Should I get this?

#1 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

I have no idea what this game is, I know it is an RPG but other than that no idea. Is this a turn based RPG or a real time RPG, what game does it most resemble.

Help me out here.

#2 Posted by Bocam (3552 posts) -

Have you played Final Fantasy 12? It's like that.

#3 Posted by dagas (2711 posts) -

@Bocam said:

Have you played Final Fantasy 12? It's like that.

I've read a lot of great reviews about Xenoblade Chronicles and the avarage score is 91 %, however I didn't like FF12. Does that mean I won't like XC?

#4 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

@Bocam: I played Final Fantasy X, is that like it too?

#5 Posted by McShank (1628 posts) -

Get it and you will enjoy it if you like good RPG's.

#6 Posted by Hailinel (22712 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@Bocam: I played Final Fantasy X, is that like it too?

FFX and FFXII are incredibly different from one another.

#7 Edited by DeF (4692 posts) -

Nintendo UK made a few official "let's play" videos (4 I believe) that explain how the game plays and what's going on while skipping over spoilery stuff.

I think you should watch that. Definitely don't buy it blind.

#8 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

@Hailinel: I've played Star Ocean (PS3), Paper Mario, Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga, Oblivion, Borderlands, Little Kings Story. Are any of those like Xenoblades?

#9 Posted by DeF (4692 posts) -

@Hizang: definitely not. no.

#10 Posted by RichieJohn (525 posts) -
@Hizang: Most like Star Ocean out of them.  
Your standard attacks happen automatically and you choose special attacks and buffs. There's a good system where your party can draw agro to open the enemy up for back stabs and the like. More like Dragon Age than anything else I've played to be honest.
I'm very early on and I've been drawn in to loads of side quests and just enjoying the combat.  
#11 Edited by Marz (5608 posts) -

It's a really good game, i put about 10 hours in.   It does have a alot of MMO influence especially interface, questing,  then combat has aggro management, skillchains, positional attacks,  something similar to an mmo combat system (i guess you can say FF12 was like that too).   But on top of that, it has a really good single player story.   There's also a relationship type of system where you can build influence on townsfolk and your party members, not so much romance but reputation system that will unlock more quests and special items.

#12 Posted by DeF (4692 posts) -

Also, you can jump off of cliffs! :)
Whatever you see on your screen, you can go there!

#13 Posted by Bocam (3552 posts) -

@DeF: You can also take fall damage

#14 Posted by GentlemanlyGentleman (317 posts) -
@dagas: If your anything like me, not at all. I hated FF12 and think this is bloody great. 

My only problem with it is that some of the plot points are a bit obvious. One in particular comes to mind, I potentially figured it out within the first 3 hours. I'm 20 hours in and they appear to be slowly building towards what I thought, I would like to be wrong.

But yeah, other than that I'd highly recommend it.
#15 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

I've not played nor will I play it cause I don't own a Wii, but a friend of mine who does is having a blast with it. But I'd definitely watch those videos that DeF posted above before making any decisions.

#16 Posted by mattdragn (73 posts) -

I pretty much got this on a whim, being a fan of the genre, and can say wholeheartedly that this is looking like being one of the best games I own on the wii. Strong voice acting some great music and a very interesting and explorable open world. It's well good. Should you buy it? I guess if you've enjoyed other JRPGs or are just looking for a very strong hardcore game on the Wii then you definitely should, otherwise have a read of the reviews online (edge magazine's convinced me).

#17 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

So I just got it today what with all the new buzz around it, gotta say i wish I would have got it 8 months ago!

#18 Posted by returnofjake (229 posts) -

I've only just started it but I'm already very excited about playing more... must find time.

#19 Posted by Hailinel (22712 posts) -

@Bocam said:

There's an achievement in the game for dying from fall damage.

Actually, there are achievements in this game for just about everything.

#20 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Bocam said:

I got that achievement, pretty awesome!

#21 Posted by DeF (4692 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@Hailinel said:

@Bocam said:

I loved how they rewarded my clumsiness/curiosity with that one :P

"Hmmmm ... Can I survive that faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa----"

"No, I can't."

#22 Posted by Hailinel (22712 posts) -

@DeF said:

@Hizang said:

@Hailinel said:

@Bocam said:

"No, I can't."

I got it by walking off a cliff at the edge of the map. There was no ground below me. Just an endless abyss. And then, ding!

Awesome.

#23 Posted by hershelgeorgelives (78 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@Hailinel: I've played Star Ocean (PS3), Paper Mario, Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga, Oblivion, Borderlands, Little Kings Story. Are any of those like Xenoblades?

It's pretty much Paper Mario meets Borderlands.

#24 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -

My favorite achievements are the gem crafting ones, simply because I got carried away with the game and did not actually craft any gems for about the first 25 hours. I ended up spending like an hour crafting and got (I think) every single gem related achievement at once which caused everyone in my party to level up.

#25 Posted by Hailinel (22712 posts) -

@hershelgeorgelives said:

@Hizang said:

It's pretty much Paper Mario meets Borderlands.

Man, what.

#26 Posted by DeF (4692 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@DeF said:

@Hizang said:

@Hailinel said:

@Bocam said:

"No, I can't."

I got it by walking off a cliff at the edge of the map. There was no ground below me. Just an endless abyss. And then, ding!

Awesome.

I think I got it on the Bionis' Leg on the cliffside where that high level dragon thing has its nest. There was some ether to mine but it was hard to reach (balancing and careful walking required) ... I think Reyn pushed me off though but he won't admit it :D

#27 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Should I try to be doing all side quests, so far I've done them all. Also should I be killing ever monster I encounter?

#28 Edited by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -

@Hizang: Depends on your play style for both. If you want to have any sort of challenge through the game then avoid doing too many side quests as you will quickly over level otherwise. If you want to be over powered then go for it. That said the main story on its own is around 50 hours and there are so many sidequests along the way that it's very easy to burn out on the game if you try to do them all, since the variety rarely changes (most major areas are composed of killing sidequests, item collection, and killing every unique mob in the area).

My general advice is if you're going to do sidequests stick to the ones from named NPCs since those are usually better made and change affinity of characters in the area. As for killing every monster that is an equally fast way to burn out/over level.

It really comes down to knowing your limits is all. If you are alright with mundane quests and being over leveled and find the sidequests fun then keep doing them. If not don't worry about it. Every sidequest that does not have a clock icon beside it can be done at nearly any point in the game. Those with clock icons go away eventually for various reasons, but most of them are not gone until near the end of the game.

#29 Posted by Hector (3346 posts) -

Is there a need for extensive grinding later on in the game?

#30 Posted by PolygonSlayer (416 posts) -

If you enjoy good JRPGs I think Xenoblade is a must. It does take a while to really get going, but when it does, I at least had a hard time putting the game down. One of my top games of last year for sure.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.