Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

Losing 8 countries

Cky4890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Cky4890

I am curently about 8 hours in and ive already lost 6 countries. I just went to the alien base so i dont know how much more of the story there is. should i keep going and finish off the base and go back to try to manage the countries i have left or should i just fuck it and restart. I also very short on engeeners but i have 40 or so scientist did i fuck up or is it normal. any ways thanks in advance.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Terramagi

Build satellites for the remaining countries.

You're in an admittedly pretty dire spot for halfway through the game, and if you don't have Firestorms ready to go soon, odds are you probably are going to lose when the UFOs upgrade and start doing bombing runs.

Vagner36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Vagner36

i think you should start over sry

IceColdGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By IceColdGamer

You're screwed.

Cky4890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Cky4890

@Terramagi: ufo bomb run holy shit im fucked i havent upgraded any of my ships i should research on the ufo ship

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Xeirus

I would restart. I was dead set against restarting, but it's almost a requirement it seems.

This game is really unforgiving and rather annoyingly it doesn't explain shit at the start, so when picking a country I had no idea what the hell I was picking as far as perks.

I've already caught up to first game in my second play through in half the time and I've lost significantly less soldiers.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Dagbiker

@cky4890 said:

@Terramagi: ufo bomb run holy shit im fucked i havent upgraded any of my ships i should research on the ufo ship

What have you been doing for 8 hours? You have 40 scientists, and you haven't researched the UFO?

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Terramagi

@Dagbiker said:

@cky4890 said:

What have you been doing for 8 hours? You have 40 scientists, and you haven't researched the UFO?

I did the same thing my second run. More pressing matters.

You can totally salvage this run. It's just going to be BALLS hard.

Cky4890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Cky4890

@Dagbiker: i hadnt seen it in the q i was researching weapens plus i only have one satellite up

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By Dagbiker

@cky4890 said:

@Dagbiker: i hadnt seen it in the q i was researching weapens plus i only have one satellite up

yah, i guess it never really gives you much feedback about how your managing your base, except for the monthly reports, but those don't really help.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BisonHero

@cky4890 said:

I'm actually not sure how you've just finished the alien base with only one satellite up. How have you been able to afford anything? Granted, you get money from doing missions sometimes, but the monthly funding you get from countries with satellite coverage is pretty key. I would recommend making more satellites, and building more satellite buildings in your base.

By the time you're 8 hours in and just finishing the alien base, I'd recommend...3-5 satellites? That's a really rough ballpark figure based on one playthrough. Maybe even a couple more than that?

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HaltIamReptar

It's very weird the game makes you commit to a set of perks before you have any concept of what those perks might be good for.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Damn dude stop being a Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Anomareh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Anomareh

I really wish the research would just tell you what you get out of it rather than some vague description. I totally didn't research the upgraded interceptors early enough because the vague prerequisites sounded like shit and I had no idea I needed to research like 2-3 things before I even unlocked the ability to do so. I think I may be fucked but I'm gonna play it out and see. I sunk all my research into armor and weapons early so the game has been cake on normal. I've only lost 5 guys, 3 of which were from the tutorial.

To the OP, I recommend playing your game out. It doesn't sound like you're going to make it much further and the more experience you can take into your next playthrough the better.

Also, pretty much never go for scientists. Engineers are way more important, especially early. As long as you're capturing each alien type close to when you run into them and do the resulting interrogations/autopsies, your research will be fast enough.

Forderz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Forderz

@Anomareh: Unless you literally never get any scientists and have only 8 three months in. I had 50 engineers but 8 god damn labcoats.

After getting the plasma credits light rifles will still take ~40 days.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#16  Edited By fox01313

Sounds rough & starting over might be better. Still would be nice in this game if you can gain back lost countries but takes some extra missions to do so.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jozzy

@HaltIamReptar said:

It's very weird the game makes you commit to a set of perks before you have any concept of what those perks might be good for.

I understand your point, but that's only a problem on the first playthrough. This game is meant to be replayed over and over again, it's not a story campaign kind of game you play once. And they do tell you the perks but you just don't realize the importance of any until you have some experience under your belt, not sure if they actually could explain them better to people that haven't played the game. Research is extremely vague though, probably on purpose to give you a feeling of: Hey, that's a weird alien thing we have no experience with. I guess we will look at it for a while and try to figure it out an see if we can use it in some way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.