Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

What did Vinny do that made him restart?

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 37

#1  Edited By wumbo3000

I just started playing XCOM, and am having an awesome time with it. But I distinctly remember Vinny talking on the bombcast about how he was forced to restart the game. I really don't want to have restart anything, so I was just wondering what I needed to do to avoid that. And please, if possible, no spoilers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By YoThatLimp

@wumbo3000 said:

I just started playing XCOM, and am having an awesome time with it. But I distinctly remember Vinny talking on the bombcast about how he was forced to restart the game. I really don't want to have restart anything, so I was just wondering what I needed to do to avoid that. And please, if possible, no spoilers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You are going to have to restart at some point most likely. This is a game you can't really play through on a single play through (unless you are lucky or are playing on easy).

I've found this pretty handy:

http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Research_(EU2012)#Projects)

Don't worry about having to start over, you will know more about how to play for your next game.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By PillClinton

I'm kinda in the same boat. Probably gonna restart at some point, but I don't really have to yet, so I may not. I think the biggest mistake I made was to not launch enough satellites early game. I'm just starting to realize how important those are. And having fighter aircraft spread across all the continents.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HaltIamReptar

@YoThatLimp said:

@wumbo3000 said:

You are going to have to restart at some point most likely. This is a game you can't really play through on a single play through (unless you are lucky or are playing on easy).

You have had a fucked experience if you had to restart on normal.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By coakroach

I never had to restart, but then again I had no qualms about reloading saves when someone valuable got wasted.

I'd suggest you do as many missions as possible to avoid running low on resources/funds and make sure you keep up with your satellites to avoid losing too many countries.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By musclerider
    @HaltIamReptar

@YoThatLimp said:

@wumbo3000 said:

Yeah. Normal is not all that difficult if you're patient.

I beat the game on normal on my first try without ever losing a country.
    YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By YI_Orange

@musclerider said:

@HaltIamReptar

@YoThatLimp said:

@wumbo3000 said:

Yeah. Normal is not all that difficult if you're patient. I beat the game on normal on my first try without ever losing a country.

Yeah, I'm on course to do the same. I'm heading into the last mission(or set of missions) now. I only lost 1 soldier I deemed important. 3 others I was reckless with and basically used as scouts.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By chilibean_3

@musclerider said:

@HaltIamReptar

@YoThatLimp said:

@wumbo3000 said:

Yeah. Normal is not all that difficult if you're patient. I beat the game on normal on my first try without ever losing a country.

Pretty much. Always be patient and always be building satellites. I didn't realize the importance of satellites until I had already all but lost a country. Keep up with your tech and take your time on missions and you'll get through.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @musclerider
    @HaltIamReptar

@YoThatLimp said:

@wumbo3000 said:

Yeah. Normal is not all that difficult if you're patient.

I beat the game on normal on my first try without ever losing a country.
    Same here, I did lose a lot do soldiers, but I never lost a country. Here is a tip - Sell stuff! Even if they can be used for research, late game you probably won't need stuff like sectoid and thin man corpses. Leave a couple just in case, but if you need late game armour and weapons, and you just need money and not ellerium or other resources, sell the low level corpses and you should be good to go.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By MikkaQ

I kinda ignored the whole satellite issue until it was far too late and countries were pulling out like... some kind of sexual simile.

So don't ignore satellites, get those bitches up. Because I focused on satellites early on, money stopped being a problem really quickly and I could focus on research and gearing up my squad with the best shit as soon as it was available.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By wchigo

Yeah, eventually you get enough satellites and at that point, money is no longer an issue: your bottleneck for equipment and research will be materials instead.

I never had to restart on Normal and only lost one semi-important dude on my squad when the game stopped keeping three auto-saves for me and I ran into my first Sectopod. Aside from that, the beginning was kind of a good challenge but at the end it just became too easy. From what others have said, Classic sounds more like two steps up over Normal instead of one in terms of stats and the RNG, so I'm a bit loathe to start it...

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Terramagi

He presumably didn't do anything outside of the newbie mistake of not building shittons of satellites in the early game to the detriment of EVERYTHING ELSE.

Ballistics can take you to month 3. By that point, you should have so much goddamn spacemoolah that suddenly you go from starting equipment to "badass motherfuckers" in about as long as it takes to buy and equip the stuff.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @YoThatLimp said:

@wumbo3000 said:

I've found this pretty handy:

http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Research_(EU2012)#Projects)

Don't worry about having to start over, you will know more about how to play for your next game.

I played though on normal and got though without restarting. Most likely because I made a plan and took it slowl 
    YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By YoThatLimp

@HaltIamReptar said:

@YoThatLimp said:

@wumbo3000 said:

I really don't think I am the only person who started over on normal. The actual combat was fine for me and never lost too many guys, but the base building section kind of threw me for a loop. I kept trying to do too many things at once and tapping myself out. I finally just started over and went for Laser weapons/Carapace armor out of the gate and the game was significantly easier after that. Before I was just trying to research everything (starting with the quickest completed items first) and it really fucked me up. It doesn't help that you can't really see what the research gives you and they are all named kind of ambiguous things.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By golguin

@chilibean_3 said:

@musclerider said:

@HaltIamReptar

@YoThatLimp said:

@wumbo3000 said:

Pretty much. Always be patient and always be building satellites. I didn't realize the importance of satellites until I had already all but lost a country. Keep up with your tech and take your time on missions and you'll get through.

I played on normal and not a single crew member died aside from the tutorial since I didn't have control. I also didn't lose a country. The key is to put ALL of your money into satellites and to build the 2x2 satellite nexus combo to get the 16 spots as fast as possible. Base building is rather simple when you you have one side devoted to non bonus structures, power, and satellites and the other side pure workshops. I was dealt a map with all the steam on the final layer so I had to build a few emergency power setups just to have the power to build anything else before I can build on the steam. My crew suffered without upgraded guns and equipment for the majority of the game, but once I hit the first month over 1000 I finally had the money to buy upgrades. After that I had more money than I knew what to do with.

The key is purely to pump money into things that make money and save money (satellites and workshops) and to give up on things that cost money (foundry, lab, psy, equipment, etc.) because your crew can always pick up the slack by bringing in more materials and winning without costly upgrades.

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By J12088

I had to restart just the once. Basically once you realize just how important satellites are you're rosey. That's the only reason you should have to restart on normal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.