Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xenonauts

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Jun 16, 2014

A "strategic planetary defense simulation" in a cold war setting, inspired by the original X-Com.

This game is pretty much done.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#1  Edited By ArbitraryWater

If you're like me and barely remember that you backed things on Kickstarter two years ago, you might be as surprised as I am that the X-COM (as opposed to XCOM) inspired game Xenonauts is actually done. While the game apparently won't be officially released (i.e. taken off early access) for two weeks, it has reached version 1.0 and is essentially complete, any sort of quick fixes to bugs aside.

I've played it for like two hours and, hey, remember UFO Defense? It's like that, but somewhat modernized and set in 1979 instead of the far flung future of 1999. That's pretty much what I signed up for when I gave these guys my money back in 2012, but... in some way I'm not quite as enthusiastic about this idea as I once was. Maybe it has something to do with Enemy Unknown. Maybe it has something to do with this game also keeping some of the annoyances from old X-COM intact. Either way, if the idea of throwing disposable squaddies into the meat grinder before you get awesome laser weapons n' stuff appeals to you, this is a thing that you can pay money for!

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@arbitrarywater: So did you back this before the new xcom was announced or was that revealed later? Wonder how these indie developer s felt after a big studio brought it back before theirs was done.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 75

#3  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@wampa1 said:

@arbitrarywater: So did you back this before the new xcom was announced or was that revealed later? Wonder how these indie developer s felt after a big studio brought it back before theirs was done.

I think this was kickstarted when only the XCOM FPS had been announced, yeah (the turn based strategy XCOM game was announced a few months after the FPS, and the FPS obviously turned into the third person shooter The Bureau by the time it was actually released).

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@wampa1 said:

They might have already announced Enemy Unknown by the time this Kickstarter happened, iirc. If anything though, I think the presence of a new XCOM is nothing but good news for these guys, in case anyone wants to play a game that is a pretty good simulacrum of UFO Defense but doesn't want to deal with some of the antiquated stuff that original game has.

Having played a couple more hours, yep. It's totally still X-COM. Neat additions include riot shields that can take a hit or two (with a pistol in the other hand, naturally), stun grenades and rockets so you don't have to rely on batons, interrogating aliens increases damage dealt to them, etc.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.