XCOM Getting First Wave of Downloadable Content

• 117 results
#51 Posted by Palaeomerus (355 posts) -

I was kind of hoping for snakemen, reapers, and maybe some stuff from Terror and Apocalypse.

#52 Posted by BeachThunder (12410 posts) -

Maybe later. I'll definitely put my money down for a Terror From the Deep expansion though...

#54 Posted by Helios1337 (324 posts) -

I didn't realize being able to change the armor colour was a pre-order bonus, what complete bullshit. I use it all the time to easily tell my soldiers apart.

#55 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -
#56 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

@Intelligent_Space_Man said:

@Vitor said:

@crcruz3 said:

@Terramagi said:

@smcn said:

Anyone make a comparison to horse armor yet?

Well, colour customization ultimately does have a strategic benefit.

It's still REALLY shitty, but being able to tell your soldiers apart from a glance (I personally colour code by class - red for assault, blue for heavy, black for sniper, white for support) is helpful.

Yes.

Does no-one else just look at the gun icon when changing units? That's how I tell them apart. Sure, it means you have to cycle through initially before you know but after the first move you should have a rough idea of how you've set them up.

I stopped color-coding after Red Class always fucking dies.

EDIT: 'Colour-coding', sorry.

I heard the red wuns go fasta

Those in red armour live fast and die hard.

#57 Posted by Rongaryen (282 posts) -

DLC is cool and all but, I'd rather they patch the existing game. Sometimes, Alien Activities never end and I have to reset the game, or it never stops loading, or the aliens get 3 turns in a row. It's a fun game but, I can't play it for more than an hour before one of those three things happening and I have to restart a mission.

#58 Posted by Palaeomerus (355 posts) -

The thin men may be re-engineered reptillians but they really don't look, fight, or move like huge burly snake men. So let's just have some real snake men in the mix too.

#59 Posted by buft (3320 posts) -

will the armor customization be available for vinny at 99 cents?

#61 Posted by mewarmo990 (838 posts) -

@Rongaryen said:

DLC is cool and all but, I'd rather they patch the existing game. Sometimes, Alien Activities never end and I have to reset the game, or it never stops loading, or the aliens get 3 turns in a row. It's a fun game but, I can't play it for more than an hour before one of those three things happening and I have to restart a mission.

Are you talking about the freezes that happen during the enemy turn for seemingly no reason? I feel ya :(

#62 Edited by Peanut (955 posts) -

Dat English!

Also, inject XCOM directly into my blood streeeeeeeeeeeeam. I hope this DLC comes with some for realz tweaks and bug fixes, though. Some serious issues need to be worked out.

#63 Edited by Etnos (245 posts) -

sweet, More X-Com is a good thing.

#64 Posted by Boopie (191 posts) -

please release ultimate weapon DLC pack that allows you to destroy game on any difficulty thx

#65 Posted by prestonhedges (1961 posts) -
#66 Posted by Nux (2420 posts) -

Awesome, can't wait for the Slingshot Content Pack it sounds neat. I'm always up for more XCOM.

#67 Posted by Rongaryen (282 posts) -

@mewarmo990 said:

@Rongaryen said:

Are you talking about the freezes that happen during the enemy turn for seemingly no reason? I feel ya :(

I've had it happen on my turn too. At least in that case, I can just reload the last autosave.

#68 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@Wastrel said:

Cool.

I'm glad they decided to pump out mission content so soon after release, but I wonder how it's handled...they don't sound repeatable, but how do they give you one-off missions, especially if you've already beaten the campaign?

Its probably like the other story missions, you build up your base, and team, by doing other missions. Until you can do the DLC missions, which have story in them.

#69 Edited by Zeg (93 posts) -

I know this DLC content was probably actually created months ago, but I'll be really bummed if they don't get a patch out before it.

My first run through on normal-ironman was very nearly destroyed by bugs on several occasions. I managed to overwatch the group of Mutons coming out of the 'hidden passage' bug, completed the alien base mission despite being down a SHIV when it got stuck in a doorway, and suffered the last mission with only 2 alloy SHIVs since the two hover SHIVs I had built were both stuck in invisible, undeployable state.

Also, I'd like a patch first because a three mission chain sounds very not worth it.

(Also, also: Anyone find it weird that when you plug in a 360 controller on the PC, all your troops suddenly start addressing you and telling you they're moving and overwatching? That's surely another bug. Though I think I prefer the silent PC version heh.)

#70 Posted by Aeonfell (39 posts) -

Yeah, there's game-ending, common bugs right now. Please don't try to sell me shit at the moment.

#71 Posted by Saganomics (212 posts) -

@gladspooky said:

@Terramagi said:

@Palaeomerus said:

I was kind of hoping for snakemen, reapers, and maybe some stuff from Terror and Apocalypse.

Snakemen ARE in the game.

Nah.

Venom, scaly patches and segmented, snake-like bones?

Yeah.

#72 Posted by radioactivez0r (866 posts) -

Yeah, I came across a council mission today that ended up being a dozen thin men. I was packing high level armor and mostly plasma weapons. It was a nice break in between crazy god damn muton elite missions.

#73 Posted by Moonshadow101 (575 posts) -

Don't want to judge just on a description, but I'm not really interested. A few missions isn't what I'm looking for here. I want something that expands to scope of the overall game, not a discrete set of missions that can be knocked out and become pointless afterwards.

#74 Posted by Ares42 (2796 posts) -

Glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks it's BS to get served up DLC before fixing the main game.

#75 Posted by Zatoishwan (28 posts) -

@Wastrel said:

Cool.

I'm glad they decided to pump out mission content so soon after release, but I wonder how it's handled...they don't sound repeatable, but how do they give you one-off missions, especially if you've already beaten the campaign?

Its council missions, you know those missions that pop up from nowhere roughly one time a month given by that council man in the shadows.

For some unknown reason I usually get "Terror in Lille, France". Dunno why the aliens go there all the time. They must like the environment and want to rest their space-dog or something.

#76 Posted by NaDannMaGoGo (338 posts) -

@Ares42 said:

Glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks it's BS to get served up DLC before fixing the main game.

Yeah, I mean I understand the DLC was done some time ago already but still, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth when necessary patches come after the first DLCs :/

Also, for someone like me who has some interest of the game but cannot stand playing bugged stuff, not in a game like this, well I just have to wait.

#77 Posted by EthanielRain (927 posts) -

Fuck XCOM. One mistake leads to an "A team" wipe leads to tilt and a perfect dozen-hour ironman playthrough spirals into shit. Fuck fuck fuck.

I'll pay for anything they put out, honestly. Love it :)

#78 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I think it's crazy this game hasn't been getting more flak for the extreme number of bugs.

#79 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

Its DLC and people are mad because they didn't get 10 new weapons, and 20 new maps.

#80 Posted by AtomicEdge (310 posts) -

Interesting to hear about bugs people seem to be having. I only had one bug in my playthrough (other than the constant camera clipping), and that was an outright crash to desktop on the very last encounter of the game! Luckily I only lost one turn though, so it wasn't the end of the world.

#81 Posted by Parsnip (1116 posts) -

I hope they'll patch the game a little before putting out DLC.

#82 Posted by Parsnip (1116 posts) -

Though I'd also really love if they added more nationalities with a free update. You know, like Finland. It pains me that Sweden and Norway are in there, but not us.

#83 Posted by Oddy4000 (94 posts) -

Didn't encounter any game breaking bugs on my 360 playthroughs - I've put maybe 100 hours in so far, no technical problems except when a Sectopod spawn directly on my team at the beginning of my turn. It's never happened when I was in the shit, though, so I've always been happy to get an easy Sectopod kill.

#84 Posted by das9000 (174 posts) -

I don't think this DLC or the Elite Soldier Pack being a downloadable piece of extra content is justified. The elite soldier pack would have been in the works even before the game was finished since it was a pre-order bonus. Why weren't armor aesthetic upgrades, color swapping etc. not included in the vanilla game? There's no reason other than to squeeze out an extra buck out of the consumer. How long until other basic functionality gets taken out of games and then be put out as DLC? You wanna save? That will be $4.99. How long until we start paying full price for demos and then pay a bit more to get the full game? I know this is a bit of an exaggeration but this kind of business strategy is pretty cheap and "sleazebaggy" in my opinion.

#85 Edited by avantegardener (1151 posts) -

Nice, that explains the achievments. I have been playing and X-COM and Sleeping Dogs recently, the only explaination is that I must have willed this into exsistence.

#86 Posted by mordukai (7185 posts) -

Why aren't they talking about when their buggy game gets a much needed update. The game's good but some things need to get fixed.

#87 Posted by Palaeomerus (355 posts) -

@Saganomics said:

@gladspooky said:

@Terramagi said:

@Palaeomerus said:

Nah.

Yeah.

Snake men have a pod/snake-tail instead of feet, are full of eggs when autopsied, are slow moving, usually screen crysalids, resist damage from guns.

The thin men are described as modified reptillians yes, but they don't look or play anything like the snake men did. Snake men were tough slow moving hulks usually with heavier weapons. Thin men are agile and fragile, infiltration guys with light weapons. One thing is simply not like the other.

#88 Posted by CharAznable (795 posts) -

@das9000 said:

I don't think this DLC or the Elite Soldier Pack being a downloadable piece of extra content is justified. The elite soldier pack would have been in the works even before the game was finished since it was a pre-order bonus. Why weren't armor aesthetic upgrades, color swapping etc. not included in the vanilla game? There's no reason other than to squeeze out an extra buck out of the consumer. How long until other basic functionality gets taken out of games and then be put out as DLC? You wanna save? That will be $4.99. How long until we start paying full price for demos and then pay a bit more to get the full game? I know this is a bit of an exaggeration but this kind of business strategy is pretty cheap and "sleazebaggy" in my opinion.

C'mon, man, you're being a little hyperbolic. It was a pre-order bonus, a token of appreciation for people that committed to the game in advance. It's ultimately not a game-changer if you want to make your squad all pink, so feel free to skip it.

It must have been incredibly risky to release a full retail game like this, with a series known for being unforgiving to newcomers and this being an obscure genre. I honestly wouldn't mind buying a few pieces of DLC to show some extra love, so we get more of this type of game in the future. I agree with your stance in general, but I really want to support XCOM.

#89 Posted by FissionMailed10 (42 posts) -

I thought people who bought the first run of games got the elite soldier pack anyway, I didn't pre order and I have it.

#90 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -

@Terramagi: That's a fucking fantastic idea. Color-coded classes. I should have thought of that.

#91 Posted by prestonhedges (1961 posts) -
@Saganomics

@gladspooky said:

@Terramagi said:

@Palaeomerus said:

Nah.

Yeah.

Nope.
#92 Posted by Shingro (226 posts) -

What isn't mentioned here is that it gives you a faster track to certain late game research and whatnot. I'm actually more worried about getting such a powerful weapon that many people don't even know is in the game so early. We'll see!

Frankly the game is good enough that I'll be on board for this DLC regardless.

#93 Posted by Captainlunchbox (445 posts) -

@haggis: Haha, that's how mine are (Assault gets yellow on black, Support is pure red, Heavy is olive green, Sniper is flat tan, Squaddies get yellow and green ) and I was thinking "I bet someone would make fun of me doing this until they played with the build."

#94 Posted by Saganomics (212 posts) -

@Palaeomerus said:

@Saganomics said:

@gladspooky said:

@Terramagi said:

@Palaeomerus said:

Nah.

Yeah.

Snake men have a pod/snake-tail instead of feet, are full of eggs when autopsied, are slow moving, usually screen crysalids, resist damage from guns.

The thin men are described as modified reptillians yes, but they don't look or play anything like the snake men did. Snake men were tough slow moving hulks usually with heavier weapons. Thin men are agile and fragile, infiltration guys with light weapons. One thing is simply not like the other.

I realize they aren't literally snakemen, but it seems pretty clear they're a wink-and-nudge combination of snakemen and the MIBs from weirdo UFO mythology. I could have sworn Jake Solomon even admitted as much in an interview or live stream at some point, although I don't have anything concrete that backs that up so feel free to take it with a truckload of salt.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for a DLC map pack or whatever to reintroduce them in something closer to their original form, but I seriously doubt it's going to happen.

#95 Posted by pyrodactyl (2348 posts) -

@patrickklepek said:

There’s also a brand-new playable squad character.

New class or new pre-trained squad member?

Cause one is very interessting, one is super boring.

If that pack is nothing but new map and objectives in those new maps I think I'll pass.

#96 Posted by Saganomics (212 posts) -

@pyrodactyl said:

@patrickklepek said:

There’s also a brand-new playable squad character.

New class or new pre-trained squad member?

Cause one is very interessting, one is super boring.

If that pack is nothing but new map and objectives in those new maps I think I'll pass.

I was super curious about this, too. A whole new class could be a game-changer, whereas another pre-ranked soldier of an existing class is a pretty goofy thing to advertise in an effort to build hype.

#97 Posted by SecondBreakfaster (4 posts) -

I would really love the soldier pack since I've seen people using it to adjust the colors of their soldiers to help distinguish them more easily on the battlefield. While I'm never in danger of losing track of who is who, it typically takes a closer inspection to see just who is who.

Being so jacked on this game right now makes it almost viable to go ahead and blow $5 for something that is so measly and should be free, or at the very least like a dollar or two!

#98 Posted by JohnTheGoat (49 posts) -

oooooohhhh yeaaaahhhhhh!!!!!

#99 Edited by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

@das9000 said:

This is what I've been thinking for the past couple of years but people are just taking it. I can see paying for armor pieces but for colors? Come on. Online passes are the worst offender of this, especially when they affect the singleplayer experience like Mass Effect 3.

#100 Posted by Gradev (43 posts) -

Sold!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.