Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xenogears

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Feb 11, 1998

Xenogears is an RPG spanning several millennia, weaving religion and philosophy with science fiction and turn based gameplay.

So how is the re-release?

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Dizzyhippos

Considering getting it but I wanted to check first. Is it still a good jrpg or is it one of those FFVII situations where it should stay as a memory?

LightRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By LightRain

What system is it for?

Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Punk1984

Same as it ever was, if you played it on PS2 with the memory savers turned on it looks identical, maybe load times are quicker. Great game.

ftomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By ftomato
    @LightRain: PS1 classics on PSN.

Also, as someone who has never played it and is somewhat interested, does it still hold up?
    drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By drac96
    @FTomato said:

" @LightRain: PS1 classics on PSN.  Also, as someone who has never played it and is somewhat interested, does it still hold up? "

I'm about 25 hours in now and I had never played it before. I'm really liking it. I think it holds up nicely, but I really just like JRPGs for the PS1.     
    rasko9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By rasko9

i have never played it till now i jus got it 2 days ago and im playn it too the end its awsome.  
    ive played the final fantasies and legend of dragoon and grandia and i cant believe i missed out on this game  
    THANK YOU PSN CLASSICS! lol
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By keyhunter

Probably one of the ugliest PSX games I've ever played. I kind of regret buying it on PSN and ruining my memory of it being amazing and whatnot.

SpliTTMark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SpliTTMark
    @keyhunter said:

" Probably one of the ugliest PSX games I've ever played. I kind of regret buying it on PSN and ruining my memory of it being amazing and whatnot. "

*ps1

i personally think legend of dragoon is the ugliest, the graphics for that game look like someone threw up textures on a poor made character model.
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Its the same as it was, not sure if thats good or bad though. 
    Amnesia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Amnesia
    @bshirk said:
    " I think it's held up incredibly well. The plot is still my favorite of any video game. There's a lot to follow, but if you enjoy a story with a great amount of depth, I'd highly recommend it -- that is unless you can't stomach random battles and some grammatical issues resulting from a mediocre localization. I especially recommend this game to fans of Chrono Trigger and Cross as many of the developers worked on those two games including the composer. "
    Couldn't have said it any better myself. I love all the nods it makes to Chrono Trigger, from the Millennial Fair in Aveh to the inclusion of the wise men to the bell music in Shevat that was reminiscent of Zeal's (two areas which shared some similarities beyond the music).

Also, I actually liked the game better setting it to widescreen in the ps3 options. No black bars on the sides and it felt more proportionally correct (ie portrait boxes became squares rather than squished rectangles)
    Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Vonocourt
    @SpliTTMark: PSX is a nickname for PS1.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By vidiot
    @keyhunter said:
    " Probably one of the ugliest PSX games I've ever played. I kind of regret buying it on PSN and ruining my memory of it being amazing and whatnot. "
    I remember some pretty god-awful looking Playstation games. This is not one of them. 
    To be fair though, from the sound of things I suggest you replay some other PSX game's to revitalize your memory. Specifically games that attempted 3D environments in a similar nature as Xenogears.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By keyhunter
    @vidiot said:
    " @keyhunter said:
    I remember some pretty god-awful looking Playstation games. This is not one of them.  To be fair though, from the sound of things I suggest you replay some other PSX game's to revitalize your memory. Specifically games that attempted 3D environments in a similar nature as Xenogears. "
    I recently went back to Legend of Mana, Crash Bandicoot 2, FF tactics, and Harvest Moon: Back to Nature. I'm making this judgement based on those games. All of which still look pretty good even by todays standards.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By vidiot
    @keyhunter said:
    " @vidiot said:
    " @keyhunter said:
    I remember some pretty god-awful looking Playstation games. This is not one of them.  To be fair though, from the sound of things I suggest you replay some other PSX game's to revitalize your memory. Specifically games that attempted 3D environments in a similar nature as Xenogears. "
    I recently went back to Legend of Mana, Crash Bandicoot 2, FF tactics, and Harvest Moon: Back to Nature. I'm making this judgement based on those games. All of which still look pretty good even by today's standards. "
    ...and you think Final Fantasy Tactics looks better than Xenogears? I'm pretty positive that Square used the same game engine for both titles. 
    To each his own, I can see people being dismayed over the use of very basic 3D environments with 2D characters, but during the context of it's time it was invaluable. I can't imagine certain key scenes in Xenogears without having a moving camera, versus the traditional Final Fantasy route. The sheer visual presentation of Xenogears is one of the first things that I remember of that game. The versatility was fantastic, especially in later sequences. There's a lot of complexity regarding many sequences in that game, complexity that other games would have answered with a high production CG sequence.
    Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Solh0und
    @SpliTTMark said: 

*ps1  i personally think legend of dragoon is the ugliest, the graphics for that game look like someone threw up textures on a poor made character model. "

Agreed. That game didn't age well.
    Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Punk1984
    @solh0und said:
    " @SpliTTMark said: 

*ps1  i personally think legend of dragoon is the ugliest, the graphics for that game look like someone threw up textures on a poor made character model. "

Agreed. That game didn't age well. "
    Yeah that game aged horribly. I wish they would revisit it because of the battle system.
    Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Aetheldod
    @Dizzyhippos:  Well for me it is my favorite JRPG next to FInal Fantasy VIII ... If you liked Xenogears then you will love this game also the story my gosh is one of the best around , also you have a very awesome battle system and also you get inside of robots .... dude it is awesome ;)
    BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By BrittonPeele

As someone who didn't play it on the PSX (I know, I'm a bad person), would I be able to play it on the PSP without any issues? I don't have time to play a long RPG in front of my TV right now, but I might be able to squeeze in time for a portable experience.

Morien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Morien

I bought it and transfered it to my PSP, doesn't look bad on a smaller screen, and now I can take it with me wherever I go! Or just play it in bed before I sleep. 
    Anyway, I think it still plays well. It's been so long since I last played through it back when it came out originally, the game is still fun to play. 

SpliTTMark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SpliTTMark
    @Vonocourt said:
    " @SpliTTMark: PSX is a nickname for PS1. "
    a stupid one :P  plus that psx dvr thing that never took off
    Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Max_Cherry

Although it's not quite as good as the one and only Final Fantasy 7, it's up there. It pretty much trumps games like Crono Trigger, Crono Cross, FF:Tactics,RE,MGS,and FF4,5,6,8,9,10,11,12,13,14; I can't speak for FF1-3 because I've never played a significant amount of them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.