This game is awesome but I have some questions about its systems.

#1 Posted by GoranP (1115 posts) -
  • I might have missed it in the tutorial or something, but how are specializations assigned? Is it random or based on how you use the soldier?
  • If you lose a country, can you get it back at all?
  • Are maps and enemy units randomly generated (at least to some extent)?

I'm having an illegal amount of fun with XCOM, somebody call the cops.

#2 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Specializations are unfortunately totally random. IIRC, one of the devs said during a stream that there's a slight bias to soldier types you have the fewest of.

You cannot regain countries' support after they leave the XCOM program.

I think that all of the maps are hand-crafted but are selected randomly from a large pool. There are definitely a few big set pieces that are occur in multiple maps. In regards to unit placement, I believe there's some randomization to their starting position. Based on the difficulty level you're playing on, the enemy type and number of enemies in a mob changes, too.

Please remain where you are. A law-enforcement officer has been dispatched to your location.

#3 Posted by Just_an_other_muffin (90 posts) -
  1. Specializations is random.
  2. Once a country is gone you do not get it back.
  3. Not sure. From what I have seen so far my only guess is that there is a pool of maps and missions.
#4 Edited by Barrabas (325 posts) -

I believe they stated there is somewhere around 80 different maps, but like said some set pieces repeat.

#5 Posted by GoranP (1115 posts) -

Thanks for the answers, everybody.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.