Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Yakuza 3

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 26, 2009

Sega's Yakuza series moves to the PlayStation 3 for its third installment, bringing all the comically brutal beat-em-up gameplay, Japanese RPG storytelling and various mini-games with it.

Are you still getting the game now it's cut?

exfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By exfate

Curious where other GB Yakuza fans stand on this game now. Are you still getting it after the extensive cuts to the US/UK/Europe versions?

Would you have paid a premium for the game if Sega had taken longer with the localization? (by all accounts this time 4 months ago there were no plans to localize it at all)

Discuss!

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

It sucks big dick that SEGA is cutting content.  I really didn't plan on buying this game in the first place, but SEGA shouldn't cut content to get a game released early.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#3  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I can't really blame them for cutting the hostess content.  And honestly, cutting quizzes on Japan seems pretty artificial.  I played the demo, and the game seems fun if unspectacular.  I'll be picking it up eventually.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Of course.  I don't care about the hostess club or the Japanese Quiz Show.

Avatar image for sandwich_adjustment
    sandwich_adjustment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

as an outsider i would think the types of westerners who are waiting for yakuza 3 would want even the japanese trivia quizzes. Personally I would prefer that they stay in there so I can get a taste of the japanese yakuza3 players' experience and think how odd the japanese are :D or on the flipside find out that I want to visit a hostess club.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Brendan

"Extensive" cuts?  C'mon people, the hostess club thing is a lame choice for cutting, but they're not taking that much out of the game.  Take a few deep breaths.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Ineedaname

God dammit, you're telling me I can't do the Japanese quiz in a game I wasn't going to buy?

Fuck sake.

But seriously, from what I've heard the game doesn't sound like it's lost much.

apoc_reg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By apoc_reg

Are you still getting the game now it's cut?  

Hell yeah
    benraff0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By benraff0

No I am not. 
            I was excited to buy this game. But I cannot support cutting content for international releases. It really sickens me.
    I have felt very angry about this all week.

I will definitely NOT BUY THIS GAME ANYMORE

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Venatio

Taking stuff out sucks ALOT but I'm still getting the game sometime, not for awhile but a game like that should get cheap fast

Avatar image for equal_opportunity_destroyer497
    Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I still want it but I'm terribly disappointed in Sega. I'll definitely pick it up eventually, but only when the price comes down. I imagine it'll go down sooner rather than later considering that Sega has basically set it up for total failure. Beside that, paying full price for what everyone knows to be an incomplete game doesn't sit too well with me.

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Fbomb

Already bought it. Anyone that's waiting is crazy... it's a limited release. It won't be there when you're ready to go pick it up.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Genkkaku

I just got home with my copy (didn't even know it came out till i got to the store).. and then i found out about the cuts.. But i'll still hang on to it

i don't get the cuts tho, because i know I'm buying the game because of the Japanese culture.. cutting the Japanese out of a Japanese game just sounds kinda silly

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Castro

The Japanese quiz thingie is totally understandable, but cutting the hostess club portions is pretty lame. It seems to me like there will probably still be a great deal of stuff to do in the game anyway so it's not a big deal at all.

I would suggest looking on the bright side. The bright side being that it seemed at one point that it was highly unlikely that we would be getting this game at all. If everyone goes out and purchases it, maybe they'll release the fourth one here too!

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15  Edited By Cube

What the fuck is the hostess club thing anyways?

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By killroycantkill

Already bought it.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#17  Edited By LordAndrew

Games still get content cut?

BraveFart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BraveFart

hey im getting it in the mail tomorrow :D

RedBullRacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By RedBullRacer

I am gutted they cut stuff, the reason I love this game so much is cos of it's Japanese crazyness, so I really wish they included the hostess bars, would have been cool, but it doesn't really matter, you never know... they might add it as dlc, I'm just happy to be able to play it!

Bandit_Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bandit_Fox
    @Cube: Hostess clubs are bars in Japan where, after entering and buying a drink, Japanese women come over to the patrons and talk to them. They aren't prostitutes or anything like that, they just come and talk to the patrons. Maybe they a hand on the patron's shoulder or hold hands or just kinda... touch them. The patrons pay an hourly rate plus an increased cost on their drinks.

I never when to one went I lived in Japan, but I heard of a few people who got stuck with huge bills because they didn't know what the hostess bar was AND they thought they were getting places with "this super hot Japanese chick". After some people explained the practice to me, I stayed away. It's kinda weird and probably not a huge loss.
    RedBullRacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RedBullRacer

So basically, SEGA just saved us a load of in game cash! Sorted :) 

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By Fallen189

Idiots are using it an excuse not to buy it. Holy shit, I can't have a digitized woman hold my hand in a bar!

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sixpin

Hostess clubs were not the only cuts made. The triva is not a huge deal, but there is a missing Majong mini game and about 15 or so quests have been removed. Sega has said that it was basically a limitation of time and money in translating the game. Welcome back to the 1990s I suppose. 

That said, I still bought it. The story is really good and if you dig Japanese culture you'd be hard pressed to find a better game for that purpose.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By get2sammyb

Yep, my copy arrived this morning. Looking forward to playing it.

RedBullRacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RedBullRacer

But does it really matter? I mean, this game is bloody huge ... it's not as if your not gonna have anything to do! I can't see why you wouldn't buy a game just cos they took something out, yes I want it in, but by not buying it your only stopping the chance of Yakuza 4 coming out over here! And like I said, if we all buy it they might even add the missing stuff as DLC!

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Nasar7

Eventually, yes, will wait for a price drop.

Bandit_Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bandit_Fox

I gotta say, I played the demo and it took me back to walking around downtown in a Japanese city. It wasn't on my radar at all, but I'm sufficiently intrigued. The demo reminds me of Shenmu, but with WAY better fighting and quicktime events.

Cynical_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Cynical_Gamer
    @Castro said:

" The Japanese quiz thingie is totally understandable, but cutting the hostess club portions is pretty lame. It seems to me like there will probably still be a great deal of stuff to do in the game anyway so it's not a big deal at all.  I would suggest looking on the bright side. The bright side being that it seemed at one point that it was highly unlikely that we would be getting this game at all. If everyone goes out and purchases it, maybe they'll release the fourth one here too! "

Agreed. Maybe with Yakuza 4 they'll listen to fan's backlash and not cut content.  I really appreciate them not dubbing the game in English like they did the first one. I wish more Japanese games were subtitled.
    Maxx2029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By Maxx2029

My hate for cutting content is dwarfed by my willingness to support SEGA for getting Yakuza 3 out in Europe and US. I want Yakuza 3 to sell enough (even with all the boycotts) so SEGA will release the future Yakuza games in Europe and US too.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By s-a-n-JR

This would have made a better poll... 

But my answer is maybe.
    yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By yakov456

If anyone doesn't buy this just because of the small cuts, then I feel sorry for you. You are missing out on a great game. I played the second one and I don't miss a god damn thing from this new one. Shogi was confusing, mah johng wah? And the hostess clubs, sucked at them anyway. There is still gambling games you can have fun with that are hardcore japanese. But this story, this experience is way too good to pass up because of some small cuts. Get it you bastards. The more I play it, the more this one really feels Shenmue like.

RedBullRacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RedBullRacer

I've played the game for just over 12hrs this weekend and am only 10% in, this game is bloody huge! You walk down the street on your way to a mission and so many sidequests unlock all the time, it's so good. I'm really loving it, I wouldn't worry about the stuff that got taken out there is so much packed in here you will not miss whatever they left out!

RedBullRacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RedBullRacer

What are the chances of the cut content being released as DLC? I've been watching videos of them on youtube and it seems very very text heavy, so I'm guessing they didn't have time to translate all the text. Do you think they will do it as DLC, and do you think the system will even allow for it to be added as dlc? 

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#34  Edited By m1k3

Best thing for people to do is not boycott Yakuza 3 and not buy it just because of cut content. Complain to Sega about the cut content and still buy the game. it will "hopefully" show SEGA how to handle Yakuza 4 if it comes over.

Jeffmoocow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jeffmoocow

I never did much with the hostess stuff in the last 2 games (besides running a hostess club and then being a host yourself in the 2nd game) so it isn't a huge deal breaker for me but one thing I would just love to ask Sega is why keep the hostess clubs in the first 2 games and then come out of nowhere and say it doesn't make sense to have them now in the 3rd game.

RoujinX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RoujinX

Heck yes.
    RedBullRacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By RedBullRacer

I think it's pretty obvious it wasn't cos "we wouldn't get it" it was cos they couldn't be bothered :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.