Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xenoblade Chronicles

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jun 10, 2010

An RPG developed by Monolith Soft, for Wii and New Nintendo 3DS. Two great civilizations that live on the vast bodies of slain deities have been at war for aeons, and now with the development of a dangerous superweapon, things are finally coming to a head.

Xenoblade Chronicles is amazing

Fordroog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Fordroog

I'm only a few hours in but this game is blowing my mind. If it keeps up this quality, it could easily be one of my favourite games ever.

And what an INCREDIBLE soundtrack.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Man I really want to play this game. Is it still completely unaffordable?

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

@geraltitude said:

Gamestop still sells it used for $50, which seems like a reasonable price considering how much people seem to like it. Of course, you have to be able to find a copy at your local store.

sawtooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By sawtooth

Damn mobile editing...

Xenoblade is da best.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@geraltitude said:

Gamestop still sells it used for $50, which seems like a reasonable price considering how much people seem to like it. Of course, you have to be able to find a copy at your local store.

I... just caved and bought it on eBay for 50 buckaroos. No local Gamestops/similar where I live unfortunately.

Starting prices on Amazon for either Canada or US is ~ 100 so do not go there.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Yes, yes it is. Easily one of the best RPGs of the past generation. And that soundtrack is simply phenomenal.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By DeadpanCakes

I've got to be one of, like, two people that didn't like the game too much. I didn't get very attached to the characters at all, and while I liked the latter half of the story, I thought there were some pacing issues. I remember feeling like a lot of the side quests (with the exception of the colony 6 stuff) were uninspired and I got tired of the combat real fast.

My favorite part though, were the environments. I thought the setting was so cool, and the scope of some areas was fantastic, despite finding some of the traversal to be frustrating. Because of that, I'm really interested to see Xenoblade Chronicles X, if it even just matches the imaginative scope but makes it look prettier, I think I'd be satisfied.

Oh yeah, and the music is indeed great. Probably one of the only games I didn't love and still listen to the music.

Edit: Haha, I just realized that I admitted to liking FFX-2 and not really enjoying Xenoblade: Chronicles on the same day. I really am an alien.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I need to pick it up still. My Gamestop has had a copy for awhile. Although, having just played FFXII, I would LOVE a game with that game's combat and Xenoblade's vast open environments. That would be fantastic.

Fordroog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude: it's available online for sure man, in shops it's hard to come by though. I just had to get it because of everything I heard about it.

It's worth the price, hands down.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I thought it was pretty good. There were some things I really loved about it, like the gigantic environments and the numerous features stuffed in the game to keep you doing something interesting. I did find the constant voice acting in battles to be tiring, and the majority of the sidequests to be little more than spending a long-ass time walking around big maps to pick up blue orbs that represent loot. 4/5 stars. Also I paid $120 on Amazon. If anyone wants to buy it off me I'll give you store price.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup. One of my favourite games. Enjoy it!

Fleckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Xenoblade Chronicles X going to be exclusively sold at Gamestop?

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I hope when they release X they release this as an HD up-port to the Wii U on the eshop.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed. I'd go so far as to call it the only great JRPG of the last generation, but there's still a few notables I have yet to get around to. I might have to get a component-hdmi converter because I kind of want to play my Wii again.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I've had this game since it was released, but it seems so massive that I haven't really wanted to jump into because I have so many other games to play.

astrophyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 20

I went back to it finally, and now I've put 80 hours into it and I already think it is one of the best games I have played in my 30-years of RPG gaming. Play it. I like cliche cheesy dialogue if the ideas and scale are epic and well executed. It is oozing heart and soul and creativity. Incredible game.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Steadying

I thought it was amazing until around the point where you reach Mechonis. I just feel like there was such a massive drop in quality after that.

But yeah, overall, one of my favorite games of all time. Incredible story, soundtrack, gameplay, world, etc. Ending was total shit, but I'm still hopeful that Xenoblade X will fix that.

It's also one of the only games (or stories in general) where some of the twists literally left me with my mouth hanging open. I know most people probably saw it coming a mile away, but I was NOT expecting Metal Face to be Mumkar at all. When that reveal happened I was completely shocked.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sinusoidal

Ha! I came in here to say the thing I said in this thread a month ago before realizing I'd already posted.

Anyway, having recently finished Lightning Returns, I can safely say Xenoblade Chronicles is still the best JRPG (by a mile) of the past generation that I've played. It does everything right that XIII and its sequels get wrong: a great cast of characters I can care about, a coherent and sufficiently Japanese-ridiculous plot that manages to be entertaining and a bit original despite itself and rarely if ever takes itself too seriously, a gorgeous open-world actually worth exploring.

Argh! If Xenoblade X is any good I might have to shell out for a WiiU.

GideonAmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread made me want to play Xenoblade again, but then I remember that I lost my disc and sold my Wii. I hope they will put this game on the HD remaster train too for the Wii U.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Should I get this game? A few of my favorite JRPGs of all time are Persona 3 and 4, Final Fantasy VII and IX, Chrono Trigger, and Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne.

It seems like I've missed out on never paying attention to this.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Should I get this game? A few of my favorite JRPGs of all time are Persona 3 and 4, Final Fantasy VII and IX, Chrono Trigger, and Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne.

If you think you'd enjoy an RPG with a vast explorable world, a lot of sidequests, and a real-time combat system, then yes, I would highly recommend it to you. Even if you aren't into that, I'd recommend it anyway because it's an excellent game.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@hailinel said:
    @frostyryan said:

If you think you'd enjoy an RPG with a vast explorable world, a lot of sidequests, and a real-time combat system, then yes, I would highly recommend it to you. Even if you aren't into that, I'd recommend it anyway because it's an excellent game.

While technically correct, I don't know that the game is "real time" combat in the sense that most people would think of it. I mean, it's not a "hit the attack button a bunch" game, it's a do auto attacks while you wait for meters to refill game.

That said, I'm arguing semantics here, and absolutely loved the game, so yes, play it.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: @mooseymcman:

How's the story? I can definitely play a JRPG for gameplay alone(I love SMT3 and 4,) but story is always the best motivator for me.

and yes I know how the combat is in the game. It is real time but not action combat like Kingdom Hearts for example. Apparently it's like FFXII only much better.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: @mooseymcman:

How's the story? I can definitely play a JRPG for gameplay alone(I love SMT3 and 4,) but story is always the best motivator for me.

and yes I know how the combat is in the game. It is real time but not action combat like Kingdom Hearts for example. Apparently it's like FFXII only much better.

I tihnk that the story and characters are excellent. Riki can grate on some people, but he and the rest of the Nopons are handled really well, and they actually pull some funny twists on the idea of the cute mascot character. Otherwise, the story is heavily influenced by the same gnostic philosophies and concepts that drove Xenogears and Xenosaga, but in a setting divorced from those earlier titles.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

I tihnk that the story and characters are excellent. Riki can grate on some people, but he and the rest of the Nopons are handled really well, and they actually pull some funny twists on the idea of the cute mascot character. Otherwise, the story is heavily influenced by the same gnostic philosophies and concepts that drove Xenogears and Xenosaga, but in a setting divorced from those earlier titles.

Is Xenoblade connected to gears and saga? They obviously start with Xeno, but I wasn't sure. Should I play those as well? I hear Xenogears is something of a classic.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if it's worth getting a N3DS for? P.S I don't have a WII and already got a 3DS....

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

Is Xenoblade connected to gears and saga? They obviously start with Xeno, but I wasn't sure. Should I play those as well? I hear Xenogears is something of a classic.

There is no story connection between Xenoblade and gears or saga. You don't need to play those games to enjoy or understand Xenoblade. I have a friend that considers Xenogears to be her favorite game of all time, but she's quick to acknowledge some severe flaws (a second disc that is almost all text due to massive budget cuts being the most notable). Xenosaga is a really good series, though it also suffered from budget and backdoor meddling that resulted in the planned six-episode arc being cut down to three and questionable design decisions made in the sequels that were pushed to make them "more accessible" in an attempt to broaden the audience.

I'd say play Xenoblade, then try Xenogears. I consider Xenosaga I a fantastic game, but I can't say much personally about Episodes II and III since I was burned out by poor pacing at the end of II and never moved on to III.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

Xenogears is great. The whole Xenosaga I think is crap though.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ripelivejam

Big question is can shulk be shirtless in this

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Big question is can shulk be shirtless in this

Yes he can.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.