The Uncertain Future of Xenoblade

Posted by EpochError (75 posts) -

Xenoblade is a game I only became aware of recently. The title and cover art were vaguely familiar to me so I must have read something about it at some point, but I knew nothing about the game and certainly wasn't anticipating it. When I declared that the Wii would be dead after Skyward Sword, a friend mentioned Xenoblade as another 2011 release that could extend the useful life of my Wii a little longer and I started to look into it. The biggest discovery, although it really should have been obvious from the title, is that it's a Tetsuya Takahashi game, the man behind Xenogears and the Xenosaga series. I won't pretend to have no problems with his writing, specifically his tendency to make his plots unnecessarily labyrinthine, but there's a singularity and, at least in the case of Xenogears, brilliance to his visions that I appreciate very much. Writing aside, the game's director worked on the Xenosaga and Baten Kaitos games; I haven't played any of the latter series but it has a good reputation. The music was composed by Yasunori Mitsuda , the guy that did the Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross soundtracks; there's no one better in the business. Designers, producers, and artists that have worked on a host of well-regarded RPGs were also involved with Xenoblade. I'm saying the pedigree is impressive, and that's what got me excited.

While looking through the pre-E3 coverage on Destructoid last week, I came across an article where the author was listing things he'd like to see at E3 and one of them was an official announcement of Xenoblade coming stateside. There was also a link to an article from May where a voice actor for English version of the game claimed that it would be released in September in the US and Europe. A representative of Nintendo of Europe confirmed a September PAL release, but there was still no word about an NSTC-U version. And that didn't change at E3, unfortunately, where Reggie was asked about it directly and responded with, "We have nothing to announce at this time." Now, we know from official statements that the PAL release will have a full English dub and text translation, so it seems like most of the work that would be needed for a US localization would already be done as part of that version. With that in mind, releasing the game in America would appear to be the clear choice, yet the silence on NOA's end continues. After doing some research, the reason for the apparent hesitancy to release the game in the west is pretty obvious: it didn't sell. In the six months after its release Xenoblade sold a little over 140,000 copies in Japan. For a Nintendo-published JRPG on a massively successful console that isn't very impressive. I wouldn't call it a total bomb either, but it's definitely not the kind of title you feel obligated to bring to America, where the audience for it could conceivably be even smaller.

There’s reason for optimism, though. The poor sales figures are the kind of thing that would also prevent you from making a PAL version, yet they’re doing that for sure. I feel like it would be crazy for them to make an English language version of the game then only release it in Europe; choosing to not put Xenoblade out in a market as large as the United States when you’ve already done the heavy lifting of translating and recording voice work wouldn’t make sense. Arc Rise Fantasia sold about 58,000 copies in Japan and 110,000 copies in the US. That’s obviously more a reflection of America’s larger population than its love of JRPGs, but sales are sales. Of course, Arc Rise Fantasia may not be the best example to use because 110,000 copies is still pretty paltry, but a Nintendo-published game with even decent marketing would likely do better, especially given the dearth of good games coming out on the Wii right now. While looking for Xenoblade info online I found a forum post by someone who I’m sure has a lot more familiarity with the Nintendo Localization Experience than I do, and it said that titles Nintendo feels are niche, and Xenoblade apparently is, typically don’t get announced until very near release, presumably so they can kill them at the last minute if necessary and not have to deal with the embarrassment of canceling a game. So to the two people on this site that might be interested in the fate of this game, stay positive. I bet we see it released before the end of the year. But what do I know? I would have bet on it being announced at E3.
#1 Posted by EpochError (75 posts) -

Xenoblade is a game I only became aware of recently. The title and cover art were vaguely familiar to me so I must have read something about it at some point, but I knew nothing about the game and certainly wasn't anticipating it. When I declared that the Wii would be dead after Skyward Sword, a friend mentioned Xenoblade as another 2011 release that could extend the useful life of my Wii a little longer and I started to look into it. The biggest discovery, although it really should have been obvious from the title, is that it's a Tetsuya Takahashi game, the man behind Xenogears and the Xenosaga series. I won't pretend to have no problems with his writing, specifically his tendency to make his plots unnecessarily labyrinthine, but there's a singularity and, at least in the case of Xenogears, brilliance to his visions that I appreciate very much. Writing aside, the game's director worked on the Xenosaga and Baten Kaitos games; I haven't played any of the latter series but it has a good reputation. The music was composed by Yasunori Mitsuda , the guy that did the Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross soundtracks; there's no one better in the business. Designers, producers, and artists that have worked on a host of well-regarded RPGs were also involved with Xenoblade. I'm saying the pedigree is impressive, and that's what got me excited.

While looking through the pre-E3 coverage on Destructoid last week, I came across an article where the author was listing things he'd like to see at E3 and one of them was an official announcement of Xenoblade coming stateside. There was also a link to an article from May where a voice actor for English version of the game claimed that it would be released in September in the US and Europe. A representative of Nintendo of Europe confirmed a September PAL release, but there was still no word about an NSTC-U version. And that didn't change at E3, unfortunately, where Reggie was asked about it directly and responded with, "We have nothing to announce at this time." Now, we know from official statements that the PAL release will have a full English dub and text translation, so it seems like most of the work that would be needed for a US localization would already be done as part of that version. With that in mind, releasing the game in America would appear to be the clear choice, yet the silence on NOA's end continues. After doing some research, the reason for the apparent hesitancy to release the game in the west is pretty obvious: it didn't sell. In the six months after its release Xenoblade sold a little over 140,000 copies in Japan. For a Nintendo-published JRPG on a massively successful console that isn't very impressive. I wouldn't call it a total bomb either, but it's definitely not the kind of title you feel obligated to bring to America, where the audience for it could conceivably be even smaller.

There’s reason for optimism, though. The poor sales figures are the kind of thing that would also prevent you from making a PAL version, yet they’re doing that for sure. I feel like it would be crazy for them to make an English language version of the game then only release it in Europe; choosing to not put Xenoblade out in a market as large as the United States when you’ve already done the heavy lifting of translating and recording voice work wouldn’t make sense. Arc Rise Fantasia sold about 58,000 copies in Japan and 110,000 copies in the US. That’s obviously more a reflection of America’s larger population than its love of JRPGs, but sales are sales. Of course, Arc Rise Fantasia may not be the best example to use because 110,000 copies is still pretty paltry, but a Nintendo-published game with even decent marketing would likely do better, especially given the dearth of good games coming out on the Wii right now. While looking for Xenoblade info online I found a forum post by someone who I’m sure has a lot more familiarity with the Nintendo Localization Experience than I do, and it said that titles Nintendo feels are niche, and Xenoblade apparently is, typically don’t get announced until very near release, presumably so they can kill them at the last minute if necessary and not have to deal with the embarrassment of canceling a game. So to the two people on this site that might be interested in the fate of this game, stay positive. I bet we see it released before the end of the year. But what do I know? I would have bet on it being announced at E3.
#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (35822 posts) -

Wait, there's a chance that Xenoblade Chronicles will come out of Japan? When the hell will Shin Monshou no Nazo follow suit?

#3 Posted by roc_553 (207 posts) -

I wouldn't count on it, remember back to Disaster: Day of Crisis. Came out in Japan and Europe, never released in the US. It's less about the ease of localization and more that Nintendo just doesn't feel it's the right move.

#4 Posted by Hailinel (23677 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Wait, there's a chance that Xenoblade Chronicles will come out of Japan? When the hell will Shin Monshou no Nazo follow suit?

It's not a chance, it's been confirmed. Xenoblade Chronicles is seeing release in Europe, but a North American release has yet to be confirmed.

#5 Edited by EpochError (75 posts) -
@roc_553: You may be right. I don't have a lot of experience with waiting for release announcements like this, which is probably for the best because it seems to end in heartbreak pretty frequently.
#6 Posted by Icemael (6307 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

@Video_Game_King said:

It's not a chance, it's been confirmed. Xenoblade Chronicles is seeing release in Europe, but a North American release has yet to be confirmed.

In fact, Xenoblade Chronicles is the European title. In Japan it's just called Xenoblade.
#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (35822 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

@Video_Game_King said:

And you think that makes me feel better? Why won't that game come out of Japan?
#8 Posted by Hailinel (23677 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Hailinel said:

@Video_Game_King said:

And you think that makes me feel better? Why won't that game come out of Japan?

How well did the previous game sell internationally?

#9 Posted by Video_Game_King (35822 posts) -
@Hailinel

Apparently, about as well as Fire Emblem 4. But still, I want that damn game to get out of Japan. It's getting so bad that I think I've seen somebody working on a fan translation of the game.
#10 Posted by Hailinel (23677 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Hailinel: Apparently, about as well as Fire Emblem 4. But still, I want that damn game to get out of Japan. It's getting so bad that I think I've seen somebody working on a fan translation of the game.

How about discussing this elsewhere. This isn't a Fire Emblem thread.

#11 Posted by Video_Game_King (35822 posts) -
@Hailinel

And another thread has been derailed. I must be off.
#12 Posted by Hailinel (23677 posts) -

I have a friend who is a big fan of Xenogears and the Xenosaga series (well, at least parts of Xenosaga. Other aspects are simply irredeemable thanks to Namco's meddling). She'd definitely be enthused if Xenoblade were to make it stateside, though who knows at this point. Really, I'd just like to see either this or The Last Story see an American release.

#13 Posted by Karkarov (2942 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

I have a friend who is a big fan of Xenogears and the Xenosaga series (well, at least parts of Xenosaga. Other aspects are simply irredeemable thanks to Namco's meddling). She'd definitely be enthused if Xenoblade were to make it stateside, though who knows at this point. Really, I'd just like to see either this or The Last Story see an American release.

Why aim low, I want them both to be released.  Personally I consider them both to be fairly high interest games for me as they both have proven skilled RPG developers making them that have put out some of my favorite games but also have new systems and try to push the envelope and evolve the jrpg.  If it comes down to it I may just throw my wii in the trash and import a european one if that is what it takes.
#14 Posted by Icemael (6307 posts) -
@Hailinel: I will be very surprised if The Last Story doesn't make it to America. It's a Sakaguchi game. And it has an action combat system that involves cover-based shooting.
#15 Posted by EpochError (75 posts) -
@Hailinel: Can you elaborate on Namco's meddling in Xenosaga? I hadn't heard about it. I don't know very much about that series, though. I played through Episode I at the time of its release and really liked it but when I tried Episode II recently I couldn't really get into it. 

In Xenoblade news, there is none. It wasn't on the list of upcoming releases posted by Patrick today. That doesn't necessarily mean anything but it's definitely not encouraging. god damn it nintendo
#16 Posted by Hailinel (23677 posts) -

@EpochError said:

@Hailinel: Can you elaborate on Namco's meddling in Xenosaga? I hadn't heard about it. I don't know very much about that series, though. I played through Episode I at the time of its release and really liked it but when I tried Episode II recently I couldn't really get into it.

In Xenoblade news, there is none. It wasn't on the list of upcoming releases posted by Patrick today. That doesn't necessarily mean anything but it's definitely not encouraging. god damn it nintendo

Namco basically forced the developers to alter the gameplay and cut certain elements of the story down in Episode II in an effort to expand the audience. As a result, both the gameplay and story suffered to the point that it alienated what fans the series already had. Xenosaga was planned as a six game arc and had to be cut down to three because Episode II pretty much destroyed the momentum built by the first game.

#17 Posted by Tackchevy (261 posts) -

Bring it to the US. I'll buy five copies, screw it. Such a waste if this doesn't make it over. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.