Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

Why do people want a Terror From the Deep remake?

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Arabes

I don't get it. TFTD was a mechanically slightly better version of X-COM with a slightly more interesting tech progression and a higher difficulty. If they actually remade this game all they would do would be reskin xcom with fucking aquatoids instead of sectoids, up the difficulty a bit and stick it under water. Do people really want that?

Don't get me wrong, I love x-com and and terror from the deep. But the only thing new that I though TFTD did that was genious, was letting you open doors without walking through. that was literally it.

So tell me, what is it that people really love about TFTD that EU didn't have?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Because it was awesome. That is all.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

TFTD's wonderful. I really got into it much more than the original. Minus the research glitch, that game was pretty much better in every way. More than anything though, the setting is fantastic (which is ultimately going to be the thing they'd transfer over in a remake).

Basically, yes; I would want a more tense game set in a more interesting setting. Also, it's more than just aquatoids, the rest of the enemies are great; some of them are genuinely terrifying too (xarquids, hallucinoids, tentaculats). You know, I'd really like to see a 3D rendering of a hallucinoid.

Avatar image for burningstickman
    BurningStickMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By BurningStickMan

I don't think they mean, "yes, please make it a shallow reskin of the current x-com," I think they're asking for a well-made x-com in an underwater setting. More of what TFTD *should* have been than what it was. And I can get behind that.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@burningstickman: @beachthunder: Thanks for the response guys. I never realised that people liked the setting for Terror From the Deep. I always thought it was kind of stupid :O but thought the mechainics were better. Now I know, people love the TFTD setting. Maybe if they did a combination of the two I could get behind it. It never made any sense that you wore your underwater armour while fighting terror missions on ships or on land.

Anyway, thanks again :)

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's plenty of alien themed games out there but still very few deep sea monster/tense tactical games. The setting is still fresh and very under used. I still remember the game from my childhood even though I hardly touched myself.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think they mean, "yes, please make it a shallow reskin of the current x-com," I think they're asking for a well-made x-com in an underwater setting. More of what TFTD *should* have been than what it was. And I can get behind that.

Spot on.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By BisonHero

@supamon: Maybe you should've touched yourself more?

maccyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An unusual setting perhaps? Suprisely though I have many classic PC games, I've never actually played the original X-coms...

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: They're fucking great games man :) If you can get past the clunky interface they have a huge amount to offer both in terms of their systems and their atmosphere.The minimalist music and effects and the FOW really make the games tense! Having big squads and enemies that actually move around the map rather than teleport (and then have a free go :( ) menas that splitting up squads to flank your opponents works really well.

There is a mod available for xcom the name of which escapes me but it fixes a lot of the bugs in the game (there were a few fucking serious ones!). It is essential if you want to give the game a go. If you like tactical games, I'd highly recommend them as they have far more depth than the new one (which is a fine game, don't get me wrong, it's just a bit shallow).

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@supamon said:

I still remember the game from my childhood even though I hardly touched myself.

So THAT'S why my childhood memories are so vivid...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.