Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

Why can I never get a soldier from ___ country?

• 60 results
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By crusader8463

I was wondering what other peoples experiences have been on trying to spawn soldiers from certain countries and if you have had problems getting people from certain countries to spawn for you. For example, I'm trying to get as many Canadians as I can in my games but last night I literally had to buy all 99 slots of units, dismiss 70 of them and higher 70 more before I got one single Canadian solider. Yet I had literally 5-6 of every other countries flag in my list. Looking back now, in the 5-6 games I have played thus far I think I have only had a Canadian solider in 1 or 2 games and that was a single guy. Yet just about every other country I have seen in the game I easily get 5-6 of each. A couple people I have talked to have had the exact same experience with getting Canadians in their games specifically, as they are trying to make me in their games but they never do because they can't get a Canadian soldier to spawn for them.

Maybe it's just that I'm looking for one specific thing that I'm noticing this, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue with getting soldiers from certain countries to spawn as well. Canadians or otherwise.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Kerned

I have no advice for you, but on my first playthrough (just finished yesterday) I only had two female soldiers spawn in the entire game. I thought that seemed mighty strange.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Nux

I had a Canadian solider once and felt really lucky to have him. He is dead now and no matter how hard try I can't seem to recruit any others. I feel your pain.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Because the X-Com initiative was created by racists.

Gilbert64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Gilbert64

I always laugh at how insanely jingoistic Canadians are.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @Gilbert64

The fuck are you talking about? How is Canada jingoistic? They have among the least aggressive foreign policy on the planet. And of course the Canadian OP wanted Canadian soldiers. I'm American and I wanted some more American soldiers. It's not jingoism, it's a power fantasy for your chosen country, in this case. Also I don't think you know what jingoism means. Jingoism is not synonymous with patriotism or nationalism.
    Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jams

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Gilbert64

The fuck are you talking about? How is Canada jingoistic? They have among the least aggressive foreign policy on the planet. And of course the Canadian OP wanted Canadian soldiers. I'm American and I wanted some more American soldiers. It's not jingoism, it's a power fantasy for your chosen country, in this case. Also I don't think you know what jingoism means. Jingoism is not synonymous with patriotism or nationalism.

What I'm wondering is why everyone's giving a shit about the soldiers names and places of origins. Especially when they don't live for too long.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By crusader8463

@Jams said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Gilbert64

What I'm wondering is why everyone's giving a shit about the soldiers names and places of origins. Especially when they don't live for too long.

Some die from time to time but for the most part I have the same soldiers I start the game with at the end. I don't use my soldiers as meat shields. As for your question, it's easier to grow attached to your characters when you name them after people that you know and for me, and others, having them be from the wrong country ruins that illusion. If you don't care that's fine, but myself and others do. Honestly I just wish that when they joined your squad you got to customize them then and there and just get to choose their country from the get go.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jams

@crusader8463 said:

@Jams said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Gilbert64

Some die from time to time but for the most part I have the same soldiers I start the game with at the end. I don't use my soldiers as meat shields. As for your question, it's easier to grow attached to your characters when you name them after people that you know and for me, and others, having them be from the wrong country ruins that illusion. If you don't care that's fine, but myself and others do. Honestly I just wish that when they joined your squad you got to customize them then and there and just get to choose their country from the get go.

I think it's cool that people can get invested like that. For me though, I can't name just anybody after someone I know and get invested. They'd at least have to look like them. I don't even think it worked for me when I tried it in The Sims.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Chop

I seem to get nothing cept' Mexican and Italian dudes. Out of some 20 slots, at least 10 of them are from those two countries...

I don't think I've ever gotten a Canadian, actually.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Personally, I have gotten a pretty broad mix in my game, including several Canadians (amusingly, every Canadian I have had has been a support, and none of reached higher than Captain before getting capped)

Anyway, I like having a multicultural team with their original names and their random nicknames. The only thing I change is their physical appearance occasionally (as I seem to get a disproportionate number of blonde mohawk white guys) and their armour colour and style.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By kerse

I had all black dudes from African nations as my first set of guys the game gave me for ironman classic, not a big deal but it seemed strange.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By Dagbiker

Perhaps I am different but i always enjoyed games, and media in general where people come together to accomplish things. I don't see it as American and the rest of the world, I see it as Human vs Alien, we put our differences aside, perhaps just this once, to defend earth.

PS: I had the same problem with woman, 11 hours in and only 5 and who knows how many men. There are also 40+ country's your dudes can be from.

JellyFish_Gsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By JellyFish_Gsus

The only Canadian I have is called Trish "Missionary" Stratus. I didn't give her the nickname.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheHumanDove

@Gilbert64 said:

Yup. That's us, eh.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Hunter5024

One of my favorite units was a canadian lady who was a sniper, and she was turned into a zombie. I havent got another Canadian since then and I've been through about 40 soldiers.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MikkaQ

I got one today, when I started my second game. I was glad because I needed a Canadian to be Bret Hart in my classic wrestler themed squad.

Bunny_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bunny_Fire

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Gilbert64

I'm afraid you are wrong there straight from Wikipedia FYI

Jingoism is extreme Patriotism in the form of aggressive foreign policy. In practice, it is a country's advocation of the use of threats or actual force against other countries in order to safeguard what it perceives as its national interests. Colloquially, it refers to excessive bias in judging one's own country as superior to others—an extreme type of nationalism.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MikeGosot

I just want some people from Brazil, but i never got a single ONE of them, to the point i don't even think they exist.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Grillbar

well at least you got Canadians my country aint even represented, the closes thing i can find is a swede, also having trouble finding snipers only have 2, but a ton of support and assault guys. still i just want 1 more fore my group

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By BoG

I had plenty of Canadians, but I was similarly frustrated with the system. I just want ONE Spaniard. Is that so much to ask? I've played 30 hours, and I have yet to see a single Spaniard.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By ShadowConqueror

But all you need are Americans.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hatking

Jesus, I paid precisely no attention to the country of origin for the characters. Even the ones based on real people. I thought it was kind of funny that my roommate was from Argentina, our friend was from Canada, and I was from the United Kingdom, even though we're all actually a bunch of boring Americans.

andrew2696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By andrew2696

The nationalities helped me pick names like Natasha Romanoff my resident female Russian. And all Americans are named after Giantbomb crew. Vinny "Vindog" Caravella (sniper) and Ryan "Taswell" Davis (assault) are great and my two psi soldiers. Drew is in the barracks in case I ever need a new sniper.

In my first game I got a couple of Canadians. Not so much anymore.

Avatar image for farbelowaverage
    Farbelowaverage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Farbelowaverage

I'm still blown away by the fact that there are only half as many options for customizing the non-caucasian races, which I may not have noticed if my starting team in my last game wasn't 5 Nigerian duders, 3 of whom were identical.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah why the hell isn't there any Danish dudes? I guess Sweden is there, but then I would rather not have any at all.

Most of my units seems to be either from the US or Japan...

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By shirogane

@andrew2696: Vinny should be Italian dude!

I've also found that the soldiers tend to come from the same few countries. Not sure if your choice of base affects it, but last time i noticed my starting squad was all from Asia, including one South Korean. Didn't know you could get Koreans.

The soldiers you get as rewards are always from the country you did the mission for, so that might be one way to get specific soldiers.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By TobbRobb

@Village_Guy: Sweden represents all of Scandinavia. Dirty danish peasants!

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By zaccheus

I only got 2 female soldier out of 30 or something, which I found pretty strange. On my second playthrough I started with 3 though, so I guess it was just bad luck.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TobbRobb: How dare you filthy Swedish devils! Denmark are the true rulers of Scandinavia!

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TobbRobb

@Village_Guy: I think X-com knows a little more about this then you do. Obviously.

Kind of related though, I got a guy with a danish name but Swedish flag. Maybe they don't even know there are more countries here? XD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TobbRobb: Maybe, it wouldn't be the first time I've heard someone from the US thinking that either Denmark or Sweden is the capital of Scandinavia... ;D

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Terramagi

My Psionic Assault who ended up killing the final boss on my Classic playthrough was Canadian.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By UitDeToekomst

@Village_Guy: I had a Norwegian guy named Jorgen Eriksen in my first play through. Died on his first mission. Poor bastard.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#35  Edited By Mnemoidian

Here's the reason: Random.

The game does seem more likely to generate soldiers from high-population, developed areas (US, Canada, UK, Russia), at least in my game.

My "final team" consisted of 2 from the UK (no gift), One japanese (Gifted), one argentinan (Gifted), one US (Gifted) and one greek (Gifted) soldier. Clearly the UK is not gifted? (Or... more likely, RNG was not in my psi-favor on 2 of my best soldiers :P)

@Village_Guy: I got several danes, several norweigans. Only a single swede.

Of course, all of them testing negative for the gift meant they all had to go.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jayjonesjunior

@JellyFish_Gsus said:

The only Canadian I have is called Trish "Missionary" Stratus. I didn't give her the nickname.

Wierd, i have a Canadian soldier (male/support) and his designated nickname is Missionary too.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Rafaelfc

@MikeGosot said:

I just want some people from Brazil, but i never got a single ONE of them, to the point i don't even think they exist.

there are Brazilians in the game, I got 2 in my squad.

sam1am7000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By sam1am7000

@crusader8463 said:

I was wondering what other peoples experiences have been on trying to spawn soldiers from certain countries and if you have had problems getting people from certain countries to spawn for you. For example, I'm trying to get as many Canadians as I can in my games but last night I literally had to buy all 99 slots of units, dismiss 70 of them and higher 70 more before I got one single Canadian solider. Yet I had literally 5-6 of every other countries flag in my list. Looking back now, in the 5-6 games I have played thus far I think I have only had a Canadian solider in 1 or 2 games and that was a single guy. Yet just about every other country I have seen in the game I easily get 5-6 of each. A couple people I have talked to have had the exact same experience with getting Canadians in their games specifically, as they are trying to make me in their games but they never do because they can't get a Canadian soldier to spawn for them.

Maybe it's just that I'm looking for one specific thing that I'm noticing this, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue with getting soldiers from certain countries to spawn as well. Canadians or otherwise.

Well I've been playing only for a few hours and have a Canadian soldier in my set of (about 8) active soldiers....

This makes me wonder if anyone has seen an Indian soldier?

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By david3cm

I really wish you had an option to choose the soldiers you recruit, or maybe pay more to hire mercs where their info is displayed. Forget new missions or weapons for dlc, I want more armor customization and more options for recruiting.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By prestonhedges

What a waste of time.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AlexW00d

@Village_Guy said:

@TobbRobb: Maybe, it wouldn't be the first time I've heard someone from the US thinking that either Denmark or Sweden is the capital of Scandinavia... ;D

Hey, Copenhagen IS the capital of Scandinavia.

No Caption Provided
    Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By Death_Burnout

I'm confused as to why this is a thread...

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Is it too much to ask for a Ozzy called Alf Stewart?

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Anund

I had a norwegian girl in one of my playthroughs. She was a heavy and sooo horrible, she missed every shot for the first three quarters of the game. She was lucky though, I started disliking her and actively put her in harms way, but she made it to colonel and started kicking ass. I've only ever seen one Swede, though I am swimming in Canadians. Seems there's always at least one or two in the barracks. Russians and Americans seem most common though.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TobbRobb

@AlexW00d: LIES. We would never accept a danish king!

@Bourbon_Warrior: Did you mean Aussie?

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@TobbRobb: No I mean Ozzy.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TobbRobb

@Bourbon_Warrior: I don't know who that is, so like. What would an Ozzy be in the meaning intended? I'm guessing Osbourne related.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@TobbRobb: Australian as in OZZY OZZY OZZY! OI OI OI!

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By crusader8463

@Death_Burnout said:

I'm confused as to why this is a thread...

You should try reading the thread. It's not complicated.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By The_Ruiner

I have one American. She's awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.