Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

So my first alien base was found....

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Iodine

So did the crystal thing, got the key, And I know if I go I will likely get wrecked because.... XCOM My question is if I do normal missions while this base is there, will countries freak the fuck out? I did one to pass time while my main dudes were getting not dead, but I don't want to press my luck.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Terramagi

The alien base is the end of the first of three acts.

Clearing it just means you get a 2 point global panic reduction. Quite useful if you're coming up on a council meeting and everybody's freaking the fuck out and you have no satellites to launch. You can storm that thing and be totally cool.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BisonHero

@Iodine: Yeah, the tutorial kind of rushes you through the first act that Terramagi refers to. There's no penalty for not doing the base assault, and I would actually recommend you don't do it right away. Spend a month or two doing some research, getting some money, and getting a little bit stronger before you assault the base.

But yeah, if your panic levels are rising, clearing out the base does wonders for that.

frenchdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By frenchdork

No, I actually took that time to build my squad up, gain the best weapons and the best armor possible and get all the satellites and planes needed to keep the countries in the blue... took me about 2 game years before I actually played the rest of the story missions but it was worth it since I had an unstoppable squad.

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By hawkinson76

God damn I love you internet, X-COM fucked me up when I was in high school, and I was all alone in my pain.

I can't answer your question, I won't touch the new x-com with a 10' pole.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HerbieBug

@frenchdork said:

No, I actually took that time to build my squad up, gain the best weapons and the best armor possible and get all the satellites and planes needed to keep the countries in the blue... took me about 2 game years before I actually played the rest of the story missions but it was worth it since I had an unstoppable squad.

Wow. I did the first base assault about a month after I had access to it and was nervous the entire time that a delay would cause some other catastrophe to happen. I did have three African countries in the red at the time though, so probably was good timing anyway. Nigeria and Egypt were pissed off at me for passing over South Africa in its dire time of need to do some piddly mission in the UK just to get some free engineers. After all was said and done, Egypt and Nigeria backed out and South Africa stayed in. :D

... it occurs to me that I have been running my X-COM like a mercenary squad. Help goes to the highest bidder. Ha!

Mars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Mars

I lost Nigeria and South Africa shortly before I assaulted the first alien base. It was a pain in the ass! I recommend taking a couple rookies for fodder.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By Dagbiker

I just finished it not an hour ago. I tired, and lost 3 times before I decided to wait, build up my team and get some research and armaments When I went in I had all of my guys equipped with plasma guns, still using laser pistols. Most in skeleton armor. 6 med kits on 2 supports. A scope on my sniper. I think armor on my heavy, and Grenadines on 2 assaults. I also lost one guy, and the other made it out with one health.

CollegeGuyMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#9  Edited By CollegeGuyMike

I just tried it, after finally getting enough engineers to build the key and got destroyed.

I just quit out and decided I'm going to do some more missions before I go in... Ugh.

This game is so stressful, but I can't really stop playing it.

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ninja_Welshman
    @Terramagi

The alien base is the end of the first of three acts.

Clearing it just means you get a 2 point global panic reduction. Quite useful if you're coming up on a council meeting and everybody's freaking the fuck out and you have no satellites to launch. You can storm that thing and be totally cool.

This is what i did. The only difference was that I didnt know it would reduce world wide panic. Just did it because I had a council report due in a couple of days and the whole of Asia was pissed at me. Was a real nice suprise.
    HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HerbieBug

@SotoSaki said:

I just tried it, after finally getting enough engineers to build the key and got destroyed.

I just quit out and decided I'm going to do some more missions before I go in... Ugh.

This game is so stressful, but I can't really stop playing it.

It is stressful but also very fun at the same time. I like the fact that it is turn based without any time limit on decision making. This game has fantastic tension when you're out in the middle of the map, you know there are aliens around somewhere, inching forward, hope you don't overextend your guys and put them in harm's way, wondering what's out there. It's good stuff. Love it.

If it's the chrysalids giving you trouble, just make sure to move forward slowly and put most of the team into overwatch on each turn. Chrysalids don't do so well against a firing squad, especially if you have elevation on them.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By konig_kei

First time I tried it I lost all my good soldiers right at the end from all crits. Not going again till all my guys are kitted with titan armour.

Laiv162560asse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Laiv162560asse

Back when I tried it, it was going really well for me apart from wasting all my health kits early on. Then after killing my 3rd or 4th Cyberdisc, it exploded beside the power source 2 of my guys were using for cover. Went downhill from there. Chryssalids popped a 3rd guy, then my mind controlled sniper ventilated a 4th and he bled out with no med kits. The showdown was a super tense sneak-n-shoot between the sectoid commander and my Support and Sniper, neither of whom were great in close quarters. Still can't quite remember how I won, think I was tripping balls on adrenaline by then.

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By jillsandwich

@hawkinson76 said:

God damn I love you internet, X-COM fucked me up when I was in high school, and I was all alone in my pain.

I can't answer your question, I won't touch the new x-com with a 10' pole.

Um, alright? Your loss, I'm afraid.

Hammerjelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Hammerjelly

Ok, I'm having the same issue here. I actually don't have the alloy yet to build the key I need. But I can defer going on this Hidden Alien Base mission and it won't completely just disappear or anything though? I was just worried that I would somehow just miss doing it completely if a certain amount of time elapsed.

vaultboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By vaultboy

I just finished the alien base. I took awhile building things up before going in because I only had 2 satellites which also meant I had a huge lack of funds. I'm playing normal and there have been very few close encounters for my squad, but I knew I need to slow down the story and play catch-up and get some satellites in the air first. It did mean that the alien base was filled with mutons and advanced mutons, and while it was tense there wasn't any real concern that someone would die. When it came time for the showdown with the sectoid, I tried to get my assault down there to bring home a live specimen. Unfortunately for him, he panicked my other assault who responded by giving him a face full of laser.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.