Tempted to buy TWO copies....

#1 Posted by Lepruk86 (63 posts) -

Howdy fine folks...

I am really hyped for this game. Honestly love tactics games like Disgaea, FFT, FE etc etc as well as rogue-likes (Shiren The Wanderer DS being my favourite by far).

I am not a fan of the originals so all the "changes" do not affect me, everything I have seen pretty much makes my eyes pop out of the sockets in some whacky animated style.

One of the weirdest things for me though, is that I am honestly tempted to get the 360 version as well as the PC version.

I have the PC version on pre-order, I actually prefer the PC controls to the gamepad personally (even though the PC controls could use some tweaking). However the games does genuinely feel really nice with a pad.

I can also visualise a time where I'd rather be on my bed or my couch (we have two 360's in the house, my partner games too :) ) and just relax with a beer in front of the t.v. Plus I really like 360 achievements (even though I don't have many).

So yeah, would it be totally bat-s*** crazy to buy two copies of this? Maybe, anyone else considering a console version as well as the PC one?

#2 Posted by csl316 (8691 posts) -

My friend buys 2 (sometimes 3) copies of almost every game. It is by all accounts crazy, but meh.... seems to work out for him.

#3 Posted by EndlessObsidian (476 posts) -

How about you buy 2 PC copies and gift me one.

#4 Posted by Zuldim (288 posts) -

The PC version has gamepad support, so unless you're really that opposed to moving your PC/playing it with gamepad on your PC monitor, kinda pointless.

#5 Posted by Spoonman671 (4641 posts) -

Don't buy two copies.  That's dumb.

#6 Edited by Lepruk86 (63 posts) -

@Zuldim: My PC is in a separate room and would require too long of a cable to hook up to the t.v in the bedroom or living room.

So basically to get the KB/M experience. I have to be at my PC desk.

But my Fiancée will often come sit with my on the sofa or in the bed if I am on the Xbox and even *back seat play* (or take over entirely when I am epic failing xD)...

So yeah, the PC would be my *super serious I am playing to win* and the console is generally a more communal thing we do together.

#7 Posted by Halfdeaf (71 posts) -

I would say that buying two copies of a games dips into the realm of crazy but if you got the cheese to splurge, then why not.

#8 Posted by BoG (5191 posts) -

I've actually considered the same thing! I'll wait until the game comes out, but if I'm not pleased by my computer's performance, I'll get it on PS3.

#9 Posted by Dimsey (954 posts) -

I'm in the same boat, but way I figure it is I'll get it on 360 first and pick up the PC version later when it's inevitably stupid cheap in some future Steam sale.

#10 Edited by Lepruk86 (63 posts) -

@Halfdeaf: We ended up with 4 copies of borderlands...

Don't ever ask!...

Alright, one each on 360 so we could play together, then one each on our steam profiles when it was discounted with all the dlc.

We actually usually game on the cheap. It's rare for us to buy new releases these days simply because we are already 6-12 months behind. We both still want to play Batman: AC for example, even with all the discounts it has been on, just not got round to getting it.

EDIT: Woop! Not alone in my madness. Yeah, I really am unsure whether to go with just 360 and cancel PC pre-order, but I got it really cheap (£19.50 instead of £29.99). So it really seems a shame to let go such a good price.

#11 Posted by Jams (2961 posts) -

Hmmm that's a pretty hard dilemma. Maybe buy the 360 version first, and if it's not working out then just buy the PC version. I think that'd be what I would do.

#12 Posted by Bropira (3 posts) -

Im buying two copies as well, PC and PS3. Not really gonna be picking up any other games this year and I would actually feel good about giving Firaxis money. Plus I have been waiting since 1993!!!!111

#13 Posted by Jay_Ray (1101 posts) -

I often buy a 360 or PS3 version then buy a copy on Steam when it becomes super cheap.

#14 Posted by jking47 (1211 posts) -

yeah, I can confirm buying 2 copies at launch is fucking crazy.

#15 Edited by MiniPato (2741 posts) -

@jking47 said:

yeah, I can confirm buying 2 copies at launch is fucking crazy.

No it isn't, don't be dumb. OP, don't listen to this nutjob.

If you do get 2 copies, gift me one bro.

#16 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

I did it for civ5 and I regret it to this day.

#17 Posted by Lepruk86 (63 posts) -

@SmilingPig: Urm... Civ 5 isn't on consoles? Unless I missed something? (I assume you meant a different game?)

@MiniPato: Haha... Sorry dude; much love but I need something to do with my woman on the sofa or bed... X.....X......Xcom seems to be the answer (I know... Horrid pun/joke... I should be slapped in the face with a fish for it!)

#18 Edited by Dredlockz (346 posts) -

Yeah, I'm getting both versions as well.

Play it a bit safe by trying out just one first, and if you confirm your expectations of the game, get the second.

Don't think its all that crazy, people do that for mobile versions all the time, so they can take the games they like on buses and shit. So this is kinda the same concept, take the games you like to the sofa.

#19 Edited by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

It's not totally crazy, do whatever you want. I don't think I have to tell you to consider your money, of course.

#20 Posted by avidwriter (667 posts) -

Just get the PC version via steam and use steams new big picture to play it on the TV with an xbox controller?

#21 Posted by Lepruk86 (63 posts) -

@avidwriter said:

Just get the PC version via steam and use steams new big picture to play it on the TV with an xbox controller?

Unless I am mistaken, this isn't viable due to where my PC tower is.

I can't run a wire from my pc tower to any of my t.v's at the moment. I assume BP mode needs that? Having slept on it I think I will keep the PC version for now. Games tend to become cheapish fairly quickly so if I am still interested in it in 2-3 months I may pick it up again. I just know it will suck a lot of time from me for a week (or 4?) and I'd rather be at least in a semi-sociable state than locked away in our PC room heh...

#22 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Lepruk86 said:

@avidwriter said:

Unless I am mistaken, this isn't viable due to where my PC tower is.

I can't run a wire from my pc tower to any of my t.v's at the moment. I assume BP mode needs that? Having slept on it I think I will keep the PC version for now. Games tend to become cheapish fairly quickly so if I am still interested in it in 2-3 months I may pick it up again. I just know it will suck a lot of time from me for a week (or 4?) and I'd rather be at least in a semi-sociable state than locked away in our PC room heh...

Build a new PC for the sole purpose of hooking up to your TV.

Eventually, it will pay for itself in the money you save from not buying two of every game!*

--

*I'm mostly kidding. Good luck in your crazy, freewheeling two-games lifestyle!

#23 Posted by ShaggE (6456 posts) -

Nah, what's crazy is buying a copy on multiple PC services... <.<... not that, uhhh, I've done that or anything...

#24 Posted by Sanity (1907 posts) -

My tv is close to my pc so i dont have this issue, but i can understand why you would do this with this type of game. Just too bad cloud saves aren't cross platform.

#25 Posted by Genkkaku (735 posts) -

I have 2 copies of Borderlands 2, mainly because GMG got me a sweet deal on the PC version

#26 Posted by HH (610 posts) -

i have double copies of a couple of games, but i don't buy em at launch, if i really like a game i might pick up the pc version later on to see how it looks with better graphics, or how it plays with more comfortable controls / feedback on a console. the game's gotta earn it first tho.

#27 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

Unless you're gifting one copy, don't fucking bother.

#28 Posted by Freki (112 posts) -

I don't see anything wrong if a person wants to play it in multiple rooms where there are various systems.. A downside is of course the save games will differ - something that using 2 PCs with Steamworks could fix ( just play with a controller and TV if need be ) but then again, no harm in playing it twice..

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.