Yakuza 4 Heading To America Next Year

Posted by MattBodega (1907 posts) -

Sega is just asking for this photo to be added to the Giant Bomb staff Photoshop thread.
Hot on the heels of the fan-demanded translation and release of Yakuza 3 outside of Japan, Sega has announced that the latest installment in the franchise will also be making its way to America and Europe. Yakuza 4, released in Japan this past March, will be translated and released in the West on the Playstation 3 this coming Spring.

The announcement must come as a pleasant surprise to Yakuza fans. The franchise, while beloved and successful in Japan, never caught on outside of a devoted following in the in the West. Yakuza 3 was released in Japan back in 2009, and it took a vocal fan campaign to convince Sega to release the game stateside. I guess that, for all of the negative reactions towards Sega's decision to cut content from the game, Yakuza 3 still performed well enough at retail to merit the translation of this new game. 

According to the press release Yakuza 4 would allow players to step into the back tattoos of not only series protagonist Kiryu Kazuma, but three new Japanese mobsters as well. Four playable characters in Yakuza 4. Corner offices for everyone in marketing. You've earned it.

Sega has released the first batch of screenshots from their Tokyo brawler: 

If you don't show your back tattoo, you're gonna get punched. 

So, Yakuza die-hards, how would you like to see SEGA handle this release, especially in the wake of the Yakuza 3 cuts? And, for those users who have never take the plunge into the seedy underbelly of Japan, what would you like to see from Yakuza 4? Personally, I want more back tattoos and karaoke. But I say that about every game.
#1 Posted by MattBodega (1907 posts) -

Sega is just asking for this photo to be added to the Giant Bomb staff Photoshop thread.
Hot on the heels of the fan-demanded translation and release of Yakuza 3 outside of Japan, Sega has announced that the latest installment in the franchise will also be making its way to America and Europe. Yakuza 4, released in Japan this past March, will be translated and released in the West on the Playstation 3 this coming Spring.

The announcement must come as a pleasant surprise to Yakuza fans. The franchise, while beloved and successful in Japan, never caught on outside of a devoted following in the in the West. Yakuza 3 was released in Japan back in 2009, and it took a vocal fan campaign to convince Sega to release the game stateside. I guess that, for all of the negative reactions towards Sega's decision to cut content from the game, Yakuza 3 still performed well enough at retail to merit the translation of this new game. 

According to the press release Yakuza 4 would allow players to step into the back tattoos of not only series protagonist Kiryu Kazuma, but three new Japanese mobsters as well. Four playable characters in Yakuza 4. Corner offices for everyone in marketing. You've earned it.

Sega has released the first batch of screenshots from their Tokyo brawler: 

If you don't show your back tattoo, you're gonna get punched. 

So, Yakuza die-hards, how would you like to see SEGA handle this release, especially in the wake of the Yakuza 3 cuts? And, for those users who have never take the plunge into the seedy underbelly of Japan, what would you like to see from Yakuza 4? Personally, I want more back tattoos and karaoke. But I say that about every game.
#2 Edited by skrutop (3615 posts) -

Yes!  I love Yakuza games!  Now let's hope that they don't cut anything this time.  This is the land of GTA; we can handle whatever you throw at us.

#3 Posted by Tuggah (1073 posts) -

These games will always be over my head.

#4 Posted by GradiusCat (23 posts) -

I find my self singing at video games all the time

#5 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4985 posts) -

I have enjoyed 1 2 and 3 so hopefully they can spend the translation time on 4 to not cut out content.  

Maybe sometime they can release Yakuza Kenzan as well.

#6 Posted by Wildfire570 (719 posts) -

Please Giant Bomb members photoshop that picture of the poster!

#7 Posted by Turtlemayor333 (510 posts) -

Extended demos with your purchase of a George Foreman grill.

#8 Posted by XenoNick (1481 posts) -

AAWSOME!!!!!

#9 Posted by mosdl (3259 posts) -
@skrutop said:
" Yes!  I love Yakuza games!  Now let's hope that they don't cut anything this time.  This is the land of GTA; we can handle whatever you throw at us. "
Or they look at the success of 3 and say that cutting out stuff helped...
#10 Posted by Yummylee (22538 posts) -

Hmm...I'd probably rather just wait for this instead of buying Yakuza 3, thinking about it

#11 Posted by nick69 (625 posts) -

will photoshop.

#12 Posted by 49th (2844 posts) -

I didn't really like the demo for  Yakuza 3 so I probably won't like this much either.

#13 Edited by Deiterbomber (64 posts) -
@Abyssfull: I wouldn't. The story, although pretty unique for each installment, is a pretty full experience. I played Y3 and really wished I had played 1 and 2, not because I was really missing anything important, but I wanted to see where Kazuma's character was coming from origin-wise.
#14 Posted by Binman88 (3690 posts) -

#15 Posted by NeoGamer (158 posts) -

I loved Yakuza 2, but didn't buy the third one because of the nonsense cuts. I would buy Yakuza 4 if they keep the content intact, but don'I t know how much the stories are connected with Y3.

#16 Posted by Killroycantkill (1423 posts) -

YES! I just hope they don't cut out the hostest clubs again, the weird Japanese gameshow quiz thing was fine. But the managing the hostest club was the best mini game/side quest in Yakuza 2.

#17 Posted by Goldanas (550 posts) -

You probably won't need to worry about anything being cut. Bringing Yakuza 3 over here was a last minute decision and Sega of America was in a rush to release the game here before the fourth one launched in Japan, and they only barely made it. The game was no worse without the hostess clubs, personally, that's a part of Japan I could do without, but the mahjong  was sorely missed.

No worries.

#18 Posted by karubah (45 posts) -

Yes! I am so ready for this game to come out.

Maybe the Giantbomb crew could do an endurance run of Yakuza 3 in the mean time. :D

#19 Posted by MattBodega (1907 posts) -
@Binman88: You're doing the lord's work. Keep it up.
#20 Posted by vidiot (2737 posts) -
I liked this game Yakuza 3.

The inevitable news of Yakuza 4 getting a western release excites me. 
Something this article misses is that spring 2011 is the release time-frame. Why is this important you may ask? When Yakuza 3 had a western release announced mere-months prior to it's release. There were many excuses for the cuts given, but one in particular that seemed semi-plausible, was that they didn't have enough time. Looking at the haphazard nature of the Yakuza 3 cuts, this extended time-frame gives me hope.
#21 Posted by Milkman (17312 posts) -
@Binman88: Good start. But I think we can do better.
#22 Posted by Dudacles (1462 posts) -

Europe? Europe? Europe!

#23 Posted by xyzygy (10077 posts) -

I might check out this one, I played the demo for 3 and I hated it. But who knows what other games will be available when this game actually does come out next year.

#24 Posted by dvorak (1497 posts) -

I was worried it wouldn't cross to the US, but the completionist in me is sated now. If we could only get that samurai spin-off too.

#25 Posted by nick69 (625 posts) -

#26 Posted by MrCellophane (524 posts) -
@nick69: Seriously lol'd at Brad and Vinny
#27 Posted by raikoh05 (421 posts) -
@dvorak said:
" I was worried it wouldn't cross to the US, but the completionist in me is sated now. If we could only get that samurai spin-off too. "
ryu ga gotoku kenzan? I doubt it
#28 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

New playable characters?
fuck yes sold!!!

#29 Posted by raikoh05 (421 posts) -
@nick69 said:
"
"
awesome
#30 Posted by D_O_A (77 posts) -

Love the Yakuza series!  just don't cut shit out Sega!

#31 Posted by TheChaos (1138 posts) -
@nick69 said:
"
"
The best.
#32 Posted by Coltonio7 (3156 posts) -

Why would I not play as Kazuma?

#33 Posted by jos1ah (325 posts) -

If Sony didn't pull backwards compatibility I'd probably go back and play through this series including 3 and 4. I don't have a PS2. Hope you're readin this Sony. When Yakuza 4 sells one less copy remember it was all your fault

#34 Posted by aurahack (2289 posts) -

Here's hoping Sega understood that cutting content because of "the audience not understanding it" is a mistake they won't do again. 

That being said, wayyy excited for this. Yakuza 3 was brilliant.

#35 Posted by vinsanity09 (212 posts) -

Yes.

#36 Posted by Killajade (4 posts) -

All i want is Rie Kugimiya's voice in a character whose body fits the voice(Haruka fitted almost as well as Rise did in p4...), oh and some Hatsune Miku would be nice aswell seeing as its Sega behind it after all and with project diva 2 coming up this summer.

#37 Posted by Xeiphyer (5611 posts) -

I just hope the new playable characters is a good thing, because it seems like a bad thing to me :(

Also: MOAR BLOGGING!

#38 Posted by paulunga (2125 posts) -

First batch of screenshots? The game's been out for 3 months!

I really hope they''ve learned their lesson and are not cutting out the hostess bar stuff this time around. Well, I'm not even sure if there are hostess bars in Yakuza 4  but I can't imagine Sega leaving a fairly popular part of the game out of this one.

#39 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

Yakuza 3 was my first exposure to the series and I kind of liked it so I might pick up 4.

#40 Posted by Piranesi (452 posts) -

Less orphans this time please. Whiney little brats were living on a beach and still complaining.
#41 Posted by DystopiaX (5360 posts) -

Rented 3 over the weekend, I was really surprised at how much I like it. The pacing and random sidequests really grabbed me for some reason. I think an uncut version makes the most sense, since they're not appealing to a mass market anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.