Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

So The PC Version Has Ten Extra Achievements...

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Zuldim

So, according to Steam, XCOM: Enemy Unknown has 60 achievements, whilst the Xbox Live version only has 50. None of the extra achievements have descriptions, and according to Steam, no one has completed them yet.

No Caption Provided

Giant Bomb, however, does have descriptions (I have no idea where they came from) listed for each of these, as follows:

"All Aboard: Complete Confounding Light with more than 3 turns left on the timer."

"The Bigger They Are: Complete Gangplank"

"Bait The Hook: Complete Confounding Light"

"New Friend: Complete Friends in Low Places"

"Rising Dragon: Take Your New Ally Into The Final Challenge"

"Disaster Averted: Complete Deluge"

"No Sweat: Complete Deluge Without Activating More Than 2 Valves"

"Saved To Savior: Have your newest ally volunteer for the most difficult duty."

"Great Minds Think Alike: Complete Furies"

"The Chase Is On: Complete Portent"

So, what could these mysterious achievements be, and why are they not available on consoles? Speculation? Conspiracy theories? Something your friend's cousin who works at Nintendo told you? I'd love to hear it.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Ares42

Well, considering how the game ends and Firaxis' track record, it's not exactly unlikely that there's an expansion in the works

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Sounds like some Terror from the Deep action after all.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Dagbiker

Yah, Looks like Terror From the Deep is the first DLC.

Pixeldemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Pixeldemon

Am I the only one that thought the Terror from the Deep setting was disappointing compared to the original content?

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @Pixeldemon

Am I the only one that thought the Terror from the Deep setting was disappointing compared to the original content?

I remember Jake Solomon shooting down the idea of TFTD DLC and saying he really didn't like it.
    Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dagbiker

@Pixeldemon said:

That might have been because it was a poor pallet swap.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By BisonHero

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Pixeldemon

I remember Jake Solomon shooting down the idea of TFTD DLC and saying he really didn't like it.

Yeah, the achievements are open to interpretation, and people are jumping to conclusions. None of the pictures seem related to TFTD. The only ones that even sound ocean-related are:

"The Bigger They Are: Complete Gangplank"

"Disaster Averted: Complete Deluge"

"No Sweat: Complete Deluge Without Activating More Than 2 Valves"

And even then, the presence of valves and mission names "Deluge" and "Gangplank" could really mean anything.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By sins_of_mosin

More content would be really nice.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MikeGosot

To be fair, i liked Terror From The Deep more than the original, but i don't think these achievemnts are related to TFTD.

ElCapitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By ElCapitan

Deluge sounds like it might be an assault on a dam or something like that.

Avatar image for gladiator_games
    Gladiator_Games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Gladiator_Games
    @Ares42 By track record do you mean "leaves game breaking bugs in for years, doesnt patch, and leaves out things that might be consitered crucial"?
    retrovirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By retrovirus

Somebody needs to get Firaxis on the horn about this.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ares42

@Gladiator_Games: More that close to half the products they have released has either been straight up expansions or revisions of their own games.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By fox01313

Will have to look for these when I get the PC version of this sometime in the week. Guessing that these might also be on the PS3 version as the 360 is the only one that limits the achievement count per game.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ShaggE

"Complete Deluge Without Activating More Than 2 Valves"

Valves. Deluge. There will be a deluge of news when Valve announces a certain game.

Ricochet 2 confirmed.

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zuldim

@fox01313 said:

Will have to look for these when I get the PC version of this sometime in the week. Guessing that these might also be on the PS3 version as the 360 is the only one that limits the achievement count per game.

Giant Bomb didn't have any data for trophies when I looked, and I have the PC version, so I can't tell. Confirmation one way or the other would be nice.

So it seems the consensus so far is that they're dummied out achievements for future DLC, which is of course, almost certainly coming (and I can't wait! I'll totally buy it!). Still, I do think it would be kinda neat if there's some seriously well hidden achievements in the current game that no one has found yet. Unlikely, but kinda neat.

A pretty big slip up if they did leave dummied out achievements for DLC in the final product though.

@ShaggE said:

"Complete Deluge Without Activating More Than 2 Valves"

Valves. Deluge. There will be a deluge of news when Valve announces a certain game.

Ricochet 2 confirmed.

Follow the money!

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Ravenlight

@ShaggE said:

Ricochet 2 confirmed.

I will wet myself in joy no matter where I am or who I'm with if this ever happens.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ares42

@fox01313 said:

You can't see them in your own achievement list, but you can see them here

salarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By salarn

From the XComDLC.ini

[XComGame.XComDLCManager]

DisabledDLCPackages=DLC_PackIn

DisabledDLCPackages=DLC_Day060

DisabledDLCPackages=DLC_Day090

Seems pretty clear what the achievements are for

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zuldim

@Salarn said:

From the XComDLC.ini

Huh. Nice catch.

Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Vigilance

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hold the fucking phone! A successful game will have DLC?

*SWOONS*

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dagbiker

It actually dose not look like Terror From the Deep, it looks like the only achievments that look like they would be from TftD are from a single bomb mission, but instead of deactivating nodes you are deactivating steam valves, inside a dam.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By TheHT

60 days for new DLC? I'm ready to buy some more XCOM now.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ares42

@Salarn said:

From the XComDLC.ini

God, with this and Borderlands I'm starting to get a real hatred for this pre-planned DLC stuff. I absolutely love both games, but at the same time both of them also had major flaws. I just can't help but think of the fallback the GB guys always have "did the base game justify it's cost?". In both cases my answer would be "just barely", and then being presented with this post-release squeezing of selling me more of a flawed (but likable) game before even addressing the issues of the main game just feels rotten. There's just something very wrong with how they presume that their game will be great at release and that people will be more interested in more content rather than fixing what issues there are with the main product. In X-Coms case my biggest gripe is already that I felt the game was content light, which just makes it even worse.

salarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By salarn

@Ares42: Sorry, that's just not how games are made anymore. Full price at launch is the cost of being an early adopter, or at least not so great a finding sales. I'm 15 hours into XCom and I paid $35 for it on PC, the second highest price I paid for a game all year. It's been well worth it, but I was a huge fan of the XCom series and was looking forward to it, so my opinion is skewed.

DLC has to be pre-planned, it's the only sure way to make sure the game has DLC in the crucial 30/60/90 day time line. Otherwise DLC would be 6+ months after launch if they waited till then to start working on it, and that just doesn't work out at all for DLC sales.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By TheHT

@Ares42 said:

@Salarn said:

From the XComDLC.ini

God, with this and Borderlands I'm starting to get a real hatred for this pre-planned DLC stuff. I absolutely love both games, but at the same time both of them also had major flaws. I just can't help but think of the fallback the GB guys always have "did the base game justify it's cost?". In both cases my answer would be "just barely", and then being presented with this post-release squeezing of selling me more of a flawed (but likable) game before even addressing the issues of the main game just feels rotten. There's just something very wrong with how they presume that their game will be great at release and that people will be more interested in more content rather than fixing what issues there are with the main product. In X-Coms case my biggest gripe is already that I felt the game was content light, which just makes it even worse.

My understanding is that typically at the end of development, when resources free up and workload is decreased, a team splits off to focus on DLC development. I doubt it's a situation where the devs are either all working on DLC instead of working on bug fixes.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ares42

@Salarn: I realize it's the new standard and that they sell way more DLC this way, but it just seems very arrogant. They are basically saying "we know you will love our game so much that 30 days after release you will want more of it". And while that's certainly true for how I feel about Borderlands 2 or X-Com I would much rather they fixed the issues with the content already in the games that's keeping me from coming back rather than selling me new content. It's just been bugging me all day with the release of the Borderlands DLC tomorrow. I'm finding it really hard to justify paying them for more content when there's already a bunch of stuff I would love to do in the original game that I currently don't find enjoyable.

And on the same notion, if there's a DLC pack coming out for X-Com in 7 weeks I will probably also buy that, but not because I'm "done" with X-Com but rather the fact that what I wasn't satisfied with the content in the original game. It's just balancing on that razor-edge of "should've probably been in the game in the first place", and while I do admit that I will probably end up buying it all it just feels like they're pushing it as far as they possibly can.

salarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By salarn

@Ares42: I understand the frustration, and having someone say, "oh just wait 6 months and the game will be $10 on a steam sale, then you can get your money's worth" isn't really comforting much, ideally the game should be worth the price at launch. There is one mistake in what you're saying, pre-planned DLC is for almost all games, not just 'good' ones, same with pre-order DLC. It's just how the industry has moved in order to justify paying content creators during the window between cert and launch, which are different people then who would be fixing bugs.

@TheHT: Your understanding is right on target.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Dagbiker

@Ares42: Then don't pay them. You don't have to buy it.

When a company puts out a AAA game they will support it, because this is their funding for the next game, and this is how they make more games. This money has to last them 2-3 years.

Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Vigilance

@Ares42 said:

@Salarn said:

From the XComDLC.ini

Dude, DLC has to be carefully planned- both from a programming standpoint of making sure the game is extendable, and from a marketing standpoint.

If you don't think about DLC until the game is done, you get a Mass Effect 1 situation. NOT GOOD.

I am one of those who snatches up DLC to certain games- mostly Bethesda and Fitraxis games because they make already great games fresh and keep me playing them. Which of course, is why companies love DLC.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ares42

@Dagbiker said:

@Ares42: Then don't pay them. You don't have to buy it.

When a company puts out a AAA game they will support it, because this is their funding for the next game, and this is how they make more games. This money has to last them 2-3 years.

But it's not that I don't want more content or that I'm unwilling to pay for it. It just seems shitty of them to sell new content before fixing whatever issues the game had at release. As you say yourself they will support their games, and skipping over the "make the game as good as it should be" part before trying to sell more of the game is not a great way to support their game. I don't have anything against DLC, it's just this already in production "comes out x days after launch" stuff.

Also (and I probably shouldn't dive into this), that is not how 99% of the games produced these days are financed at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.