Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

NAMES!!!!1!

• 82 results
    HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By HH

as commander of the x-com forces i will be assuming this persona:

No Caption Provided

and thereby assigning my troops the most racist derogatory names i can think of.

fresh meat is fresh meat.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By DeF

Make 'em all Power Rangers! :-D

Red Ranger

Green Ranger

Blue Ranger

Black Ranger

Yellow Ranger

Pink Ranger

White Ranger

Zeo Ranger V Red

Zeo Ranger IV Green

Zeo Ranger III Blue

Zeo Ranger II Yellow

Zeo Ranger I Pink

Gold Zeo Ranger

Red Turbo Ranger

Blue Turbo Ranger

...etc :-)

eggshellskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By eggshellskull

@DeF: LoL what season is that show in? I remember the originals baby! Pink Ranger was the hottest chic on earth... at the time. Also, I was 10.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By SeanFoster

I've been using a mix of names from the TV shows 24 and Battlestar Galactica. My top guy is Tony Almeida. I'll probably start using names from Lost pretty soon.

martindn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By martindn

Haha me too pretty much ^^ and from games, but my main guy is always named after me, so i protect his ass with everything i got.

jonny_mung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By jonny_mung

@AbeBroHamLincon said:

Dutch

Dillon

Poncho

Hawkins

Blain

Mac

Billy

Anna

my first team will be named after the characters in Predator sense they have experiences in this field :-) after that everyone from Kelly's hero's if i need more names chances are im about to loose.:-(

You are awesome.

Also:

No Caption Provided

Love me some Sess.

;)

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By DeF

@spiralcut said:

@DeF: LoL what season is that show in? I remember the originals baby! Pink Ranger was the hottest chic on earth... at the time. Also, I was 10.

Season 23705 or something :D ..if you're really hardcore you're going with the Japanese Super Sentai originals. Gives you way more names, I'd say^^

eggshellskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By eggshellskull

@DeF said:

@spiralcut said:

Season 23705 or something :D ..if you're really hardcore you're going with the Japanese Super Sentai originals. Gives you way more names, I'd say^^

That's a brilliant idea, just use the generic names for all the characters. You'd never run out!

Avatar image for farbelowaverage
    Farbelowaverage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Farbelowaverage

The ideal team (with bench) should be Miller, Horvath, Caparzo, Mellish, Reiben, Jackson, Wade and Ryan. Just never take Upham, that fucker will panic and get everyone killed.

eggshellskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By eggshellskull

My next team;

Twilight Sparkle

Rainbow Dash

Rarity

Fluttershy

Pinkie Pie

Applejack

It will be a sad day when one of them dies, but holy hell will I get my revenge.

Iceland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61  Edited By Iceland

David Bowie

Major Tom

Alladin Sane

Ziggy Stardust

Jared Goblinking

Thin White Duke

kerikxi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#62  Edited By kerikxi

I was inspired by the Quicklook EX and named all my guys after the Giantbomb crew (and extended Whiskey family). Vinny and Brad both just hit max rank in Sniper and Assault respectively.

RIP Ryan and Drew.

Avatar image for farbelowaverage
    Farbelowaverage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Farbelowaverage

I've actually had a pretty good experience with the naming system in this game, save for Nicknames. I do a little tinkering with the appearance to make the character model fit the name/ethnicity a bit better (Why do Caucasians have more face types than other ethnicities?), but they are pretty good. My All-Star has been a support man from Norway, named Finn Hagen, whom I felt I had to turn blonde and supply him with a dense beard.

On Sergeant, he was given the name "Flash," but he is clearly Finn "Hoagie" Hagen, show some damned respect.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#64  Edited By crusader8463

I ended up liking a lot of the default names and would just change ether the first or last and make up some Nickname that fit the class. Next game however I think I'm going to go with a clone themed meta story in my head and just name then stuff like TK1, TK2, TK3/Clone 1, Clone 2, Clone 3 etc. and just give them nicknames based on their class.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#65  Edited By oraknabo

I'm planning to name all of mine after great writers, but got so wrapped up in the first few missions, I haven't renamed anyone yet.

Jnal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Jnal

Starting up a new game, but will probably go with some Stargate SG-1 names as well as Predator names. The one thing I edit on all rookies is their armor color. Everyone is a red shirt until the get promoted.

Avatar image for apocalypselater
    ApocalypseLater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#67  Edited By ApocalypseLater

@Shimastu said:

You can go with Comics. Like The Avengers or the Justice League but not their alter egos but their real names aka Bruce Wayne Clark Kent Hal Jordon etc. There are plenty of comic book teams you can make into xcom squads.

I did this. I started with the Avengers using their real names and their alter egos as nicknames and found it surprisingly apt for the game. Only Thor Odinson has stumped me on the nickname. I'm at the point where I have so many guys, that I've just gone on to include Xmen and other Marvel properties and the lone DC character, Batman.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By ShaggE

I did the Bomb Crew because of course I did. Ryan "Giant Bomb" Davis, Brad "Team Brad" Shoemaker and Vinny "Cunt" Caravella lasted from tutorial to first terror mission (where they all died... Ryan stood his ground until the bitter end, but got overwhelmed). The fourth spot was a revolving door of dead rookies: Jeff, Drew, Matt Rorie, Matt Kessler, Dave, and Luchadeer (as Lucha Deer).

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I named my dudes after myself and friends. That way I can yell at my real friends for letting me down. Is it weird that I felt a great deal of satisfaction when my dude was the only one with psi abilities?

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#70  Edited By Kerned

I named several after my friends, and others I have been naming sort of randomly after various people or fictional characters. For example, Liz Lemon is a fairly badass heavy, while RuPaul Charles has become my most valuable sniper. I have a Jeff Gerstmann, but he's still a rookie.

Sadly, the first two to die were my two best friends. I was starting to think this game was too easy and then I got to the first terror mission. Zombies straight fucked those guys up. RIP Ian and Ryan.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#71  Edited By MildMolasses

So far I only made a mitt Romney and Barack Obama. Both were doing great, Obama as an amazing sniper and Romney as a run and gun. Sadly Mitt just wiped along with the rest of the team in a clusterfuck encounter in Vancouver while trying to rescue some civilians. Poor guy.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#72  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @MildMolasses
    So far I only made a mitt Romney and Barack Obama. Both were doing great, Obama as an amazing sniper and Romney as a run and gun. Sadly Mitt just wiped along with the rest of the team in a clusterfuck encounter in Vancouver while trying to rescue some civilians. Poor guy.
    Are you saying Mitt Romney is going to die in Canada?
    I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

One of my dudes was a japanese guy named Paul Walker. Customized him to look like the actor so I can imagine him screaming "2 fast, 2 furious" every time he charges into a crowd full of aliens.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#74  Edited By BoG

Forget names: What about nicknames? have any of you had nicknames bestowed upon characters that made you feel uncomfortable? I have a female support unit who they call "Angel." As far as XCOM soldiers go, she's of the more attractive breed, I guess. She doesn't have a weird face, I guess. Sometimes I wonder, perhaps the males in the base gave her this name, and she feels harassed? This isn't the worst I've seen. In my first paythrough, I had a woman called "Fast Lane." What in the world does that mean? And what about the woman they call "Crater"? There is no WAY they like that. The icing on the cake has to be the nickname given to my French sniper of African descent: "Zulu." Seriously, where do we draw the line?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Seppli

I'm only naming Soldier who earn the right to wear a nickname. I'll then proceed to edit said nickname. I started this tradition after I lost the battle for earth for the first time this afternoon, when all my vets got wiped out, and I didn't put enough research in offense to kill anything with my rookies.

On my second playthrough, which is going rather well, outside of having cut my loses in Asia and abandoning the subcontinent alltogether, I've gotten one dude who's earned a name - I call him 'Gunslingers' - a badass assault soldier with lightning reflexes and other good stuff.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By crusader8463

@BoG: Just got my first racist nickname. It was a Black African girl who had their nickname turn out to be Smokey. I would assume that it's because she is always smoking aliens, but I honestly can't recall the last time that she hit something. Might rename her to Missy or Miss MIss-A-Lot.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @crusader8463

@BoG: Just got my first racist nickname. It was a Black African girl who had their nickname turn out to be Smokey. I would assume that it's because she is always smoking aliens, but I honestly can't recall the last time that she hit something. Might rename her to Missy or Miss MIss-A-Lot.

That's nothing. Just got a girl from Nigeria and her nickname ended up being "Skinny". I changed it because that's fucked. So far the only name I've changed was a Swedish girl with a rebellious looking haircut who I chose to name Lisbeth Salander and her nickname became Banshee.
    Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Terramagi

On my Classic Ironman mode, I've taken to naming people after ASoIaF/Game of Thrones characters.

I've also found that I gravitate towards characters who die, so I'm not disappointed when I fail.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Anund

Am I the only one who really likes letting the soldiers keep their original names? I just find it satisfying to let them carve out their own place in the universe with their actions. I feel naming them Dracula McMachoman really takes away from the experience. I only ever changed two names: One because he was a Swedish fella with a Danish sounding name, and the other because I got two people with the same name so it was hard to keep track of them.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Rafaelfc

I'm naming my dudes after actors, Mila Jovovich turned out to be a FANTASTIC sniper, she's totally clutch for my on the field operations.

Mickey Rourke is my flanking heavy, he operates by himself and flanks enemies all the time.

Matt Damon quickly ascended from cannon fodder rookie to extremely dependable heavy.

Unfortunately I had to shoot down Jet Li as a result of a potentially deadly mind control situation, he was a great assault guy.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Grimhild

@Anund said:

Am I the only one who really likes letting the soldiers keep their original names? I just find it satisfying to let them carve out their own place in the universe with their actions. I feel naming them Dracula McMachoman really takes away from the experience.

Nah, I feel the same way. Except for the nicknames, because a lot of them are pretty silly and action movie sounding. It's pretty rare for someone in the service to call someone else "Cobra" or some crap like that with any sincerity. It's usually a play on their given name or some sort of inside joke. I'll usually give them my own nickname after taking them on a few missions. Like one of my snipers that panicked and scored a crit, but then bugged a little and was making the "panicked" noise for the rest of the mission at the start of every turn even though he wasn't. There after, he was known as "Shakes."

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#82  Edited By WalkerTR77

I named a guy Upton Sinclair, but he died on his first mission taking that fabulous name with him.

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By jillsandwich

@Brodehouse said:

@gladspooky
    Ripley, Vasquez, Hicks, Hudson, Weirzbowski, Apone, Gorman, etc.
    WIERZBOWSKI!!!!

No love for Drake and Frost?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.