Weird game glitches?

#1 Posted by gateht (95 posts) -

Just wondering what game glitches you guys have run into while playing XCOM? Up until last night I'd had some fairly commonplace ones: my squad turning invisible, certain characters not being able to move and game freezes. All have been resolved with a reload of a save game or the restart of the console.

Then I hit a truly weird glitch. So, it's the final mission (I won't reveal much, I promise), in the last room. Suddenly, on an enemy turn, all the remaining aliens suddenly die through no action of my own. As well as this, two of my own guys are killed - again, through no action of the enemy. Then the game cuts to the last cinematic sequence.

Now I don't mind a few minor glitches, but my game has gone and completed itself without me having to fight the last enemies!

So, what kind of glitches have you guys encountered?

#2 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

If you kill the Ethereal Overlord, everybody dies. If any of your units are mind controlled, they ALSO get dragged into psionic hell.

That said, I've had enemies literally appear in the middle of my squad and kill like, 3 people. It's easy to understand why once you realize that, unless you're on a terror mission, the enemies DON'T ACTUALLY MOVE. They just teleport from waypoint to waypoint.

#3 Posted by gateht (95 posts) -

Well that does explains why a couple of my guys died then, as they were both mind-controlled at the time. What is still unexplained is what triggered the death of the Overlord, as it was an alien activity turn and I sure as hell wasn't firing at him!

#4 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

@Funkydupe said:

Yep. This is a general rule in XCOM that anyone under mind-control/psi-buff dies if the link is broken by the initiator getting killed.

Mind control, no. It's only the case in the "every enemy unit dies" script that gets run when the Ethereal gets smoked. If you kill the mind control any other time, it just severs the tie with no ill effect.

#5 Edited by Funkydupe (3318 posts) -

Deleted my post but I wasn't quick enough! Dang you're fast Terra.

EDIT: What I was on about was the Sectoid psi-buff thing. If they're amped up and you kill the initiator of the buff, everyone in the link chain dies.

#6 Posted by Ares42 (2663 posts) -

The biggest glitch I ran into was when I started a mission, threw out a battle scanner and saw a group of thin men, then a few turns later (after going the other way) during an overwatch trigger the camera just fell through the world and I saw the messages telling me 3 thin men died and their weapons exploded.

#7 Posted by gateht (95 posts) -

Chalk up another glitch. While I was just playing I ended my turn and the game became stuck with Alien Activity written at the bottom of the screen. I could pan around the map but couldn't select any of my troops and the enemy wouldn't move or fight.

#8 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

Couple I've encountered a few times each. 360 version:

-Sometimes one or more of my soldiers will have the red alien head on screen when I have control of them, despite there being no aliens anywhere in sight.

-Reverse shooting. Seems to happen most with the laser sniper rifle in my experience. Sniper faces away from the intended target, laser beam comes out of the back of the gun, goes through my sniper's shoulder, and hits the targeted alien. :D

#9 Posted by ThunderSlash (1725 posts) -

@HerbieBug said:

-Sometimes one or more of my soldiers will have the red alien head on screen when I have control of them, despite there being no aliens anywhere in sight.

I've had that happen a couple of times on the PC version, to the same Assault guy no less. I just assumed that he had a paranoid personality. Always seeing aliens even though there aren't any.

#10 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

@ThunderSlash said:

@HerbieBug said:

I've had that happen a couple of times on the PC version, to the same Assault guy no less. I just assumed that he had a paranoid personality. Always seeing aliens even though there aren't any.

This is probably the bug I encountered most frequently (playing on PS3 here).

#11 Posted by BaneFireLord (2935 posts) -

I think (but I'm not 100% sure) that I just encountered a bug that will make it impossible for me to continue without a restart. I shot down the Overseer UFO triggered by the Hyperwave Relay, cleared out the level and then...absolutely nothing happened. Return to base, the objectives list still says "Intercept Overseer UFO." Do another mission, same thing. I'm going to try a reload, but I don't have high hopes.

#12 Posted by Tennmuerti (8100 posts) -

@BaneFireLord: Are you sure it was the actual overseer UFO? it's blue/purple unlike normal red UFOs. And it comes with an Ethereal that you need to kill.

#13 Posted by BaneFireLord (2935 posts) -
@Tennmuerti: It was indeed the purple one. When I went to the crash site, however, there was no Ethereal. I'm assuming some virtual wires got crossed somewhere and it gave me a normal crash sight instead of the real one.
#14 Edited by Karkarov (3102 posts) -

I have run into all sorts of weird ones. Camera always centering like it is one level higher than I actually am when on spaceship missions forcing me to lover elevation by 1 to see my unit or move it. Enemies spawning on top of men in areas they have clear los on and saw nothing at before the "alien activity" phase. Hostages in terror missions not showing on my screen then spawning 3 squares away from me in plain view because an enemy decided to shoot them. Game lag on berserker movement. Game freezing on "attack" cutscenes. In one terror mission one of my dudes got knocked to only one health yet never got attacked and was not near any explosions. One terror mission I saw a chrysalid run up to the roof, one shot one of my men, then somehow "sink" through the roof and wind up on the bottom floor of the building. More than once I missed a 100% shot. My personal favorite though... numerous times I have been shot at by aliens but when the shot at dude tried to return fire I am told "no los" and the alien is so far away they are "out of sight" in the fog of war. Oh and one favorable bug... on a Terror Mission only half the hostages actually spawned, the majority of them literally did not exist on the map. Yes, I cleared the whole map on that one before killing the final alien whom I had mind controlled.

Nothing I listed is game breaking, but it does make me feel great that I didn't bother with an ironman run. Looking back, Terror Missions are buggy as hell.

#15 Posted by oraknabo (1462 posts) -

I have huge problems with SHIVs. I took a hover one on a cargo ship misson and had to leave it in front of the skyranger, hitting overwatch every turn because if I moved it, everything would hang and never jump to the next squad member. I have an older alloy one I can't even select for missions. I says "active" in the list, but when I select it I just get a beep.

I also have a sniper with the move-then-shoot perk and occasionally I get "you can't move and then use this weapon". There are other minor ones, but these were the biggest. I absolutely love this game, but I'm actually surprised Firaxis let something this buggy go gold on schedule.

#16 Posted by John1912 (1884 posts) -

Ive had some lock ups. Camera following a body down about 300 ft into nothingness. oddest one I think was enemies porting over to my squad and dropping down into the fight. Some mutons backed off into a supply ship after they had engaged from one of the side doors. Several rounds later 1 or 2 just showed up one level above in mid air and dropped down.

#17 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1786 posts) -

The two most frustrating for me are the teleporting enemies into the middle of your squad, especially as I play ironman, and the camera always being one level above on certain UFO crash site missions.

#18 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

@ThunderSlash said:

@HerbieBug said:

This is the result of having a 0% shot on an alien, either because of the alien being outside of your range, or your shot being THAT bad.

#19 Edited by handlas (2679 posts) -

I'm only like an hour into the game and I'm stuck in the menu screens where you select soldiers and stuff to go out on missions. I literally can't hit the B button to go back. It just makes a ding noise. So basically if I try to swap out a soldier there is no way for me to go back to the previous screen to start the mission. Wtf is this...

...disappointing. I knew the game was buggy but that's pretty much game breaking. I might start over but I fear getting far into the game and something like that happening again. Unless someone knows a reason for this? I hit every button possible and there is nothing I can do.

#20 Posted by Tennmuerti (8100 posts) -

@handlas: Have you tried simply turning it off and reloading an autosave?

#21 Posted by handlas (2679 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

Yeah. Just does the same thing. Literally can't navigate the menus.

I'm just gonna restart it. My first playthrough, only an hour in. At least I don't lose a lot of progress and I learned how to play the game in the process.

#22 Edited by yoshisaur (2723 posts) -

On PC, I have run into a couple.

• Sometimes the game will freeze randomly during a mission and will require a full client reset.
  • When you have finished a mission and are watching the Skyranger fly back to base, I have found that pressing the right mouse-button to skip (which it won't let you) can sometimes freeze the game.
  • My squad will disappear occasionally or my sniper's will not fire after moving (when they have the perk).
  • This has only happened to me once, but a bomb appeared on a terror missions (no countdown timer) and after 3 turns the guy jumped on the comm and told me to hurry back to the skyranger. Nothing happened after the three turns, but I was on Iron-Man classic, which lead to 2 people dying while trying to evac. Eventually it cost me the mission. /mad.
  • The most common glitch for me is the camera freezing in the wrong place when zooming-ing in on an action-kill. Sometimes I'll just be staring at a bush or a wall.

Also, I want to know why Alien's seem to be able to hit my guys (who are buffed with +AIM) from 2-3 stories below, while the man being fired at only has a 12% accuracy rating. Boggles my mind.

@handlas said:

@Tennmuerti said:

I'm just gonna restart it. My first playthrough, only an hour in. At least I don't lose a lot of progress and I learned how to play the game in the process.

Unless you're some kind of X-Man, I wouldn't sweat "loss of progress." For some reason I can't not play on Iron-man, so I've literally restarted about 12-13 times. Classic's a bitch and I hate the council.

#23 Posted by Grimhild (723 posts) -

My favorite is when my soldiers get rocked so hard that it blows their hair off when they hit the ground.

#24 Posted by Tennmuerti (8100 posts) -

@handlas said:

@Tennmuerti said:

Are you by chance still in the tutorial? because the tutorial straight up locks you to only 1 option to select from time to time, preventing menu navigation.

#25 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

I ran into a bug where the game only shows a certain number of save files. I went to load my last save, and found I was a couple days back. I do save constantly, even when I just saved a second ago.

I fixed it by deleting my older saves from within the game, and then pressing load save again.

#26 Posted by Zaccheus (1793 posts) -

I have had the best luck with this game. Aside from shooting through walls every now and again the only bugs I have seen are a few teleporting enemies and the psi testing bug where you can't fill the third slot.

#27 Posted by handlas (2679 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

@handlas said:

@Tennmuerti said:

Are you by chance still in the tutorial? because the tutorial straight up locks you to only 1 option to select from time to time, preventing menu navigation.

I don't think so. I'm on the 3rd mission I believe. I just shot down my first UFO and I was trying to put together a team to go search it but it's not allowing me to select soldiers since I can't click through the menus.

#28 Posted by BisonHero (6523 posts) -
@Zaccheus

I have had the best luck with this game. Aside from shooting through walls every now and again the only bugs I have seen are a few teleporting enemies and the psi testing bug where you can't fill the third slot.

Are you playing on Normal? I've heard it suggested that the enemies teleporting onto your position gets worse the more enemies are on the map, and Classic and Impossible difficulties have more enemies per map than Normal.
#29 Posted by Zaccheus (1793 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

@Zaccheus

Are you playing on Normal? I've heard it suggested that the enemies teleporting onto your position gets worse the more enemies are on the map, and Classic and Impossible difficulties have more enemies per map than Normal.

That makes sense. I hope they fix the game before I'm going to try Classic.

#30 Edited by Vitor (2821 posts) -

I've had enemies spawning in the middle of my squad - not moving or flying in, just spawning and thus not enacting the overwatch I always have enabled from my team.

I've had men refused to shoot despite clearly having line of sight.

I've had the game lock up every action apart from move, thereby not allowing me to shoot or go on overwatch, necessitating a restart.

I've had my men trigger enemies through walls, despite there being no windows.

I've also had enemies clip through walls in order to get in an attack, despite the fact that they don't have line of sight and are in a building.

And the camera is FUCKED. Every since the last update, it constantly shows me enemy noise, even multiple times during my go and it'll focus on one unit for a ridiculous amount of time before moving onto the next.

TLDR: I'm so glad I never tried Ironman.

#31 Posted by xMrSunshine (360 posts) -
What you're seeing here is 2 Heavy Floaters and a Sectopod that teleported (literally) into that position at the start of their turn. It triggered the discovered video and everything. Thankfully I managed to get out of that situation without a single point of damage taken. After dealing with those fools and moving a dozen squares forward I found the Drones that were probably with the Sectopod before it wanted to go out and see the world.
#32 Edited by handlas (2679 posts) -

Wow... happened to me again. Started the game over and everything.

I can't navigate the menus in your base. I got to the same part again and I cannot do anything with my soliders but I can launch the mission so I just did that. I beat the mission and it goes back to the base and forces you to promote your soldiers. So I did that and now I can't get out of the soldier screen. Usually there is a B button in the left corner with "BACK"..right? It's gone and none of my buttons do anything.

This game is simply busted and unplayable for me. I'm the first to have this happen? I literally cannot play the game. I'm on 360 trying to do Ironman on Classic. Maybe I should try a different difficulty with no Ironamn tho I don't see how that is going to fix the problem. I have no problems when I'm actually playing the game it's when I get to the first mission to investigate the UFO you shoot down the game stops allowing me to navigate the menus.

Guess I should go the official forums. I've never had a game be completely unplayable like this.

Please someone point out that I'm an idiot and I just need to do "this" and it will fix my problems. That would be awesome.

#33 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

Currently in a mission where mutons are literally teleporting halfway across the map. Like, I'll see them take cover, and then disappear completely. I'll round the corner and they're NOT THERE.

Floaters are clipping through the floor and reappearing where Mutons USED to be.

I'm trapped on an Abductor with a shitty camera angle, and I must shoot.

#34 Edited by seannao (226 posts) -

I've encountered all of the bugs mentioned so far, but has anyone else...

and I get this bug so frequently that I try to build up to 3 SHIVs at a time to improve my odds against it! Whenever I build a SHIV of any type, there is

1: a chance the SHIV cannot be used and must be dismantled from the barracks and rebuilt. It is completely invisible viewed in the barracks.

2: a chance the SHIV can be used but comes un-equipped with weaponry, meaning it can only be moved during a mission and only behaves as cover or a spotter. This is also visible in the barracks. It has no gun on it. It just has a little arm sticking out of it. and the arm animates. with no gun on it.

All of this is visible from the barracks screen after building the device but I can't imagine trying to deal with that bs on Impossible difficulty.

#35 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

Is anyone else having the glitch where aliens will die but will still be standing up? They can't do anything, and are technically dead but their model doesn't show it. I'm on the PC version.

#36 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba said:

Is anyone else having the glitch where aliens will die but will still be standing up? They can't do anything, and are technically dead but their model doesn't show it. I'm on the PC version.

Reference pose is the best pose.

It's worse when you stun enemies and their corpse clips through the ground and vanishes in the void.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.