Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

Quick questions about Intercepters & Snipers

Avatar image for carnifexseverian
    carnifexseverian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By carnifexseverian

Hey all, couple quick questions I could use some help with.

1.) Does it make any sense to have Intercepters on continents where you have no satellites? I've heard that they only matter if they're covering a satellite. Currently I have an Intercepter in every continent but if this is pointless I will transfer them to a more useful spot.

2.) Does Squad Sight effect accuracy as well as line of site? I have one sniper with Squad SIte and he always has a 20 - 30% higher chance to hit than my other Sniper without it. They both have scopes and the higher ground perk. Maybe certain solders have different attributes? Not sure.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2  Edited By LawGamer

1. I believe they only have use if they are protecting a satellite. That said, I usually build an interceptor or two either simultaneously or prior to launching a satellite to a new continent, so I'm ready day 1 if the satellite picks something up.

2. I am unsure of the answer to this question, however, my best guess is that since Snipers are more accurate the greater distance away they are from the target, Squad Sight it increasing your chance to hit by allowing your Sniper to fire from farther away. The easy way to find out would be to click the "more information" (I think its the left stick) option while your solider is aiming. This gives you a breakdown of everything affecting the chance to hit, like equipment and enemy cover.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Wuddel

@carnifexseverian:

1. Interceptors only make sense on continents were you have satellites.

2. I think not. However, since the chance is affected by aim, distance and angle (flank) a sniper in the back might be in a better angle. Also keep in mind the alternative sniper spec allows you to shot and move, but only with a aim penalty (AFAIR).

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#4  Edited By MuttersomeTaxicab

Could also be that snipers with shared sight are also stationary way more than snipers with snap shot. Are you comparing 1:1? Like have a sniper with snap shot fire at the beginning of their turn and then have a sniper with shared sight fire at the beginning of their turn? It's kind of hard to compare that sort of thing unless they're in similar conditions (i.e. both in cover, both with similar-ish vantage points, etc.

carnifexseverian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By carnifexseverian

Hmm I could be moving my sniper without Squad Site first and incurring a penalty without knowing it. I also was unaware that sniper's are more accurate at longer ranges. This would make sense as the Squad Site sniper is more likely shooting at enemies farther away.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Scrawnto

1. They can only attack UFOs once they've been detected, and you can only detect them with satellites. Having multiple interceptors on one continent can be useful, since you can send out another if the first interceptor you send gets shot down.

2. Like the others have said, it's probably because you can't move and shoot, so you are more often shooting without the aim penalty that comes from moving before shooting.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By BisonHero

@carnifexseverian said:

Hmm I could be moving my sniper without Squad Site first and incurring a penalty without knowing it. I also was unaware that sniper's are more accurate at longer ranges. This would make sense as the Squad Site sniper is more likely shooting at enemies farther away.

There's never an accuracy bonus for shooting from far away (at least, I've never encountered one), but there is a significant accuracy penalty if your sniper is like right beside a guy and you're trying to aim with your sniper rifle. However, the penalty seems to only come up if you're like 8 tiles or less away from the enemy. So in your case, the accuracy difference may just be the -20% that is a result of "Snap Shot", the ability that allows snipers to move once, and still make a sniper rifle shot on that turn. I encourage you to click on the "more info" button that gives a breakdown of your base accuracy vs. the enemy's defense rating.

And in case it wasn't already apparent, the converse of the sniper aim penalty is that every other weapon type in the game (unless I'm forgetting one) gets an accuracy bonus the closer you are to point blank, to the point that you get an extra like 30% or 40% if your unit is literally right beside the enemy he is firing at.

carnifexseverian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By carnifexseverian

Good stuff, looks like I'll be relocating some aircrafts and begin using the "more info" feature. Thanks guys.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.