The Overseer Class Ship (Spoilers maybe)

#1 Posted by Nux (2424 posts) -

I finally shot down the Overseer class ship today so I can finally advance the story but I now face a rather big problem, two of my best men are wounded and won't be able to raid the ship. Normaly this isn't a problem but when I went to start the mission the scanner showed that a Sectopod and a Ethereal

#2 Posted by Nux (2424 posts) -

Crappy stupid Moble site. Let me finish. As I was saying. I have to fight these two powerful enemies at the same time and I don't have my best men with me. If I speed up time to get my men ready to fight the Overseer ship is no longer around to raid. My question is should I go in without my best units and see what happens or should I just wait and try to shoot down the Overseer again? Also is there a down side to not shooting it down and letting it get away?

#3 Posted by J12088 (462 posts) -

It wont hurt to just wait and shoot it down again. It depends how confident you are in your backups.

#4 Posted by Baal_Sagoth (1297 posts) -

Letting UFOs slip through reflects poorly on your XCOM evaluation at the end of the month so it's not ideal if you still require money for essential research or the like. I personally found that mission to be one of the harder ones in the game though. So if I had to make an educated guess on the best strategy I'd rather take a hit at the end of the month and wait until the Overseer reappears then go into the mission with low-level characters. If you have suitable second tier guys (like only a level or two lower) I'd consider going in with the B-Team however.

#5 Posted by Karkarov (3284 posts) -

@Baal_Sagoth said:

Letting UFOs slip through reflects poorly on your XCOM evaluation at the end of the month so it's not ideal if you still require money for essential research or the like. I personally found that mission to be one of the harder ones in the game though. So if I had to make an educated guess on the best strategy I'd rather take a hit at the end of the month and wait until the Overseer reappears then go into the mission with low-level characters. If you have suitable second tier guys (like only a level or two lower) I'd consider going in with the B-Team however.

Good advice there. Remember, when your dudes are down you still have their gear so at least you can kit them out with the same stuff your top level dudes had.

#6 Posted by CoverlessTech (749 posts) -

@Baal_Sagoth That is only true if you don't shoot it down. You can safely shoot the UFO down and leave it without deductions to xcom. I shot down around 10 overseers before I actually assaulted one. Shoot them down and wait till you have your team ready. You can even grind on the other missions that come up.

#7 Posted by Nux (2424 posts) -
@Baal_Sagoth

I was thinking of going with my B-Team but I just know that the mission will go much smoother with my Sniper that has Squad sight and double tap and my super healer support. I do have a back up sniper with disabling shot but he is only a Major I believe. The rest of my team is pretty solid but I just don't want my team of all Colonels to die because my sniper and support are out for a while.
#8 Posted by Nux (2424 posts) -
@CoverlessTech That is great to hear. I might end up doing that then. The only problem I have is I only have one Firestorm right now but I can work on getting more.
#9 Posted by Baal_Sagoth (1297 posts) -

@Nux: That makes sense. I just lost my main medic and second tier assault in my current Ironman game while boarding the abduction UFO and hated myself for it since I spread my team too thin because I wanted to level up some backup soldiers. Backfired really bad!

@Karkarov: Yeah exactly. Depending on how one spends the ressources a lot of the power can actually come from the items. Until the soldiers reach level 7 & 8 where the perks get really crazy powerful.

@CoverlessTech: Aha, interesting. I guess I never actually was in that situation since my first run problem was not having the firepower to shoot the thing down initially. And I got slammed for that. So it seems your strategy is the effevtive way to game that situation. I'll try that in another run when it comes up again.

#10 Posted by Nux (2424 posts) -

Thanks for the help guys. I'm probably just going to pass on raiding the Overseer ship and grind for more Firestorms, Satalites, and better gear before I try to assult the Overseer again.

#11 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3997 posts) -

The Sectopods can be bastards if you encounter them in the wrong situation but I have found Ethereals for the first few encounters with them are pretty damn easy. They'll be with a couple guards but in a closed room waiting so you can get the drop and usually take them out before they even get to act if you do it right.

But don't be afraid to grind and all like people said. The problem you encountered is why it pays off to be leveling up a larger number of soldiers.

#12 Posted by solidwolf52 (301 posts) -

Your squad shouldn't be crippled by the loss of a couple of soldiers. There should be replacements ready to go. Take a rookie or two each mission. They get pretty easy to train once you have plasma weapons and some better armor.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.