Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xenogears

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Feb 11, 1998

Xenogears is an RPG spanning several millennia, weaving religion and philosophy with science fiction and turn based gameplay.

Other Games Founded in Philosophy/Psychoanalysis?

Avatar image for gold_skulltulla
    Gold_Skulltulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Gold_Skulltulla

It's been a long while since I played Xenogears, but I remember liking how it's structure was built on famous philosophical/psychoanalytical allegories (Freud, Lacan, Jung). Did the Xenosaga games handle this kind of content well? Is there any of it in Xenoblade Chronicles? Any other games that steep themselves in these kinds of dogmatic tropes? I feel like PS1-era Square was really into this and no one really picked up the ball after that, but I'm sure I'm forgetting some games of note.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

It may not be quite what you are referring to but the whole hook of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is that is pays attention to your every action and tailors itself based on what it infers about you.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

The universe of Deus Ex: Human Revolution does use transhumanism as a running theme, if you count that.

Gold_Skulltulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Gold_Skulltulla

@ImmortalSaiyan: I forgot about the whole psychiatrist angle in Shattered Memories. I really need to play that one.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel

@Gold_Skulltulla said:

It's been a long while since I played Xenogears, but I remember liking how it's structure was built on famous philosophical/psychoanalytical allegories (Freud, Lacan, Jung). Did the Xenosaga games handle this kind of content well? Is there any of it in Xenoblade Chronicles? Any other games that steep themselves in these kinds of dogmatic tropes? I feel like PS1-era Square was really into this and no one really picked up the ball after that, but I'm sure I'm forgetting some games of note.

Xenosaga and Xenoblade are both infused with elements of gnosticism. Hell, in Xenosaga, you fight space monsters called Gnosis.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By csl316

Eternal Sonata? I didn't finish it, but there's all sorts of stuff about dreams and existentialism.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Turambar
    @Gold_Skulltulla said:

Xenosaga has very overt tones of gnosticism.  Xenoblade, not so much.  Or at the least, it's been far more subtle up to where I've been in the game.  The Persona series is also very heavily rooted in Jungian psychology as well as mythology.

Actually, almost all the titles in the Shin Megami Tensei franchise have some layer of philosophy and mythology in them as a foundational theme.
    TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TentPole

Both of American McGee's Alice games do to a degree.

Gold_Skulltulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Gold_Skulltulla

@Hailinel said:

@Gold_Skulltulla said:

Xenosaga and Xenoblade are both infused with elements of gnosticism. Hell, in Xenosaga, you fight space monsters called Gnosis.

I love those bold Japanese fictional character naming conventions.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By JasonR86

I can only imagine a game being done with an emphasis on actual psychoanalysis being done very, very poorly and being mind-numbingly boring.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hailinel

@JasonR86 said:

I can only imagine a game being done with an emphasis on actual psychoanalysis being done very, very poorly and being mind-numbingly boring.

Depends on how you interpret that. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories was anything but boring.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JasonR86

@Hailinel said:

@JasonR86 said:

Depends on how you interpret that. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories was anything but boring.

Shattered Memories wasn't about psychoanalysis. From what I remember, the therapist in the game wasn't working from a psychoanalytical perspective. He was working from a 'hollywood' perspective.

I couldn't find an actual video of a psychoanalytical session but this guy talks a little about what a modern psychoanalyst kind of does and the techniques and theory an analyst works from.

...thrilling isn't it?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hailinel

@JasonR86 said:

@Hailinel said:

@JasonR86 said:

Shattered Memories wasn't about psychoanalysis.

But your interactions with the psychiatrist and actions you take during the game influence the way events play out.

Gold_Skulltulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gold_Skulltulla

@JasonR86 said:

Worth a shot, right? Maybe you play as Zizek?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JasonR86

@Hailinel:

I edited my original post so that it explains more of what I was trying to say.

@Gold_Skulltulla said:

@JasonR86 said:

Sure, you could try it. But I see such a game going two ways; making the therapy look more 'hollywood' and destroying the actual intention of the theory behind the therapy or it would just be boring because psychoanalysis takes a long, long time to work.

Gold_Skulltulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gold_Skulltulla

@JasonR86 said:

@Hailinel:

I edited my original post so that it explains more of what I was trying to say.

@Gold_Skulltulla said:

@JasonR86 said:

Sure, you could try it. But I see such a game going two ways; making the therapy look more 'hollywood' and destroying the actual intention of the theory behind the therapy or it would just be boring because psychoanalysis takes a long, long time to work.

It wouldn't need to be a simulation, but yeah it would be a tall order. Honestly, looking at Xenogears, its implementation often comes off as ham-fisted (Your split personality is named Id? Not tough to figure that one out). Then again, most of the suggestions here are 100-hour games, so time consumption wouldn't be the main issue; just need to find an interesting way to present such dense material that can maintain attention for that length of time.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By xyzygy

Alan Wake is pretty psychoanalytical. The finale of Xenoblade is probably the most philosophical experience I've had in a video game, though. Other philosophical games are Enslaved, the Bioshocks, Too Human, and (to a much smaller degree) Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. Those are just from this gen and off the top of my head...

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are psychoanalytical in that your mind is always second guessing itself and the game constantly fucks with you :P

OH I almost forgot: Baten Kaitos! That game is very philosophical, from what I can remember of it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.