Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xenogears

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Feb 11, 1998

Xenogears is an RPG spanning several millennia, weaving religion and philosophy with science fiction and turn based gameplay.

Now that Xenogears is coming to PSN your reaction is?

Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Daroki
    Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Daroki

So the Playstation Blog announced that tomorrow (February 22nd, 2011) that Xenogears will finally make it's way onto the North American Playstation Store.  All I've heard whenever any PSOne Classic is put on the system is whining that this game hasn't been put up yet, so what's your thought.  Must Get?  Rather SE given us something else?  Or are you THAT guy... you know the one.
    ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By ESREVER

I pretty excited for this. I missed out on a lot of the classic PSOne RPGs because I never had the console. 
    So being given the chance to play this game for a lot less than the asking price is wonderful news! 

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By SuperWristBands

I can't answer your poll because I never want to give Square Enix my money but I am interested in this game. I also didn't have a chance to play this and I would like to.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By frankfartmouth

I guess I'm that guy. I never really thought Xenogears was that great. Good, for sure, but it didn't pull me in as much as a lot of the other PS1 Square stuff.  Can't like em all, though. Got to go against the grain some of the time.  

It's worth $10 anyway.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By KaosAngel

10 bucks lost this week.  -_-

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I loved Xenogears at the time but I think playing it again will taint my memories.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By X19

Just North America? Well excuse me while I play more Vagrant Story then ;)

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By DeShawn2ks
    @Daroki:  Are you fucking serious? Xenogears is a must buy for me. I rented once and almost beat it back in the day. I loved every minute of it. Soon as it goes up I am getting it.
    Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Daroki
    @frankfartmouth said:
    "I guess I'm that guy. I never really thought Xenogears was that great. Good, for sure, but it didn't pull me in as much as a lot of the other PS1 Square stuff.  Can't like em all, though. Got to go against the grain some of the time.    It's worth $10 anyway. "

Nope, you're not that guy, that was far too polite.   

@bartok 
    You and me both.  I'm scared that I'm going to fire this up and go... "Oh crap, this was TERRIBLE and it's making my eyeballs bleed." 
    OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By OmegaChosen

I don't know much about Xenogears so I'm a bit indifferent. :/

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By IBurningStar

I want Vagrant Story. I have been saying that for a couple years now. We need that game on PSN.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Looks cool.

Probably won't be getting it right away though.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By McGhee

You left out the other option for me which is 

"Dude, I just bought an original edition in perfect condition for $50."  

But that's fine by me. PS1 era games do not look good to me on an HDTV. I got an old standard definition tube TV from my grandma just to play PS1 games.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By chrissedoff

i used to love xenogears before i went to high school then i realized all that stuff that i thought was so trippy and smart was just an unfinished nonsensical mush that name-checks a bunch of philosophical and religious terminology in a totally superficial way (with a broken combat system). there's really no going back to this one.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By ESREVER
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
    " You left out the other option for me which is  "Dude, I just bought an original edition in perfect condition for $50."   But that's fine by me. PS1 era games do not look good to me on an HDTV. I got an old standard definition tube TV from my grandma just to play PS1 games. "
    I did that for Parasite Eve 1&2 right before they announced it coming to PSN. 
    Whatever, no regrets. PE1 was awesome. Still need to play PE2, though.
    iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By iDarktread
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
    " You left out the other option for me which is  "Dude, I just bought an original edition in perfect condition for $50."   But that's fine by me. PS1 era games do not look good to me on an HDTV. I got an old standard definition tube TV from my grandma just to play PS1 games. "
    This is funny since I just found out about Xenogears being released, along with Vagrant Story, since I actually went out and purchased the latter at a used store yesterday, with no knowledge of their imminent re-releases. I think I'll take back Vagrant Story for now, though, and just get it later so that I can play it on both my PS3 and PSP, for a lot less money.

Oh, and the fact that you just posted on my poll regarding coincidences. Seriously, what the hell?
    Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By Chris2KLee

I want Vagrant story, but only because I haven't finished it yet. Loved Xenogears, but I don't think I would want to go through it again. I imagine the voice acting has only gotten worse with time.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Nasar7

Happiness. Out of the games you listed this is the only one I don't have on disc (when I played Xenogears originally it was borrowed from a friend).

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By McGhee
    @iDarktread said:
    " @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
    This is funny since I just found out about Xenogears being released, along with Vagrant Story, since I actually went out and purchased the latter at a used store yesterday, with no knowledge of their imminent re-releases. I think I'll take back Vagrant Story for now, though, and just get it later so that I can play it on both my PS3 and PSP, for a lot less money. Oh, and the fact that you just posted on my poll regarding coincidences. Seriously, what the hell? "
    Oh, that was you about the coincidences? LOL, kind of proves my point. :P
    Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixrevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By fenixrevolution

It's about time. Hopefully SE stops skimping on their PSN releases. 

Their entire PSX catalog deserves to be up there.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By vidiot
    Now that Xenogears is coming to PSN your reaction is?
    Why do I need to pay money for something I already own, and is exactly the same as said owned product.

Don't get me wrong, if you haven't checked out Xenogears: This is a good time to do so. 
    At the same time, I find these original PSX releases incredibly underwhelming. 
    No real technical reason why I would want to purchase it off of PSN. They look and feel like cheap emulation jobs, even though they're not supposed to be. Speaking of emulation: I can run my copy of XenoGears on my computer, and get it looking better than what it will on my PS3. Any little reason why I would want to pick it up again? Trophies? No? Nothing? Well, alright. Moving on to the next PSX release of something I already own.

So to answer the question: Severe indifference. Although, if you haven't had the opportunity to play it, I recommend downloading it. Xenogears is a really good game.
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#24  Edited By Jazz

Wait, is this coming to the EU too? and WTF is going on with the lack of Parasite Eve, and why would anyone want to play the second game?

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GaspoweR

Dude, they should fucking put out Vagrant Story. I had some great memories of that game... or better yet have an HD port. This will probably make me buy a PS 3 in the future if they decide to push through with this.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By Video_Game_King

My reaction is, "I don't own a PS3, so how does this affect me?"

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Gargantuan

What's Xenogear?

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By XenoNick

F) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BRING IT TO UK PSN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29  Edited By KaosAngel

I heard if I play this on the PS3, I can play it in bed while I use my PSP too and the saves link up. 

Is this true?  Never bought a PSone game from PSN yet.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By frankxiv
    @ESREVER said:
    I did that for Parasite Eve 1&2 right before they announced it coming to PSN. Whatever, no regrets. PE1 was awesome. Still need to play PE2, though. "
    check this out, i bought disgaea at launch, ps2 died, ended up selling everything else. got a ps3, disgaea 3 wasn't out for another year, decided to re-buy it, ended up paying like $120. psp version comes out a month or two later, ps2 version prices drop HARD
    shakashuri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By shakashuri

Good stuff now how bout some Suikoden II always wanted to try it but the used asking price is madness

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#32  Edited By Brackynews
    @KaosAngel said:
    " I heard if I play this on the PS3, I can play it in bed while I use my PSP too and the saves link up.  Is this true?  Never bought a PSone game from PSN yet. "
    I have several PSone games on my PSP, but haven't encountered any functionality for transferring saves. (Would love to know if there is.)
    You might be referring to Remote Play, which means you don't even need to transfer data to your memory stick, so the saves stay on the PS3 anyway.
    There's a slight input lag and a bit of video blur, but overall it works pretty good with PSone titles... if you don't mind keeping your PS3 running.
    Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Daroki
    @onimonkii said:
    " @ESREVER said:
    I did that for Parasite Eve 1&2 right before they announced it coming to PSN. Whatever, no regrets. PE1 was awesome. Still need to play PE2, though. "
    check this out, i bought disgaea at launch, ps2 died, ended up selling everything else. got a ps3, disgaea 3 wasn't out for another year, decided to re-buy it, ended up paying like $120. psp version comes out a month or two later, ps2 version prices drop HARD "
    And worse yet, Afternoon of Darkness was a superior version than Hour of Darkness was.  *frown* 
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By kingzetta

I have portable Xenogears that pretty good.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MrKlorox

Great for folks who don't already own it on disc and can't use a good PC emulator to play it.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By kingzetta
    @KaosAngel said:
    " I heard if I play this on the PS3, I can play it in bed while I use my PSP too and the saves link up.  Is this true?  Never bought a PSone game from PSN yet. "
    Well you'd have to manually transfer the saves, but yes
    Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By the_hiro_abides

Considering I only rented Xenogears I'm fairly excited for this! It was slow to start but I remember it fondly. Plus it got all soylent green near the end mixed with some random Freudian terminology throughout the game.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#38  Edited By gla55jAw

I already have Xenogears, although I have yet to play it. I'll prob pick this up at some point for my PSP and actually play it.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#39  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

It was a pretty great game.  I'm looking forward to playing it again without worrying I'll scuff up my old discs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.