Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Yakuza 3

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 26, 2009

Sega's Yakuza series moves to the PlayStation 3 for its third installment, bringing all the comically brutal beat-em-up gameplay, Japanese RPG storytelling and various mini-games with it.

Is Yakuza 3 a good starting point?

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Phatmac

I've decided to finally start playing the Yakuza games. I'm wondering where I should start. Is 3 a good way to or should I just play 4 instead?

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By BlackLagoon

I've only played 4, and enjoyed it. It introduces 3 new protagonists, so it's easy to get into without having to read too much up on the previous games.

Avatar image for zombiesatemycereal
    zombiesatemycereal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Starting with 4 is fine, it gives you a ton of the backstory in cutscene form.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By musubi

@Phatmac: Well I'd say this. You can easily start at Yakuza 4 if you want. One of the neat things the Yakuza games have are mini-movies giving you synopsis of each game in the series. Yakuza 4 has one for the first three games and it is the better of the games. That being said they only really cover the large sweeping plot points so many of the character building moments are lost in that context. You could play 4 and have a entire understanding of what is going on in the world however some of the events in Yakuza 4 carry more weight to them if you have a personal emotional investment from the previous game. So really, ball is in your court its all a matter of how much time you are willing to invest. I myself really enjoyed Yakuza 3 and even though they stripped out some of the side content it is still a totally worthwhile game in the franchise.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By MetalBaofu

I really liked 3 and 4, so I would suggest playing both of them, but you'd be fine either way I guess.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#6  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

If you aren't going to start from the beginning start with 4. 3 is easily the worst game in the series, both gameplay and story-wise. I'd suggest just starting with 1 and working your way through the entire series, but 1's combat is kind of clunky and that can turn some people off.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

All Yakuza games have a "Story so far" option which pretty much shows all the cutscenes from the previous games. I'd say start with 4 since content wasn't cut from this copy and watch the stories from the previous 3 to understand what is going on. If you enjoy the series then move on to 5 which should be coming out this spring, and if you want to continue forward grab the previous 3, and possibly the Spinoff games.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Phatmac

Guess I'll start with 4 then. Thanks guys.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By musubi

@I_Stay_Puft: Is a North American release of Yakuza 5 confirmed yet?

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rjayb89

I would have to imagine that 3's gameplay would get pretty stale having one protagonist throughout the game, but I don't know as I haven't played it. 4 has... four dudes you can switch between and all four had some pretty interesting stories to go along with each of them, as well as given choice moves that help differentiate between them. I started with 4 and can't wait until the fifth one comes out, multiple characters be damned (I haven't been keeping up with what's going on with that game, I do know about Haruka being among the playable characters).

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@Demoskinos said:

@I_Stay_Puft: Is a North American release of Yakuza 5 confirmed yet?

Oh thought it was cause of how over the past few years they kinda been releasing the last three around the same time, nothing confirmed so probably not.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.