News: Hey bro, I gots me some Xenoblade at the GameStop.

#1 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4191 posts) -

Hey bros. So there's this Cali girl at the Gamestop that said that she got some Xenoblade, from this guy she buys burritos from. So its mad cool and moderately priced. Organic, I think..

So yea, it seems that GameStop managed to get some Xenoblade Chronicles copies out of nowhere, for new, slapped the pre-owned sticker on them and are charging 90 fucking dollars a piece. Wack.

Kotaku: Extreme GameStop Pricing Leaves Some Fans Calling Scam

http://www.gamestop.com/wii/games/xenoblade-chronicles-gamestop-exclusive/98535?loc=bestsellers

My last GameStop game was Red Dead, and I haven't been back since. I feel pretty good about it.

#2 Posted by falserelic (5411 posts) -

Despite all the scams people will still love them...

#3 Posted by JJOR64 (18955 posts) -

Read about that from GoNintendo. Crazy that some people will actually pay that price for it. I would rather just go to eBay for a copy.

#4 Edited by Bane122 (786 posts) -

@jjor64: You're likely to pay more on ebay. It's a pretty rare game.

Honestly, in cases like this I don't blame people for piracy. If the game is no longer available in a way that will see money going to the devs and publishers, then fuck paying someone on ebay an exorbitant price.

#5 Edited by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

WHAT A BUNCH OF JOKAHS!

#6 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3182 posts) -

They probably thought they could get away with it because when they were originally distributing those games here in the states I believe you could only buy it from Nintendo. I remember when I found a copy of Skies of Arcadia online and went to the local gamestop they said they had it but then tried to jack the price up from $19.99 listed online to $39.99. Had to have them look it up online before they would give me the price I wanted.

Ok just looked up the selling price on Amazon and used copies are going for around 90 bucks. That is a fuckin insane amount to pay for a game that came out from the last generation. I seriously thought we were done with this shit, seriously. Last time I remember a game being sold this high even with used copies was an original version of Disgaea on ps2, before they started making more copies for the greatest hits release. I'm just glad I bought my copy of Xenoblade when I had the chance, but game isn't worth 100 bucks for.

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Anybody else think that they just collected returned/traded-in copies of the game so they could wait some amount of time to sell them at a ridiculously marked up price? Or if what I just said is legal?

#8 Posted by Kidavenger (3530 posts) -

I bought the game when it came out, they weren't displaying it, the person had to go into the back to get me a copy; I wouldn't be surprised if they just let that stock sit back there until they figured the price had peaked.

#9 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3182 posts) -

@video_game_king: I assume when it comes to a niche game like this it makes sense. Now not sure if this still applies considering I haven't been in a gamestop forever but I remember you could create a sort of list of games wanted with the company and if they get it in they'll call you or email you. I bet they take those stats and look at demand and amount of copies they have and jack up the prices if needed. I also ain't blaming gamestop cause on Amazon this game is selling for way too much used.

#10 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

those burritos are fucking awesome.

#11 Posted by bmehlers (129 posts) -

Read the Kotaku article, this scam is dirty. I have been really wanting to play this game too.

#12 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4191 posts) -

@killacam said:

those burritos are fucking awesome.

Preach it brother! But with this one.. :D...

#13 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3182 posts) -

@bmehlers said:

Read the Kotaku article, this scam is dirty. I have been really wanting to play this game too.

From what it looks like that new X game coming out is a similar game with hd graphics for the WiiU.

#14 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2288 posts) -

Trade in value is probably 4 dollars. 5 dollars if you do store credit

#15 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11613 posts) -

This is some shady-ass shit going on, and more of a reminder that I am never going to play Xenoblade because it's somehow reached Suikoden II levels of expensive already.

#16 Posted by wemibelec90 (1621 posts) -

Just saw a copy at my own Gamestop for this price recently; I was somewhat shocked to see it for that price but could understand why it was that way. Really makes me wonder what the person who traded it in got for it, hopefully at least half of that.

#17 Posted by Bane122 (786 posts) -

@wemibelec90: Yeah whenever Gamestop does good deals on trades I cry for the people that are giving them all the rare games on the lists.

#18 Posted by BIGJEFFREY (4917 posts) -

$5 Trade in Cash, $15 w/ Power Up Card

#19 Posted by rye256 (116 posts) -

Trade in value is $42 dollars with Power UP card. I called and asked.

#20 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10884 posts) -

That's pretty scummy.

Also, I'm glad I bought Xenoblade new last year when they first brought it out to the US. It's a great game. More people should play it.

It's not worth $90.

#21 Edited by Hunter5024 (5612 posts) -

I got mine for $15. I feel pretty good right now.

#22 Posted by Superkenon (1414 posts) -
@bane122 said:

@wemibelec90: Yeah whenever Gamestop does good deals on trades I cry for the people that are giving them all the rare games on the lists.

There was supposedly a recent deal that was something like "trade in two used games for $50 off on a new game," and Xenoblade was one of the games they accepted for it.

So yeah. At best they're turning $25 into $90, basically.

#23 Posted by Rayeth (1034 posts) -

The game is great. I'm glad I bought a copy and played it when it came out. It is NOT worth $90.

However, $90 is LESS than what you're looking at paying from nearly anywhere else outside a lucky garage sale buyer. The key here is that since the game is rare, its price will be high everywhere. So if you want to play it (it is a great game, but again not $90 great), this is sadly the cheapest option. Thanks Gamestop for ripping everyone off yet again.

#24 Edited by believer258 (11785 posts) -

@falserelic said:

Despite all the scams people will still love them...

I felt terrible for laughing at this, so I watched it again and laughed harder.

@bane122 said:

@jjor64: You're likely to pay more on ebay. It's a pretty rare game.

Honestly, in cases like this I don't blame people for piracy. If the game is no longer available in a way that will see money going to the devs and publishers, then fuck paying someone on ebay an exorbitant price.

I also don't blame people for piracy of this game, or anything that's hard to get. I've played a little bit of this game and it seems like it could end up as a fairly remarkable, well-crafted game.

@video_game_king said:

Anybody else think that they just collected returned/traded-in copies of the game so they could wait some amount of time to sell them at a ridiculously marked up price? Or if what I just said is legal?

I don't know if this is legit or if it is actually evidence of anything, but when looking around the internet I found this.

#25 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

I don't know if this is legit or if it is actually evidence of anything, but when looking around the internet I found this.

The copy I own seems to support this.

#26 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2360 posts) -

Well hot damn. I've always kinda wanted to play the game, but there's no fucking way I'm dropping $90 on it.

#27 Posted by MentalDisruption (1622 posts) -

I've been wanting to find a copy of this game, but not for $90.

#28 Posted by Dalai (7017 posts) -

That reminds me, I really should finish Xenoblade Chronicles someday and I will place it next to my Earthbound cartridge which is being devalued as we speak.

#29 Posted by Bane122 (786 posts) -

@superkenon: Yep, that deal's actually going on right now. XC, Metroid Prime Trilogy, the Wii Fire Emblem, the Pokemon Gold/Silver remakes.. all games worth a decent bit that they try to get from people at a low price.

Huh... I just realized almost all the games like that are from Nintendo platforms. Weird.

#30 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

I only buy new games from Gamestop which doesn't really benefit them at all; and even then it's just if I want a new game on release day which is less than 1 a year.

#31 Posted by Brendan (7752 posts) -

@jjor64: its more expensive everywhere else, believe me I know.

#32 Edited by Draxyle (1829 posts) -

Such a shame it's this artificially rare. It's not my favorite Xeno- title, but it's easily one of the best games of the platform.

I was impatient and imported myself a Euro copy when it came out there. It's probably still cheaper to go that route with a modded Wii (but still kind of a pain in the butt).

WHAT A BUNCH OF JOKAHS!

The best response.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.