Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

So uhh.. how does the story progress now?

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Phatmac

I think I'm at the point where I have to take down and battle UFO observers(overseers?) and I did that for the first time but it gave me that same objective a second time. Problem is that I lost two countries and I'm hoping to reach the end of XCOM: Enemy Unknown before I lose any other countries. Can someone tell me when I get a chance to progress the story or is it just taking down UFO's and fighting them the story progression? I'd mostly like to finish this game soon as I keep making mistakes that have already ended my excellent run.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By envane

@Phatmac: capture an ethereal alive ? or you past that ? double check you dont have research/construction prioritys

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Phatmac

@envane said:

@Phatmac: capture an ethereal alive ? or you past that ? double check you dont have research/construction prioritys

I haven't fought one yet.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Phatmac said:

@envane said:

Did you capture a Sectoid alive? 
    Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Phatmac

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Phatmac said:

@envane said:

Don't think so… Man I played this game so well and just let dumb stuff slip up. I haven't fought a Sectoid in ages.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Phatmac

@rebgav said:

@Phatmac: Shoot down an Overseer, capture the Ethereal. You're at the end-game, basically. It should keep serving up UFOs until you get the objective, panic shouldn't be going up much at that point.

Problem is that I didn't see one when I shot down the first UFO.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Phatmac said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Phatmac said:

@envane said:

Don't think so… Man I played this game so well and just let dumb stuff slip up. I haven't fought a Sectoid in ages.

Thats more or less the first mission dude.....you are not far into the game at all then.  

That or your miss understanding my question. 
    Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Terramagi

Build Firestorms with Plasma Cannons on all your continents. When that fucker tries to buzz you next time, blow 'em out of the sky.

After that, it's basically a matter of "get a psi level 3 guy, put him in psi armour, build the room of plot advancement, use the room of plot advancement, final mission"

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Phatmac

I built the relay and it showed me a UFO that was attacking an area. It was called an overseer my objective is titled Final Preparations I attacked it and fought a mech-like enemy. I'll get home and reply back to get the info I need and post it on here. This is all that i remember from last night.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By envane

@Phatmac: shoulda been an ethereal in the ufo's main room , dont worry youll get one , youre not that far then , like terramagi stated.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Phatmac

@envane said:

@Phatmac: shoulda been an ethereal in the ufo's main room , dont worry youll get one , youre not that far then , like terramagi stated.

Is it random? Cause I lost 2 of my colonels and my panic is haywire so I don't think I'll last long.

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By Barrabas

Are you sure the ufo you shot down was one of the new ones you only see after constructing the hyperwave relay? I'm asking because you said you never fought an Ethereal. You absolutely should have fought one at that downed ufo. You then get something new to research (not from the ethereal but from something you find in the ship).

edit: the new type of ufo shows up as a different color on the world map. Purple I think? They aren't the red ones.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Phatmac

@Barrabas said:

Are you sure the ufo you shot down was one of the new ones you only see after constructing the hyperwave relay? I'm asking because you said you never fought an Ethereal. You absolutely should have fought one at that downed ufo. You then get something new to research (not from the ethereal but from something you find in the ship).

edit: the new type of ufo shows up as a different color on the world map. Purple I think? They aren't the red ones.

Alright I guess I fought a different UFO even though it had some mech thing. I'm almost home so I'll see where I'm at.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Phatmac

Alright I'm fighting an ethereal. Thanks for the help guys.

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By clush

Just to clear this up, you don't have to capture an Ethereal. Also you don't have to capture a sectoid. The story objectives are:

- capture any alien

- capture an outsider

- assault the alien base

- shoot down and raid the overseer UFO

- train a high enough level psionic

- final mission

You should be able to beat the game capturing only one single enemy, if it's an outsider. I wouldn't recommend doing this because research credits and free plasma weapons are great, but still.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By hatking

@clush said:

Just to clear this up, you don't have to capture an Ethereal. Also you don't have to capture a sectoid. The story objectives are:

- capture any alien

- capture an outsider

- assault the alien base

- shoot down and raid the overseer UFO

- train a high enough level psionic

- final mission

You should be able to beat the game capturing only one single enemy, if it's an outsider. I wouldn't recommend doing this because research credits and free plasma weapons are great, but still.

Oddly enough, if you catch an Outsider first, you get the scene that alludes to the alien base, but you still have to capture another alien before progressing the story - at which point it gives you the scene that tells you to capture an Outsider, but then just skips that mission. It was really weird how it played out for me, but at least it didn't break the game.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Phatmac

I already beat the game so don't worry about me!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.