Inafune’s Zombie Game Actually New Ninja Gaiden

• 51 results
Posted by patrickklepek (4124 posts) -

In a surprising turn of events, Keiji Inafune’s zombie-filled Yaiba is actually a collaboration with Team Ninja and Western developer Spark Unlimited, and the real name is Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z.

The news was revealed at an event in Japan, as the annual Tokyo Game Show gets underway.

In Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z, players are not running around as Ryu Hayabusa. In fact, they want to kill him.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (4124 posts) -

In a surprising turn of events, Keiji Inafune’s zombie-filled Yaiba is actually a collaboration with Team Ninja and Western developer Spark Unlimited, and the real name is Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z.

The news was revealed at an event in Japan, as the annual Tokyo Game Show gets underway.

In Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z, players are not running around as Ryu Hayabusa. In fact, they want to kill him.

Staff
#2 Edited by Cyrisaurus (455 posts) -

Hopefully it's not just Ninja Gaiden with a different player model, I've never been a NG fan but this teaser trailer seems interesting.

Are zombies even part of the Ninja Gaiden universe?

#3 Posted by bemusedchunk (686 posts) -

Neat!

#4 Posted by Jeric (146 posts) -

Oh wow, so close. Anyway this is... Well, I've never been a Ninja Gaiden fan.

#5 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

What? So this was the game Team Ninja was talking about. Can't be worse than Ninja Gaiden 3. I like the idea of Ryu being some kinda end boss. I wonder what the story is like. Did Ryu wrong this dude in some fashion, how shall they make Ryu the villain.

#6 Posted by sixpin (1287 posts) -

I'll just echo the "not a fan of Ninja Gaiden" trend. Zombies seems like an odd stab at something to get people interested. I mean, zombies have kind of been done to death at this point, right?

#7 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

Would've liked for this to be in a new universe and not Ninja Gaiden. Oh well, probably wouldn't have played them again.

#8 Posted by ChosenOne (203 posts) -

As long there is no lame twist where you end up teaming up with Ryu instead.

#9 Posted by Brodehouse (9861 posts) -

Oh Spark Unlimited. So you know it's good.

#10 Posted by Hailinel (24398 posts) -
@ImmortalSaiyan

What? So this was the game Team Ninja was talking about. Can't be worse than Ninja Gaiden 3. I like the idea of Ryu being some kinda end boss. I wonder what the story is like. Did Ryu wrong this dude in some fashion, how shall they make Ryu the villain.

Ryu apparently killed Yaiba, and now Zombie Ninja Yaiba is seeking revenge.
#11 Posted by JackSukeru (5910 posts) -

Are we talking Z like in "zed", Z like in "zee" or Z like in "zetto"?

#12 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2291 posts) -

Wow, Spark Unlimited? They are really getting involved in some huge projects.

I rather enjoyed parts of Legendary and though it had potential if it wasn't for a stupid publisher

#13 Posted by AsKo25 (59 posts) -

their website says it's coming to PC, so there's that

#14 Posted by LarryDavis (937 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Can't be worse than Ninja Gaiden 3.

This is entirely true. I absolutely don't think it's humanly possible to make a worse NG game than NG3. Holy moley what unadulterated trash.

#15 Posted by KlUMZeE (318 posts) -

Sounds cool, I think that Inafune could bring a new twist to the Ninja Gaiden franchise.

#16 Posted by Goldanas (546 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook said:

Wow, Spark Unlimited? They are really getting involved in some huge projects.

This was my first thought. I saw them hiring up like crazy like a year and a half ago, but I didn't think they were actually working on this kind of stuff.

They must have gone out and said that they'd help do the brunt of development for dirt-cheap.

#17 Posted by JackSukeru (5910 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@ImmortalSaiyan

Ryu apparently killed Yaiba, and now Zombie Ninja Yaiba is seeking revenge.

Meanwhile, to Ryu it was Tuesday.

#18 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10898 posts) -

Cool.

#19 Posted by paulunga (1992 posts) -

Wow. I totally tuned out with Ninja Gaiden 2 and 3 but as a fan of the (Xbox) original + anything INAFKING touches I'm really interested in this.

#20 Posted by Yadilie (380 posts) -

@RockmanBionics: It's Japan so obviously Zetto.

#21 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

It looks good. I really dig the style.

#22 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

I dig the style.

#23 Posted by iAmJohn (6117 posts) -

Infaune making a Ninja Gaiden spin-off co-developed by Spark Unlimited. I think my brain just melted.

#24 Posted by Mr_Scumbag (44 posts) -

Sick to death of zombies, to be honest. Developers need to get creative and come up with something else.

#25 Posted by NTM (7337 posts) -

@msavo said:

I dig the style.

@buzz_killington said:

I really dig the style.

Eh.

#26 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Well, this could be potentially awesome.

#27 Posted by whatisdelicious (1213 posts) -

@Mr_Scumbag said:

Sick to death of zombies, to be honest. Developers need to get creative and come up with something else.

Yep. Totally agree.

#28 Posted by gyozilla (54 posts) -

Can the next twist be actually playing as all the zombie clan ninjas that hunt Yaiba hunting Ryu?

#29 Posted by fox01313 (5069 posts) -

Wonder if the next game will be something where you are a zombie hunting ninjas. After the last Gaiden game, think I'll pass.

#30 Posted by Miketorreza (125 posts) -

Branding.

#31 Posted by VicRattlehead (1398 posts) -

Spark Unlimited

wah wah wah

#32 Posted by ghostNPC (774 posts) -

Zombies.

:(

#33 Posted by jakob187 (21663 posts) -

Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait...

Did you seriously just say that Keiji Inafune is working with...Spark Unlimited...

...on a new Ninja Gaiden spin-off?

Fuck me running sideways. I hope this is a train wreck.

#34 Posted by PoisonJam7 (346 posts) -

@Cyrisaurus: Yes, they are. There are even zombie dragons! One of my favorite levels from the original Xbox NG was the Underground Cemetery, where there were ample zombies; including a room where they spawn endlessly while you fill a chalice with their blood. Oh, and the zombies are blind too. Clearly these aren't the same zombies though.

And to echo what others have been saying, I like the style of this game too. Not too sure on the "comcept" though. (See what I did there?)

#35 Posted by Maitimo (200 posts) -

It feels like Inafune is attached to a lot of projects these days. You have to wonder just how involved he actually is in each of them.

#36 Posted by WarlordPayne (700 posts) -

Maybe this'll finally be a Ninja Gaiden I can stand, I fucking hate the other three.

#37 Posted by SatelliteOfLove (1369 posts) -
@Mr_Scumbag said:

It's dullard fare now sadly.
#38 Posted by Abendlaender (2785 posts) -

If the subtitle of the game is "The dead will die again" I'm in. It's so stupid, I love it. Also, it's the truth

#39 Posted by Sifighter (3 posts) -

Wow, someone has some faith in Spark To give them the run on Capcoms Lost Planet 3 and A new Team Ninja game. What games have these guys made

#40 Posted by Springfart (311 posts) -

love the style, but ugh more zombies

#41 Posted by AjayRaz (12424 posts) -

Team Ninja.. Inafune and... Spark..? weird. it looks alright but killing more zombies doesn't sound very appealing

#42 Edited by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka (432 posts) -

@Sifighter: It is indeed baffling as to why Capcom- and now Inafune and Team Ninja have put so much faith in Spark lately, given their track record: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark_Unlimited

Read that list and react accordingly. :P

Their latest game was Legendary. So... I suppose Capcom and the others might have been impressed by their Werewolf AI? (Cause the Werewolf AI in Legendary was its best asset arguably from what I've seen)

Cause other than that- your guess is as good as mine. o_o

That said- I will be keeping an eye on this, just as I have been keeping an eye on Lost Planet 3. I.E: Probably not for the right reasons. :P

#43 Posted by BoOzak (906 posts) -

So it's a Ninja Sidestory, sidestory? Um, great, I guess?

Given what Ninja Gaiden 3 ended up being i'm highly skeptical of this. And Spark? fuck...

#44 Posted by Tesla (1918 posts) -

What!?

My interest level just went up a few notches. Which is neat, because it was at 0.

#45 Posted by teh_destroyer (3566 posts) -

@NTM said:

@msavo said:

I dig the style.

@buzz_killington said:

I really dig the style.

Eh.

I triple dig this style, just use your imagination.

#46 Posted by dvorak (1496 posts) -

On board, whatever, let's do this.

#47 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

Love the art style.

#48 Posted by Rox360 (1056 posts) -

Wait, zombies Ninja Gaiden Kenji Inafune what the heck is going on?? I don't know if I'm supposed to be genuinely hopeful or more cynical than ever before! Help me, the Internet!

#49 Posted by probablytuna (3612 posts) -

So, Ninja Gaiden: Gaiden?

#50 Posted by Soniku (36 posts) -

It should've been a game about zombies trying to kill Ryo Hazuki instead.

The zombies would be all "Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiooooooooooooooo"...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.