When Do You Lose?

#1 Posted by ohnobruno (85 posts) -

So it's over for planet Earth. Countries are pulling out left and right and every trooper worth a damn is dead and buried. I send out under-experienced and under-equipped squads of rookies in a desperate search for resources but they always, ALWAYS, run into more than they can handle. It doesn't help that their commander's sole experience with XCOM is opening up a version he bought on Steam years ago and not having any idea what was going on. Oh, and I totally watched both Quicklooks. So, like I said, it's over.

Not a big deal, I'm having a lot of fun despite my own stupidity but the question is, when do I lose? I'm curious to see the fail state of the game but I wonder how long I have to wait. Is it when every country pulls out? That might take another couple hours of watching everyone die. Is it even possible to recover from this position? I'm mean, I am seriously not doing well, the last four or five mission have ended in the complete destruction of my squad. I probably should just start over now but I really want to see this to the bitter end.

#2 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1180 posts) -

8 or more countries pull out of XCOM.

#3 Posted by ohnobruno (85 posts) -

@Icicle7x3: Ah, then I am very, very close. Thanks.

#4 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@ohnobruno said:

@Icicle7x3: Ah, then I am very, very close. Thanks.

Just for curiosity, how many countries have pulled out in your game?
#5 Posted by BisonHero (6523 posts) -

@ohnobruno: When you click on the "Situation Room" and see the world map, do you see the bar in the upper left of the map? It has 8 segments, and each red/orange segment indicates a country that has left the project. When you fill up all the segments with orange/red, then the XCOM project no longer has enough countries to be viable, and Earth is DOOMED.

#6 Posted by ohnobruno (85 posts) -

@MikeGosot: At least six, probably seven. I know Europe is completely gone. When the last batch occurred I just saved and quit. I'll watch the world burn tomorrow and then actually learn how to play.

#7 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@ohnobruno said:

@MikeGosot: At least six, probably seven. I know Europe is completely gone. When the last batch occurred I just saved and quit. I'll watch the world burn tomorrow and then actually learn how to play.

I skipped the tutorial, so good part of missions, out of pure panic, went like this:
"Ok, so i'll move this guy and-- OH GOD IT'S AN ALIEN! EVERYBODY ON OVERWATCH WE NEED TO KILL THIS FUCKER!".
#8 Posted by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -

@ohnobruno: If you're interested in trying to salvage this one from the brink of death, check to see how quickly you can get some satellites up in the air. Whoever you launch a sat over will calm down a bit.

Also if the words 'outsider', 'shard' and 'skeleton key' mean anything to you by this stage, then do exactly what your crew is telling you to do with them, like yesterday. That sounds like the only way the world won't give up on you.

Maybe it's all too far gone, but if there's a chance of staying in there and you pull it off, I'm sure you'll feel like the bees knees. Half the fun of XCOM is hanging in there by your fingernails.

#9 Posted by ohnobruno (85 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

@ohnobruno said:

I skipped the tutorial, so good part of missions, out of pure panic, went like this: "Ok, so i'll move this guy and-- OH GOD IT'S AN ALIEN! EVERYBODY ON OVERWATCH WE NEED TO KILL THIS FUCKER!".

Those were basically my tactics - and they worked great - until I decided to march my squad up this alley with two building on either side and watched them all die in the bottleneck I created and refused to pull out of.

#10 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@ohnobruno said:

@MikeGosot said:

@ohnobruno said:

I skipped the tutorial, so good part of missions, out of pure panic, went like this: "Ok, so i'll move this guy and-- OH GOD IT'S AN ALIEN! EVERYBODY ON OVERWATCH WE NEED TO KILL THIS FUCKER!".

Those were basically my tactics - and they worked great - until I decided to march my squad up this alley with two building on either side and watched them all die in the bottleneck I created and refused to pull out of.

And so, they died screaming: "Oh no Bruno!".
Sorry.
#11 Posted by Shakezula84 (443 posts) -

The end game will never be as awesome as the original games PS1 game over cutscene. Look it up.

The PC version gave a more detailed, comic book themed, out line of the end of humanity (mutant apocalypse wasteland) but the PS1 cutscene just was more impactful (at the time).

#12 Posted by Undeadpool (4937 posts) -

@Shakezula84 said:

The end game will never be as awesome as the original games PS1 game over cutscene. Look it up.

The PC version gave a more detailed, comic book themed, out line of the end of humanity (mutant apocalypse wasteland) but the PS1 cutscene just was more impactful (at the time).

That alien's a real JERK!

#13 Posted by ohnobruno (85 posts) -

@Laivasse: Gonna give it a shot but I think it's too far gone since I think I think I am literally moments away from losing my eighth country. One of my mistakes was holding off on satellites.

@Shakezula84: Yeah, those are kinda rough. I like how the aliens felt the need to kick in the door when they could have just strolled in. Jerks.

@MikeGosot: No problem, I kinda walked into that one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.