Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

What the hell is up with the save glitch?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I was playing Xcom and randomly my saves weren't showing up anymore, but I scroll down the list and they are suddenly out of order and all kinds of messed up. This really bugs me for obvious reasons and googling it didn't really help that much. Does everyone run into this problem or is it random, and if you ran into it, how did you fix it?

Thanks.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Tennmuerti

@NekuSakuraba:

This happens when you have a very large amount of saves going. The ingame sorting gets messed up for some reason. Usually around 100-200 saves if memory serves

To fix simply go into the game's save folder and delete the older saves, this will return the game's sorting to normal (the first time it will still show old saves because it's using the reference list for them, but after a new save it will adjust to the saves that are left)

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Terramagi

I thought this topic was about Autosave suddenly going from 3 saves to 1 that only works every 3 turns.

Man, you will be SURPRISED the first time this happens to you on Ironman and the game crashes, only to end up back at the Geoscape.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By OldGuy

@Tennmuerti said:

@NekuSakuraba:

This happens when you have a very large amount of saves going. The ingame sorting gets messed up for some reason. Usually around 100-200 saves if memory serves

100-200 saves?! Good gravy. Unless you need to have saves at every point in a game (say for review/screenshot purposes) how do you keep track of where you want to go back to? Long comprehensive side notes (save 158: selected field medic rather than smoke and mirrors on Van Johnson -- save 172: start of turn 6 in small scout battle, Chris Garrin down 3 health - 1 turn left till run and gun active, Sasha Millier down but stable, 3 sectoids in sight)? Sheesh.

I think the most saves I have for any game is 40 and that's scattered across 4 playthrus.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Terramagi

@OldGuy said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@NekuSakuraba:

100-200 saves?! Good gravy. Unless you need to have saves at every point in a game (say for review/screenshot purposes) how do you keep track of where you want to go back to? Long comprehensive side notes (save 158: selected field medic rather than smoke and mirrors on Van Johnson -- save 172: start of turn 6 in small scout battle, Chris Garrin down 3 health - 1 turn left till run and gun active, Sasha Millier down but stable, 3 sectoids in sight)? Sheesh.

I think the most saves I have for any game is 40 and that's scattered across 4 playthrus.

I can't see screenshots being difficult. And I say this as somebody who did a "log" of my Impossible Ironman run.

Just spam F12 at every oppurtunity, pick out the screenshots you want, and clear it out your 10 megabytes of screenshots after every mission.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Tennmuerti

@OldGuy:

People just have different save habits. I habitually save often in every game, specially since a lot of games on PC have quicksave. I often have 100+ saves for a lot of the games. On the upside this allows recovery from most bugs/issues and reduces the backtracking i have to do if required. There is no need to keep track of saves, they're just there and you usually use just the top few for most games.

When other people whine or cry about bugs in games, I am worry free.

My first play through of Xcom was on non iron man classic, digging into the mechanics and nitty gritty of the game, lots of experimentation and a huge amount of saves is just habit.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@Tennmuerti: Okay, this is going to sound weird but here we go -

I'm using a controller and I could of sworn that when you went through options (such as overwatch, fire, grenade etc) there was a little beeping noise, similar to that you hear in the options and all of a sudden it's gone away. I'm pretty sure there was one, wasn't there? where did it go?

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ares42

@OldGuy said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@NekuSakuraba:

Most games make it more of a hassle to overwrite a save rather than making a new one and usually there isn't any reason not make a new save. You don't really keep track of your old saves (if anything you load one of your last 2 or 3) all the rest are just left-over trash from a lazy habit =)

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Tennmuerti

@NekuSakuraba: Hmm, dunnoe have't played in a while so don't recall if there was a beep or not. Probably was. Not sure why would it be gone either, unless its simple sound options thing, sorry.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.