New, new XCOM

#1 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -
#2 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11737 posts) -

This is easily the best news I have heard in a while. The company that brought us Civilization V is making a X-COM remake? I can't think of a company any more suited to the task.

#3 Edited by BoG (5190 posts) -

I was actually just looking the new game up. Glad to hear they're going the strategy route, I had thought they were going to turn the franchise into a lame FPS or something. The series is only sale for really cheap on Steam right now. Is the original X-Com worth playing, or too dated to find fun in this day and age?

#4 Posted by Commisar123 (1792 posts) -

Sounds good to me, I've never played one before so I might as well start with that.

#5 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

I forgot this was coming out this year. The article I read in Game Informer last year was interesting.

#6 Posted by Lockeyness (187 posts) -

@BoG: Hard to say. It's at least an important part of gaming history and should be worth a buck fifty.

Very excited to see what Firaxis has in store for X-Com. I wonder if the first-person shooter is still coming out.

#7 Posted by gike987 (1754 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

I forgot this was coming out this year. The article I read in Game Informer last year was interesting.

This is another game. This is made by Firaxis (Civilization V) and is a turn-based strategy game, similar to the old games. The other X-COM is an FPS made by 2k Marin (Bioshock 2) and seems to have nothing to do with the old games except that the story is about an alien invasion.

#8 Edited by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

@gike987 said:

@BraveToaster said:

This is another game. This is made by Firaxis (Civilization V) and is a turn-based strategy game, similar to the old games. The other X-COM is an FPS made by 2k Marin (Bioshock 2) and seems to have nothing to do with the old games except that the story is about an alien invasion.

Edit: Nevermind, I just found the answer in Patrick's article.

#9 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

@BoG said:

I was actually just looking the new game up. Glad to hear they're going the strategy route, I had thought they were going to turn the franchise into a lame FPS or something. The series is only sale for really cheap on Steam right now. Is the original X-Com worth playing, or too dated to find fun in this day and age?

2K are still doing that FPS one.

#10 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Love how everyone writing news articles about this are so glad to point out that it has destructable environments like it wasn't a thing in the other games. 
Nothing more fun than blowing a wall away and have 3 alien bastards standing on the other side gunning you down with their pew pew-guns   

Also, if you go to the website for Xcom both games show up and.. what's that.. 2k is in on the other one too?  
So let me guess, we suddenly stopped hating on 2k, right?

#11 Posted by Dredlockz (346 posts) -

After doing some lurking I found out that Firaxis was built from the ashes of Microprose (creators of original X-COM). People like Sid fucking Meier were working in Microprose. So in a way, firaxis is the best studio to be working on this. Im so hyped.

#12 Posted by Dredlockz (346 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

Also, if you go to the website for Xcom both games show up and.. what's that.. 2k is in on the other one too? So let me guess, we suddenly stopped hating on 2k, right?

2k is the publisher, not the developer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.