. THere are also set sotry missions - defusing bombs etc. This is not like old x-com where you could drag out a game forever if you wanted by just not going to Mars, or not completing the right research. This is much more structured. If you fail a mission the story continues you but you loose standing with the nation that mission takes place in. The randomness comes in with the order of some story missions (non critical story events) and the location of the missions. Also, I presume, depending on whether or not you shot down a ufo (crash mission), let it get away (no mission), or had it land (landed UFO mission). It's not at all like FTL (totally random) and not really like Civ as it has a defined story structure with a beginning middle and end.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By MarkWahlberg

The more I hear about this game the more crazy it sounds. I've gone from zero interest to moderate within the past week. I mean, a randomly generated strategy game? That's crazy talk.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sackmanjones

@MarkWahlberg said:

The more I hear about this game the more crazy it sounds. I've gone from zero interest to moderate within the past week. I mean, a randomly generated strategy game? That's crazy talk.

If you'd like I can direct you to a 2 hour livestream of the game on gamespot. It was super interesting and pretty much pushed me over the edge.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By BBQBram

@Sackmanjones: I'd love a link to that!

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sackmanjones

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.