NAMES!!!!1!

• 83 results
#1 Posted by crusader8463 (14415 posts) -

As I'm sure it is well known by now X-Com allows you to customize your party by choosing what each member of your squad not only looks and sounds like, but what their names are as well. Typically most people name them after friends/family to give them that extra emotional punch when they get a laser beam to the head and they are laying on the ground bleeding out begging for help. Sadly I have a rather limited supply of people that I care about so I'm going to be needing some more variety in names as I throw my soldiers into the meat grinder. So to avoid myself -and others- running into name paralysis I thought it would be fun/useful if we had a big pool of names to pick from in an easy to read list form!

So throw down your ideas for names or interesting/famous groups to base them off of. I'm thinking of making a squad based around my favourite wrestlers from when I was a kid like Macho Man, Sgt. Slaughter, Bret Heart, Undertaker etc. I'm also thinking of going with the Ninja Turtles and some other cartoons that I grew up watching at some point too. I think it would be funny to name them after Looney Toon characters as well.

So anyway, here are my names:

• William Hodgen
  • Celestra
  • Andromeda
  • Piva
  • Horry Houdini
  • Zoltun
  • Tiberius Wrex
  • Roland Orlando
  • Isabella Winters
  • Macho Man
  • Sgt. Slaughter
  • Bret Heart
  • Undertaker
  • Leonardo
  • Donatello
  • Michelangelo
  • Raphael
  • Casey Jones
  • Bugs Bunny
  • Daffy Duck
  • Marvin Martain
  • Tasmanian Devil
  • Sylvester
  • Tweety
  • Road Runner
  • Wile E. Coyote
#2 Posted by Shimastu (35 posts) -

You can go with Comics. Like The Avengers or the Justice League but not their alter egos but their real names aka Bruce Wayne Clark Kent Hal Jordon etc. There are plenty of comic book teams you can make into xcom squads.

#3 Posted by Catarrhal (821 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

• Bret Heart

If you're going to reference the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be, at least spell his name right.

#4 Posted by AbeBroHamLincon (88 posts) -

Dutch

Dillon

Poncho

Hawkins

Blain

Mac

Billy

Anna

my first team will be named after the characters in Predator sense they have experiences in this field :-) after that everyone from Kelly's hero's if i need more names chances are im about to loose.:-(

#5 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

Ripley, Vasquez, Hicks, Hudson, Weirzbowski, Apone, Gorman, etc.

#6 Posted by Brodehouse (9649 posts) -

I'll name my dudes after whatever country they're from. I actually really like the sort of art or science of names and how languages develop over hundreds of years.

#7 Posted by Brodehouse (9649 posts) -
@gladspooky
WIERZBOWSKI!!!!
#8 Edited by Rafaelfc (1318 posts) -

you gotta name a dude Ryan Davis and then whenever he screws up a shot you yell at the screen FUCK RYAN DAVIS!!!!

also, drink (optional)

#9 Posted by Lanceuppercut (129 posts) -

I'm going with Will Smith of Independence Day fame, not the internets Will Smith. Welcome to Earf!

#10 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7056 posts) -
@Lanceuppercut
I'm going with Will Smith of Independence Day fame, not the internets Will Smith. Welcome to Earf!
They're the same guy, actually.
#11 Edited by UberDarKnight (8 posts) -

I think I'm going to go with all the names given to Reb Brown in the movie Space Mutiny by the guys at mst3k or (mystery science theater 3000).

Slab Bulkhead

Fridge Largemeat

Punt Speedchunk

Butch Deadlift

Bold Bigflank

Splint Chesthair

Flint Ironstag

Bolt Vanderhuge

Thick McRunfast

Blast Hardcheese

Buff Drinklots

Crunch Slamchest

Fist Rockbone

Stump Beefknob

Smash Lampjaw

Punch Rockgroin

Buck Plankchest

Stump Junkman

Dirk Hardpec

Rip Steakface

Slate Slabrock

Crud Bonemeal

Brick Hardmeat

Rip Slagcheek

Punch Sideiron

Gristle McThornbody

Slate Fistcrunch

Buff Hardback

Bob Johnson (oh, wait...)

Blast Thickneck

Crunch Buttsteak

Slab Squatthrust

Lump Beefbroth

Touch Rustrod

Beef Blastbody

Big McLargehuge

Smoke Manmuscle

Beat Punchmeat

Hack Blowfist

Roll Fizzlebeef

#12 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Rafaelfc said:

you gotta name a dude Ryan Davis and then whenever he screws up a shot you yell at the screen FUCK RYAN DAVIS!!!!

also, drink (constantly)

FTFY :P

#13 Edited by BaneFireLord (2913 posts) -

I'm just going to leave them as the defaults because I'm boring.

#14 Posted by AlisterCat (5489 posts) -

I go with Phoenix Wright characters, so I'll probably go with:

• Phoenix
  • Apollo
  • Maya
  • Godot
  • VonKarma
  • Ema Skye
#15 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11498 posts) -

I will name my squad after both friends and pop culture icons and then watch in horror as they are picked off by aliens.

#16 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5339 posts) -

Lee Marvin

#17 Edited by bushpusherr (762 posts) -

When naming my characters in games, I frequently use the algorithm known as the "John Substitution".

Genghis John

McJohnalds

LeJohn James

Sean Johnery

John Solo

Johndaliza Rice

Deceptijohn (and Autobob)

John Mower

John Ton Soup

Johndike Bar

Jane Johnda

Johnald Trump

Johnatello

Johnald Reagan

John Swanson

And you can see how the list goes on from there...my usual main is Deceptijohn.

#18 Posted by Labman (287 posts) -

I'll probably use a couple of my go to names for characters...i.e. Rick O'Shay if it's a guy, and Communal Kate if it's a chick. I may also pay homage to various sci-fi shows I like, such as Firefly, Doctor Who, TNG, SG-1, etc. OR, I might just say eff it and go with the stock character names.

#19 Posted by Forderz (247 posts) -

Twilight Sparkle's gonna have to mix it up with Jeff Gurstmann, Raine Sage, Charlie Tunoku, Jean-luc Picard and swallow her Hasbro pride by working with Megatron.

#20 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2233 posts) -

Im naming my characters after my friends. Yes, I know, they're going to get killed, however I'm putting numerical values after their name. For instance, it might be Michael III, Derrick IV, Sebastien XXVI

Makes me think I have an army of clones

#21 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4331 posts) -

I want to name them all Bob.

#22 Edited by BoG (5185 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater said:

I will name my squad after both friends and pop culture icons and then watch in horror as they are picked off by aliens.

It depends on the icon. You may feel warm inside when you "accidentally" send Justin Bieber his death.

@Brodehouse said:

I'll name my dudes after whatever country they're from. I actually really like the sort of art or science of names and how languages develop over hundreds of years.

This is my plan. Of course, they come with names that reflect their home countries, so I'll probably just keep default names. I may adjust nicknames, however, and appearances. If I get a man named Zhang Li and he's black, I'm going to change that. I'll probably make all the females hotter, too, because why not.

Oh, and I might name one guy Kitkat Chunky. After those OXM videos, it just seems like the right thing to do.

#23 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4585 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

@gladspooky
WIERZBOWSKI!!!!

Whoever gets your entire squad killed has to retroactively be named Spunkmeyer.

#24 Posted by crusader8463 (14415 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook said:

Im naming my characters after my friends. Yes, I know, they're going to get killed, however I'm putting numerical values after their name. For instance, it might be Michael III, Derrick IV, Sebastien XXVI

Makes me think I have an army of clones

That's actually what I was thinking of doing when I get lazy. Make my own little story in my head about taking a DNA sample every time they leave for a mission and just clone them when they get back and customize them to look exactly the same. If I get real lazy I may just end up going by their class and call them Sniper I, Sniper II, Support IV, Heavy IX etc.

#25 Posted by Turambar (6677 posts) -

Just gonna pick and choose from the cast of various Super Robot Wars games.  A very incomplete list below.

Haran Banjou
Jiron Amos
Chirico Cuvie
Kei Katsuragi
Kamille Bidan
Quattro Bajeena
Amuro Ray
Heero Yui
Garrod Ran
Loran Cehack
Setsuna F. Seiei
Shinobu Fujiwara
Aoi Hidaka
Ryouma Nagare
Hayato Jin
Benkei Kuruma
Kabuto Kouji
Shunsuke Akagi
Roger Smith
Klein Sandman
Alto Saotome
Nekki Basara

#26 Posted by OtakuGamer (1224 posts) -

I'm going to call one Ramirez.

#27 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

I hear that if you name every single soldier "Batman" then you can't lose.

#28 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Action movie heroes I think

Or I'm going to be really conceited and name them after characters from stories I've written

#29 Edited by haggis (1677 posts) -

It's too bad they don't have name banks like in Worms, where you could choose a certain subset of names for the game to randomly cycle through. For awhile, I had team names based on the Simpsons. That'd be fun.

I'll almost certainly be using favorite sci-fi authors names. Look out John Scalzi and Alastair Reynolds--you're going to get smoked.

#30 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1921 posts) -
#31 Posted by Aetheldod (3515 posts) -

@gladspooky said:

@Brodehouse:

WEYLAND YUTANI >:3

#32 Posted by vaportra1l (270 posts) -

I'll name them after coworkers I hate and send them out to die.

#33 Edited by Mustachio (242 posts) -

If it gives you more names to watch being slaughtered helplessly by aliens, I might as well pitch in a few character names I use for Mount & Blade, Dark Souls, Sims and the like:

• Maximus McBravery
  • Ass Blaster
  • El Soupador
  • Buff McSmashington
  • Monty Ponty
  • Captain Ahab

User warning: Maximus McBravery and Buff McSmashington may make the game too easy due to their overexerting manliness which will no doubt allow them to defeat any alien scum with their fists alone. Apply at your own risk.

#34 Posted by Labman (287 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba said:

I hear that if you name every single soldier "Batman" then you can't lose.

Holy shit! I can't believe I didn't think of this before (seeing since it's my avatar and all), but I'm going to name three of my characters Russian Martian Batman, Regular-Ass Batman, and Green Lantern Batman.

#35 Posted by bunnymud (717 posts) -

Gonna name every one of them Ryan Davis and run them out into the open without any cover and watch them die.

#36 Edited by Village_Guy (2507 posts) -

Frank Love?

Bradley Bootmaker?

Vincent Caravaggio?

Big Jeffrey?

Mr. Gerstmania?

David Ryans?

#37 Posted by Dredlockz (343 posts) -

Guys, this isnt out in europe yet. So what happens if you name them "sid meier" like in the quicklook?

#38 Posted by nate6858 (164 posts) -

In my game, I have a distinct feeling that the Might Morphin Power Rangers are going to meet a gruesome, horrifying end.

#39 Posted by bkbroiler (1610 posts) -

A premade guy had the last name Morel, so I made him Morel Orel. I'm already frightened of him dying.

#40 Posted by Iodine (543 posts) -

Characters from the wire, just for my own fucked up stories

#41 Posted by Iodine (543 posts) -

@BoG said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

It depends on the icon. You may feel warm inside when you "accidentally" send Justin Bieber his death.

@Brodehouse said:

This is my plan. Of course, they come with names that reflect their home countries, so I'll probably just keep default names. I may adjust nicknames, however, and appearances. If I get a man named Zhang Li and he's black, I'm going to change that. I'll probably make all the females hotter, too, because why not.

Oh, and I might name one guy Kitkat Chunky. After those OXM videos, it just seems like the right thing to do.

Bob Geldof!

#42 Posted by AndrewB (7519 posts) -

All of you had better name one of your guys Spaceman Spiff.

#43 Posted by gaminghooligan (1424 posts) -

@Brodehouse: EXACTLY

naming culture is fascinating, plus nothing bugs me more than having an Irish soldier named Albert Vasquez lol

#44 Posted by spiralcut (118 posts) -

@UberDarKnight: Took the liberty of doing this in my game, thought it would be funny... Oh the horror... I have a Heavy named Fridge 'Flash' Hugemeat... hahahaha

#45 Posted by KimChi4U (368 posts) -

Pylon

Cannon Fodder

Speed Bump

Road Kill

Lunch Lady

Keyboard Headroll

Garden Gnome

Moldy Ham

Beer Fart

Flat Tire

Twoshoes Onefoot

I guess I'm expecting all of my dudes to die and therefore they don't get any serious names.

#46 Posted by damswedon (3175 posts) -

@gaminghooligan said:

naming culture is fascinating, plus nothing bugs me more than having an Irish soldier named Albert Vasquez lol

Just name him Albert O'Vasquez then.

#47 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7056 posts) -
@damswedon

@gaminghooligan said:

Dooooo iiiiiiiiitttt
#48 Posted by Butano (1728 posts) -

@bushpusherr said:

When naming my characters in games, I frequently use the algorithm known as the "John Substitution".

Genghis John

McJohnalds

LeJohn James

Sean Johnery

John Solo

Johndaliza Rice

Deceptijohn (and Autobob)

John Mower

John Ton Soup

Johndike Bar

Jane Johnda

Johnald Trump

Johnatello

Johnald Reagan

John Swanson

And you can see how the list goes on from there...my usual main is Deceptijohn.

This sounds eerily similar to what my roommate would name his RPG characters, only he'd name them the class replaced with a J, so...

Jarbarian the Barbarian

Jizard the Wizard (heh)

Jief the Thief

Jogue the Rogue

Jarrior the Warrior

You get the idea.

#49 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

I plan on calling the rookies

# 1

# 2

# 3

# 4

# 5

# 6

# 7

You get the idea. I'm also hoping that I can put a bar code on their necks. They'll have to regain their names through combat.

#50 Posted by gaminghooligan (1424 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

@damswedon

@gaminghooligan said:

Dooooo iiiiiiiiitttt

It shall be done.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.