Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xenosaga: Episode II - Jenseits von Gut und Böse

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Feb 15, 2005

Xenosaga Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und Böse expands on the story of Jr. and his relationship with his brothers Albedo and Gaignun. It also introduces Shion's brother, Jin Uzuki, as a playable character.

Who has played Xenosaga? Any good?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

I  am busy wrapping up my PS2 collection by picking up any good RPG I can find.  I joined the PS2 world late, but I am making up for lost time.

Yesterday I picked up a second hand copy of Xenosaga II.  It is the special edition with the DVD bonus.  The game looks pretty, but has anyone here played it and willing to share their thoughts?  I am keeping an eye out for the other 2 in the series.  

For that matter, I am happy to hear any other good RPG recommendations. 
     My collection is currently:
    Atelier Iris 2 & 3
    Baldur's Gate; Dark Alliance
    Bard's Tale
    Breath of Fire IV: Dragon Quarter
    Disgaea 2
    Dragon Quest VIII
    Drakengard
    Final Fantasy X - X2 - XII
    .hack//Infection
    Kingdom Hearts I & II
    Odin Sphere
    Valkyrie Profile 2
    Xenosaga II

E-bay and second stores await me and your opinions help.
    deltron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By deltron

Well, I have the first Xenosaga. The story wasn't that great to me so getting through the long cut scenes was at times annoying. If you dig grinding it out on an RPG it's worth your time.  It's a quality game but the story and characters were forgetable.

** Dragon Quest VIII kind of ruined PS2 RPG's for me. Metal Slimes should be in every game

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Xenosaga when compared to xenogears is shit quite literally its a pure and simple interactive movie you will literally have about 5-10 hours of gameplay the rest 20-30 hours is CGI cinemas.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had to quit Xenosaga the first few hours in. And this is from a guy who absolutely adored Xenogears even the second disc with all the static narration.
    What the hell is with Square disappointing me with all their franchises I loved the first installments of?
    Parasite Eve followed by Parasite Eve 2, Chrono Trigger followed by Chrono Cross and Secret Of Mana (I know technically it's Seiken Denetsu 2) followed by Legend Of Mana. Ugh

Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
    auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By auspiciousqueue

Tedious and convoluted  game. 

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By oldschool

Wow, I am not hearing any love here.   It reviewed okay.  Time will tell if I like it I guess.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Axersia

I've only played Xenosaga II and III and thought the latter was one of the best games the system has to offer while I gave up on the former after just a few hours of play. I don't like having to use trial-and-error to break through enemy defenses before I can actually start to do damage. The pacing also felt off to me because they turned every conversation in the game into a cinematic (and the majority of the game is spent watching these). I mean, is it really necessary to keep panning the camera when 2 people are talking? It didn't set the mood for me at all and was just annoying because I couldn't speed up the conversation.

The sequel was much better paced and uses simple dialogue boxes to present most of its story. Of course, they only did this because they suffered major losses from Xenosaga II and didn't have the funds anymore to put so many cinematics in the game (the series was actually supposed to last 6 episodes and have 2 spin-offs but got cut short because of this).

So yeah, I hated Xenosaga II, but for reasons very personal, so it's still very possible you'll like it.

As for recommendations... Well, you already have some of the best RPGs the system has to offer (like Dragon Quest VIII -- which pretty much the best RPG of all time IMO), so there isn't a whole lot I can recommend, but you definitely need to grab Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne if you prefer your RPGs to be a bit more old-school.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#8  Edited By LordAndrew
    Axersia said:
    "So yeah, I hated Xenosaga II, but for reasons very personal, so it's still very possible you'll like it."
    Most people disliked Episode II. I'm at the final boss in the first game, and I'm bummed out knowing that I'd have to play Episode II next. :(
    albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By albedos_shadow

Xenosaga is one of the best RPG series on the PS2 in my opinion, but I definitely wouldn't play them out of order. Plot is way too convoluted for that.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By oldschool
    albedos_shadow said:
    "Xenosaga is one of the best RPG series on the PS2 in my opinion, but I definitely wouldn't play them out of order. Plot is way too convoluted for that."
    Well, with all the games I have, I am sure I can hang off playing it until I locate the first game.
    Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Discorsi

It ain't no Xenogears but it is still pretty good.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

The Japanese are infamous for pissing all over previously successful RPG game genres.  Haven't you all noticed this trend yet?

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#13  Edited By gla55jAw

Check out Rogue Galaxy. I had a lot of fun with that. The weapon upgrade system was addicting.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By oldschool
    gla55jAw said:
    "Check out Rogue Galaxy. I had a lot of fun with that. The weapon upgrade system was addicting."
    I think thatis on the top of my list.  It is still available new, but the price is a little steep.  Lind_L_Taylor said:
    "The Japanese are infamous for pissing all over previously successful RPG game genres.  Haven't you all noticed this trend yet?
    "
    Might be that you are just jaded?  Fair enough if a game doesn't appeal, but it is not as if no-one complains if they just virtually repeat the previous game.  
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By zitosilva

I personally loved the trilogy. I thought the story was great, but the at the second chapter there really is a downfall. It's not terrible, but you can clearly see that something was wrong at the time of the game making. And it's nowhere bad enough to keep you from completing it, as long as you like this type of game. The third one is good againg, though my personal favourite is the first one.

The combat changes from game to game, and it's at its best at the third chapter. Also, the story does a pretty good job of closing up, so you don't have to worry about never finding out what happened. Overall I really like it and can recommend it.

And I don't see on your list neither Shadow Hearts or Shadow Hearts: Covenant. I can't recommend those games enough, you like the genre get them ASAP.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.