Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Apr 29, 2015

Xenoblade Chronicles X from MonolithSoft is an open-world action RPG about humanity escaping the destruction of Earth and fighting off their attackers with transforming mechs on an alien planet. It is the spiritual successor to Xenoblade Chronicles.

How are more people not talking about this game?

Ketchupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

This has got to be the most interesting thing I've seen from E3 that I didn't know existed. I don't even know what it is! Open world Monster Hunter with mechs?? Sure. I think I might buy a Wii U...

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

i've missed pretty much everything at e3 so far. the description and video for this look sweet. i shall keep tabs!

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

A lot of nintendo fans are really hyped for it - and more power to them. There just aren't too many people sold on a Wii-U yet, so it makes sense that barely anyone is talking about ANY of Nintendo's titles.

It certainly didn't help that the main Nintendo E3 stream yesterday was borked to all hell.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By spraynardtatum

Yeah that game looked incredible. They showed gameplay and it looked awesome and expansive and unique. I'm really excited for this game.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

@ketchupp said:

This has got to be the most interesting thing I've seen from E3 that I didn't know existed. I don't even know what it is! Open world Monster Hunter with mechs?? Sure. I think I might buy a Wii U...

It isn't monster hunter-y. It is a JRPG with a real-time battle system.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@ketchupp: I don't know what to say about it. Once I see some of the real gameplay mechanics, I'll be a bit more excited. I'm definitely interested from how it looks, but I'm uncertain about how it will really play. A lot of things -look- cool.

Plus, it's only coming to the Wii U, and for many people, that takes it a bit off their radar. For me, I'm still hoping for a PS4 release despite the near nil chance of that. ha.

Ketchupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evanbower: I know nothing about the game other than what was in the Nintendo Direct video. I was just going off of fighting giant monsters and the look of the game.

Souai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It had an announcement trailer in January which and there wasn't much new information about the game from the E3 Trailer. If anything it seemed to distance itself from showcasing earlier explicit Xenoblade mechanics and the weird low poly shulk splash character. I found the giant decreasing percentage gauge for the town interesting, and I wonder how that will tie into the story of the game assuming it's not just a odd measure of time. The giant robot at the end reminded me much more of Xenogears than Xenoblade.

I'm not sure how monster hunter elements tie into it, but I guess there was some implied coop multiplayer from the first trailer. All combat indications seem to be the real time combat wheel from the first game with cooldowns and a center special action and combat intiation thing from Xenoblade.

The game isn't coming out for another year at least, so I expect there will be more concrete systems and feature advertisements as we get closer to its actual launch.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By supamon

I know it's not but when I saw that X symbol pop up I immediately thought of Xenogears. I wish Square would make another Xenogears... ;_;

Ketchupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@souai: Interesting. The MMO-ness of Xenoblade was what turned me off of that game so I hope they keep it light this time.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By morningstar

Because it's on the WiiU I imagine. Loos amazing though, Im getting it.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

There was a robot suit, and then it walked by a dinosaur, and I was like, fuck, that's cool.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It looks cool except 1) Some of those swords are too big and 2) The main character moves his hips like a girl.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it looks amazing. Loved Xenoblade so this one is a no brainer.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#15  Edited By Hailinel

@ketchupp: I don't know what to say about it. Once I see some of the real gameplay mechanics, I'll be a bit more excited. I'm definitely interested from how it looks, but I'm uncertain about how it will really play. A lot of things -look- cool.

Plus, it's only coming to the Wii U, and for many people, that takes it a bit off their radar. For me, I'm still hoping for a PS4 release despite the near nil chance of that. ha.

Not sure if serious. Nintendo owns Monolith Software.

Souai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fighting in the January trailer showed postional damage and part destruction, so I guess that's where the Monster Hunter angle comes from? This is a reasonable breakdown of the first trailer's information http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M69rPbLb1fg

I'm glad they've decided to turn the focus a little away from looking so strongly as a Xenoblade 2.0 with a dash of Xenogears and put the spotlight on the higher tech and space. I hope that is a reflection of confidence in the ability of their new title to stand on its own merits and not cling to so much of the whole package of Xenoblade.

I'm not going to inject too much speculation into it, though, given how far into the future the release will be.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Red

Looks pretty good, but the Xenoblade style of game is something I'm not entirely sure I would like, and if I desperately wanted to try it out I'd pick up a Wii instead of a WiiU.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@truthtellah said:

Not sure if serious. Nintendo owns Monolith Software.

heh. That's why it's a near nil chance. Because it would be Nintendo putting a game on the PS4. But a man can dream! ;)

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@truthtellah: Unfortunately, that positions you in the same camp with the people that are still pitching fits over the fact that Bayonetta 2 is a Wii U exclusive. :P

Anyway, I enjoyed the hell out of Xenoblade, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how that gameplay transitions into this new title. Xenoblade's environments are vast and gorgeous, and it doesn't look like this will be any different.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@truthtellah: Unfortunately, that positions you in the same camp with the people that are still pitching fits over the fact that Bayonetta 2 is a Wii U exclusive. :P

Anyway, I enjoyed the hell out of Xenoblade, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how that gameplay transitions into this new title. Xenoblade's environments are vast and gorgeous, and it doesn't look like this will be any different.

heh. Well, I'm not complaining about it. I'm just holding out a crazy hope. :)

And I thought Xenoblade was decent as well. I hope X might have more shared with Xenogears, but I suppose that's just a bit of a hope, too. If it turns out well, it'll probably be one of the titles I buy when I eventually have to pick up a Wii U.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I was really confused at trying to figure out exactly what to watch this morning (I'm a Nintendo Direct n00b and I got stuck with a Japanese-language stream initially) but I did manage to catch X and thought it looked especially interesting.

I actually have no prior experience with Xenogears or Xenoblade, either, so I'm kind of curious what kind of game X is supposed to be relative to them.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

And I thought Xenoblade was decent as well. I hope X might have more shared with Xenogears, but I suppose that's just a bit of a hope, too. If it turns out well, it'll probably be one of the titles I buy when I eventually have to pick up a Wii U.

You and me pal, we're full of hope.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Darji

Because there is much more interesting stuff out there. Don't get me Wrong X is the most interesting Wii U game so far and probably for a long time but just watching the FFXV gameplay video was just better than the X stuff we have seen in this new trailer.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@aegon said:

It looks cool except 1) Some of those swords are too big and 2) The main character moves his hips like a girl.

That applies to every JRPG ever! ;)

Ketchupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ketchupp

@darji: FFXV absolutely looks cool, and will probably be the FF game I put the most time into, but as opposed to X I pretty much know what that game will be after seeing the trailer.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supamon said:

@truthtellah said:

@hailinel said:

You and me pal, we're full of hope.

Always.

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-21259-Hope-is-a-dangerous-thing-gif-WlVk.gif

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: I see your Morgan Freeman and raise you a Tim Robbins "arms never at his side" edition.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@hailinel said:

I'm gonna keep on flippin' my shit until one of two things happens:

1) Bayonetta 2 ends up sucking

or

2) Bayonetta 2 ends up on the PS4

Both options probably have a slim chance of actually happening, so I'm gonna be a salty guy for a loooooong time. In any case, I'll be happy if X is somehow connected to the Xenogears name. Even if I won't be able to enjoy it, Xenogears/Xenosaga deserve some sort of nod to avoid fading into obscurity.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supamon: To bring it back on topic, you gotta have hope through it all.

No Caption Provided

Souai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Souai

It's really hard to tell how a game will be just from the early trailers. Hell look at Xenoblade's 2009 E3 trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPI4WLEQ5as

I think they have more support this time around after how successful the original was, and I'm cautiously optimistic going into 2014 that Monolith will deliver something special.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There isn't much to discuss honestly. We know less about the game then we do when it was revealed a few months ago. It's obviously going to be online focused, but who knows beyond that.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: Love that picture, one day Xenogears.. one day.

Back on topic: Yeah trailer looked great and although they didn't show much I can get behind a new(or different since I never played Xenoblade) RPG with mechs in it. I'm so starving for good RPGs this gen.

nintendork666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup. Far more excited for this than any other game I saw at E3 this year.

The trailer is just way too badass.

Benjo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm starting to get more excited for this game than Zelda. The open world and real time battle system look really great.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm torn. JRPGs have long been one of my - if not my single - favorite genre. Xenoblade Chronicles was easily the best JRPG of the last generation. I absolutely want to play this one.

BUT

Nintendo insists on continuing to region lock its consoles and I live in Korea. In light of the WiiU's poor performance elsewhere, Nintendo seems to have postponed the Korean release date indefinitely anyway. Japanese imports are readily available. North American or European are not. Not to mention an imported WiiU costs as much as a local PS4, which is already available here, not region locked, and supports multiple languages. The shit-icing on the shit-cake: an imported North American WiiU game costs about $80.

It's bullshit. Both Sony and Microsoft dropped region locking with the last generation of machines and did quite well in Korea's admittedly small console market (PC reigns supreme here.) I guess Nintendo just doesn't want our money.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Corevi

@sinusoidal: Microsoft dropped region locking this generation, not last. The 360 was completely locked.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:

@sinusoidal: Microsoft dropped region locking this generation, not last. The 360 was completely locked.

Right. I forgot because most games for 360 weren't region locked outside of some sports' games, so it was hardly ever an issue here. Still better than Nintendo who region locks everything.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:

Right. I forgot because most games for 360 weren't region locked outside of some sports' games, so it was hardly ever an issue here. Still better than Nintendo who region locks everything.

Weird, every game was region locked here and in Japan.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:
    @sinusoidal said:
    @corevi said:

Weird, every game was region locked here and in Japan.

I could be totally wrong because I never had one myself, but two good friends of mine have Korean machines and say they have no trouble playing imports on them...

I performed some Google-fu and came up with this:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-00-3-xbox360_compatibility_guide-49-en.html

Looks like the 360's region locking is a hugely random clusterfuck of madness.

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killroycantkill said:

I feel a big part of the lack of discussion is the fact that not a lot of people played the original Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii. It was a Wii exclusive, that could only be sold by GameSpot, also it was discovered the GameStop held back copies of the game on purpose to artificially drive up rarity so they could sell it for $80-$90 USD used.

Monolith should of followed PlatinumGames standard of packing in the original game, versus selling it at MSRP value for the New 3DS/XL.

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@killroycantkill said:

I feel a big part of the lack of discussion is the fact that not a lot of people played the original Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii. It was a Wii exclusive, that could only be sold by GameSpot, also it was discovered the GameStop held back copies of the game on purpose to artificially drive up rarity so they could sell it for $80-$90 USD used.

Monolith should of followed PlatinumGames standard of packing in the original game, versus selling it at MSRP value for the New 3DS/XL.

I don't know if they should but that would be sweet value. I'd rather they get the extra money from me buying both games so I can see more games from them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.