Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xenoblade Chronicles

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jun 10, 2010

An RPG developed by Monolith Soft, for Wii and New Nintendo 3DS. Two great civilizations that live on the vast bodies of slain deities have been at war for aeons, and now with the development of a dangerous superweapon, things are finally coming to a head.

Too Big For the New 3DS?

chemystery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

I have not played the Wii edition but I'm concerned that the game renowned for its sweeping vistas and open world may not hold up so well on the New 3DS. I'm just about to break down and buy it because I have heard mostly good things, but I was just wondering if the community here weighed heavily with any opinions. I'm all ears over here.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BisonHero

I have not played the 3DS version. In general, I don't like playing polygonal JRPGs on Sony/Nintendo handheld platforms (DS, PSP, 3DS, Vita). The 2D RPGs still look really slick, but most of the polygonal ones still look like a butt, and I'd vastly prefer playing that same game on a console instead. As it turns out, Xenoblade Chronicles is available on the Wii! Or just wait for Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Wii U.

If you have neither of those, then sure, go for it, might as well play the 3DS version if the alternative is just skipping it entirely.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I would prefer the look on the new 3ds over on my Wii. But that is partially because I prefer handheld games at times due to the things I have to do.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

As far as I understand it the 3DS and Wii games are basically identical with the only difference being some texture difference. But you may not notice at all with the small screen size anyway.

Here's a comparison video of the start of the game on the 3DS and Wii versions. The Wii version is clearly superior to the 3DS version (which is slightly more blurred) but the view distance is the same (they just lowered the texture quality and some of the polygon count). The differences are so minor though that I don't actually think playing the 3DS version first would be to much of a detriment. To be honest, even when the original came out in 2011, it was on the low texture/polygon count (being on the Wii long into the lives of the 360 and PS3) so it was never a marvel from a technical aspect. It's impressive from a thematic and artistic perspective, which seems to make the jump to the 3DS version.

And if you're worried about controls, the wii one is actually very simple from that regard (like an MMO) so it should easily make the jump to the 3DS (and thinking on it, it would probably suit a handheld better anyway).

Here's a great video review specifically about the difference to the 3DS version where, TL;DR, he recommends newcomers to start with the 3DS version.

FYI, I think the advice to wait for Xenoblade Chronicles X at this point is horrible advice. The upcoming one is actually very difference (with a focus on making your own player character over following the journey of pre-designed characters - what I personally think is the biggest selling point of the original). It's like saying to people interested in playing the original Legend of Zelda, to just play Zelda II as it's the sequel. Xenoblade on the Wii and New 3DS is a fantastic game that you should play if you like JRPG's or just fantasy story-telling in general (or if you just want to hear what Jenna Coleman was doing before Doctor Who).

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

One thing I forgot to mention that I found when looking up the differences is that there isn't a Japanese Voice Acting option on the New 3DS version (which is on the Wii version). As someone who never minds English dubs, I don't even realise you could turn that on for the Wii Version. So if you absolutely must play it in Japanese (or you just hate British accents) then that could be a reason to avoid that version.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I'm 10 hours into the New 3DS version with no complaints. Never played the Wii version, and probably won't since it's so expensive now. I've just been playing with quality headphones, I still get myself lost in Gaur Plain. It's fun!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.