Man, I am loving XCOM! I played the original for a few missions back in the day, but it was nigh impenetrable without serious FAQ usage and it felt like such a "solved problem" that I wasn't really able to get into it.
Cue the new XCOM with its new mechanics, no Time Units (thank god!), and strategic tone. I've never had so much fun nearly losing every mission before.
Things I love:
- The palpable sense of dread when you send your soldiers forward. I took like five more turns getting into position than I needed to for one mission just out of fear.
- The RNG: Two troops minding a corner with overwatch while another is pressing forward on that corner. TWO MISSES ON OVERWATCH and the alien ices my Squaddie. Farewell, soldier named after my father. You will be missed.
- Research trees: love choosing what to research and learning what benefits I get from that
- Hard decisions: Save India or save America?
Things I could do without:
- The interface was clearly designed for a controller first. The mouse stuff doesn't quite flow right...
- Free aim for all guns would be neat.
- The tutorial clearly killed one of my guys because it wouldn't let me exit the tactical screen
I've had so much fun that I started an LP series too:
If you saw my FTL series then you know that it was rough going at the start, but I've got much better equipment now and I'm doing a much improved job with my filming and my sound. This first episode is a little short, but there will be more in the coming days along with more FTL.