XCOM Getting First Wave of Downloadable Content

• 112 results
Posted by patrickklepek (3086 posts) -
It's awfully satisfying to fully upgrade your squad and totally flatten these dudes late in the game.

XCOM is hardly a short game, but if you’re starved for more content, 2K Games and Firaxis are preparing something just for you.

The Slingshot Content Pack, which doesn’t yet have a release date or price, has a set of three Council missions. Within, players will meet of an “enigmatic Triad operative,” sent an alien ship off course, and somehow battle aliens “in the skies over China.” There’s also a brand-new playable squad character.

Many of you will already be familiar with the other add-on, the Elite Soldier Pack. Once a pre-order bonus, this additional set of customization options (classic X-Com soldier, armor aesthetic upgrades, color swapping) is now available to purchase for $4.99.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3086 posts) -
It's awfully satisfying to fully upgrade your squad and totally flatten these dudes late in the game.

XCOM is hardly a short game, but if you’re starved for more content, 2K Games and Firaxis are preparing something just for you.

The Slingshot Content Pack, which doesn’t yet have a release date or price, has a set of three Council missions. Within, players will meet of an “enigmatic Triad operative,” sent an alien ship off course, and somehow battle aliens “in the skies over China.” There’s also a brand-new playable squad character.

Many of you will already be familiar with the other add-on, the Elite Soldier Pack. Once a pre-order bonus, this additional set of customization options (classic X-Com soldier, armor aesthetic upgrades, color swapping) is now available to purchase for $4.99.

Staff
#2 Edited by Wastrel (46 posts) -

Cool.

I'm glad they decided to pump out mission content so soon after release, but I wonder how it's handled...they don't sound repeatable, but how do they give you one-off missions, especially if you've already beaten the campaign?

#3 Edited by Krakn3Dfx (2480 posts) -

Nice, looking forward to checking this out. Loving me some XCom, despite the stress levels it tends to induce.

#4 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

Slingshot Content pack sounds fine, but $5 for a soldier and armor aesthetics is super lame.

#5 Posted by Zuldim (287 posts) -

Awesome. I hope it features new enemies and items (weapon or armor) though, and not just some story missions, as the story is not really the main draw for the game.

#6 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

On one hand, putting the Blaster Launcher in an accessible location is a good idea.

On the other hand, charging probably 10 bucks for 3 missions is... not.

#7 Posted by ConstantineL (79 posts) -

When the thin men walk the streets, the sane stay underground.

#8 Posted by HappyCheeze (89 posts) -

I can't wait for a price drop or sale to grab this game.

#9 Posted by Morningstar (2055 posts) -

Doesn't really add much to the game I feel. Give me good sized expansion please =)

#10 Posted by onarum (1947 posts) -

yeah 5 bucks for the customization options is just not worth it, there are like 3 different helmets, 2 different armor styles and some damn ugly color schemes...

#11 Posted by SamDrugbringer (1099 posts) -

5 dollars for the Pre-order stuff seems steep. I expected something like 2 dollars.

I can buy full expansions to games for 5 dollars!

#12 Posted by Dezztroy (733 posts) -

Honestly, this is not at all what I want from DLC for this game.

#13 Posted by big_jon (5660 posts) -

Cool, I am getting a little bored with the missions right now.

#14 Posted by MildMolasses (3197 posts) -

As someone who got that soldier stuff with my game (not as a preorder) I assure you, there is nothing of worth in it

#15 Posted by thehideousshrew (205 posts) -

@ConstantineL said:

When the thin men walk the streets, the sane stay underground.

Nice.. very nice.

#16 Posted by DeF (4694 posts) -

@Dezztroy said:

you don't want new missions? what then? new aliens?

#17 Posted by smcn (675 posts) -

Anyone make a comparison to horse armor yet?

#18 Edited by White_Silhouette (468 posts) -

The thing I want most out of this is the colour options. But not worth the $4.99. Maybe pick it up if it's on supersale on steam.

#19 Posted by Phatmac (5686 posts) -

I don't want to play more XCOM. :/ Still cool though.

#20 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

@smcn said:

Well, colour customization ultimately does have a strategic benefit.

It's still REALLY shitty, but being able to tell your soldiers apart from a glance (I personally colour code by class - red for assault, blue for heavy, black for sniper, white for support) is helpful.

#21 Posted by Chumm (205 posts) -

Scoops you're a professional writer, whether you like it or not. Does GB seriously not have a copy editor?

No:

Within, players will meet of an “enigmatic Triad operative,” sent an alien ship off course, and somehow battle aliens “in the skies over China.”

Yes:

Within, players will meet an “enigmatic Triad operative,” send an alien ship off course, and somehow battle aliens “in the skies over China.”

#22 Posted by 2kings (112 posts) -

I would like to know more about this but reading this post is as confusing as things get. What with all the typos and added words and lack of any good sentence structure.

#23 Posted by Death_Burnout (3768 posts) -

Some DLC achievements leaked a little while ago. I'm not sure if all of them are what's in this pack, but the missions all sound like a real bitch. Great!

Also I'll be enjoying my pre-order bonus over here, lalalalalala.

#24 Posted by Vitor (2790 posts) -

@Chumm said:

Scoops you're a professional writer, whether you like it or not. Does GB seriously not have a copy editor?

No:

Within, players will meet of an “enigmatic Triad operative,” sent an alien ship off course, and somehow battle aliens “in the skies over China.”

Yes:

Within, players will meet an “enigmatic Triad operative,” send an alien ship off course, and somehow battle aliens “in the skies over China.”

Seriously, that really caught my eye also.

Kleptok, you are definitely above issues like that.

#25 Posted by Eldredpe (25 posts) -

@Chumm said:

No:

Yes:

I like to imagine that Patrick slips one obvious typo into every news story to screw with us.

Because there is always one obvious typo. In every news story.

#26 Edited by MikkaQ (10227 posts) -

I just want the DLC that lets me play pick-up games against AI. Like a skirmish mode or whatever. Make that. Better yet, make that free because pretty much every strategy game ever does that.

#27 Posted by Nethlem (350 posts) -

@DeF said:

@Dezztroy said:

you don't want new missions? what then? new aliens?

It's 3 new Council missions, these usually happen only like once a month so they will hardly put the vanilla gameplay on it's head. Adding new alien foes and some new research/engineering options should also be part of such an "expansion".

Otherwise they should just label it just a "mappack", it's already bad enough they are selling color swapping player avatars as an DLC option..

#28 Posted by KoolAid (739 posts) -

Hell... I'd be really happy if they added more maps + more aliens.

#29 Posted by mystyphy (1 posts) -

I hope this includes a TU with the fix for the Zombie crash. My Ironman game is stuck on the same turn as a Zombie crash. :(

#30 Posted by Red12b (9044 posts) -

@Eldredpe said:

@Chumm said:

No:

Yes:

I like to imagine that Patrick slips one obvious typo into every news story to screw with us.

I hope he does it to fuck with idiots who take umbrage at this stuff

#31 Posted by HatKing (5571 posts) -

What I really want, and what I'm certain everybody who enjoyed the game wants, is an alien campaign. That, or the ability to setup skirmishes against AI and use an alien team.
Really, I'm just too impatient to get behind this multiplayer in a real way. I mean, a same room setup, like they had going in TNT, sounds like a blast, but I really don't have the ability for that.

#32 Posted by dicnose (39 posts) -

@Red12b said:

@Eldredpe said:

@Chumm said:

No:

Yes:

why the hell is the comma inside quotes? that's really dumb and senseless

#33 Edited by arch4non (428 posts) -

@dicnose: Did you fail 4th grade English?

#34 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3629 posts) -

The Guile hair alone is worth 5. Ok not really but I got the Elite pack with the game when I bought it new. Gonna get the new missions though, more XCOM makes me happy.

#35 Posted by BuddyleeR (40 posts) -

@MildMolasses: Yeah I'd say it's tough to justify $4.99 for the pack. Although I have enjoyed the color swapping for the plates to help me easily identify who is who on the battlefield.

#36 Posted by Demoskinos (13906 posts) -

@murisan said:

Slingshot Content pack sounds fine, but $5 for a soldier and armor aesthetics is super lame.

If you got the console version its packed inside the box on first-run copies.

#37 Posted by chilipeppersman (1087 posts) -

@Phatmac: me neither, burned out on it pretty quick

#39 Posted by Tennmuerti (7726 posts) -

Considering the length and scope of missions in the main game. A $10 dlc for 3 missions seems a tad too pricey.

Unless they are somehow larger in both scope and provide an increased challenging tactical difficulty. Or some interesting twists. Over vanilla missions.

Also whoa! deja-vu, i think i said the exact same thing for some other game before, just don't remember what game it was.

#40 Posted by Pixeldemon (244 posts) -

I want a new campaign, not overpriced tack-on one-off missions. Sigh...

#41 Posted by Kete (50 posts) -

dollary doos for colour customization

#42 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

@dicnose said:

@Red12b said:

@Eldredpe said:

@Chumm said:

No:

Yes:

"You're dumb and senseless," I said.

#43 Posted by chrissedoff (2041 posts) -

This article reads like a bunch of gobbledygook to me.

#44 Posted by thebigJ_A (978 posts) -

Five dollars to change the color of the armor.

Fuck you.

#45 Posted by Anund (849 posts) -

@Chumm said:

No:

Yes:

You seem like a great guy.

#46 Posted by Red12b (9044 posts) -

@Intelligent_Space_Man said:

@dicnose said:

@Red12b said:

@Eldredpe said:

@Chumm said:

No:

Yes:

"American English--British English--they're all the same color in the end."

......colour

#47 Posted by Funkydupe (3293 posts) -

I want to merge french-fries with pancakes.

#48 Posted by crcruz3 (240 posts) -

@Terramagi said:

@smcn said:

It's still REALLY shitty, but being able to tell your soldiers apart from a glance (I personally colour code by class - red for assault, blue for heavy, black for sniper, white for support) is helpful.

Yes.

#49 Posted by bunnymud (703 posts) -

Those bemoaning the 5 spot should have pre-ordered

just sayin

#50 Posted by Vitor (2790 posts) -

@crcruz3 said:

@Terramagi said:

@smcn said:

Yes.

Does no-one else just look at the gun icon when changing units? That's how I tell them apart. Sure, it means you have to cycle through initially before you know but after the first move you should have a rough idea of how you've set them up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.