Am I the only one?

• 61 results
#51 Posted by dropabombonit (1484 posts) -

I'm a hardcore Yakuza fan I'm going to wait for a price reduction because the reviews don't make it seem great

#52 Edited by Yummylee (21251 posts) -

@Creamypies said:

Why should this game get peoples attention? It's getting less than mediocre reviews, and it blatantly rips off other zombie games. Even the enemy design isn't original.

It's a pretty bad game, even if some of the dialogue is well written and funny. I guess it's because of how a lot of people are very apologetic towards Yakuza games regardless of the quality, for the sake of it being ''crazy Japanese and obscure in the West'' or what have you.

I still consider myself a fan of the series, but with this being yet another rehash of Yakuza 3 just with some underwhelming and frustrating shooting over the melee combat, I can't stand aside and say this game deserves to have its 'quirks' looked past to help appreciate the diamond in the rough. A 2 star game through and through.

#53 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

This is easily my favorite Yakuza.

#54 Posted by M_Shini (550 posts) -

I didn't buy Dead souls but i did recently get a copy of Yazuka 4, which may or may not lead onto a purchase of dead souls so we will see!

#55 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

@Abyssfull: Agreed, but conversely I think others write it off precisely for those reasons. They tried to position it in the West with the first game, but it didn't work (not that the spotty voice work helped much), its found its niche now. I don't think many are willing to forgive bad gameplay, and in that regard its always been strong, the melee combat has always been solid and these are games which are content rich. I just think the inconsistent presentation is its biggest flaw, the transition between animated cut-scenes and the canned dialogue can be jarring for newcomers. By all accounts they are going overhaul things with Yakuza 5, so we'll see where they go from here.

It's probably a 3/5 for me, I almost knocked a mark off for the credits referencing Kenzan though! That's a low blow...

#56 Posted by Yummylee (21251 posts) -

@WatanabeKazuma said:

@Abyssfull: By all accounts they are going overhaul things with Yakuza 5, so we'll see where they go from here.

That is the best news. Because I loved Yakuza 3, and with Yakuza 4 the faults were starting to become more pronounced (like you said, cutscenes randomly switching between cutscenes and dry text delivery with recycled stock animations), but I enjoyed it a great deal all the same. By Dead Souls, though, with the exact same adventure elements copy/pasted for the third time running and the dreadful presentation of all the sub stories, it's run it's course for me. What is ironic, is that Dead Souls actually made some minor incremental improvements; like being able to skip the introductory drinking/smoking stuff with the hostesses, and when the cutscenes did switch to text, there was often dialogue to go along with it. Though given that it's Japanese of course, it didn't exactly improve things a great deal. But the effort was appreciative.

I hope that with this overhaul they can finally lay Kiryu to rest and let the man run his damn orphanage in peace. Shun Akiyama surely must be in the running to lead the franchise on from here I hope, and better yet Majima deserves to get some more playable appearances down the line! He is such a great character and was the one defining bright spot in Dead Souls for me. I just hated the fact that I was also stuck with the extremely subpar shooting instead of being able to turn into a twister and smash fools faces in.

#57 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

@Abyssfull said:

@WatanabeKazuma said:

@Abyssfull: By all accounts they are going overhaul things with Yakuza 5, so we'll see where they go from here.

I hope that with this overhaul they can finally lay Kiryu to rest and let the man run his damn orphanage in peace. Shun Akiyama surely must be in the running to lead the franchise on from here I hope

I got the impression with 4 that Akiyama was being positioned as the heir apparent to the franchise, which made his status in this all the more baffling to me.

In the terms of the narrative, his role makes perfect sense to be a magnet for the sort of crazy shenanigans that this series is known for too, whilst also having scope to not be entirely embroiled in the Yakuza politics (as much as I love that aspect). The last two games have had a sense of closure to them, but they do love Kiryu a whole bunch though; I'm not entirely convinced they are willing to let him go just yet.

#58 Edited by cannonballBAM (591 posts) -

@Fahrenheit said:

Did no one else pick this up? The guy at EB said I was the only one to buy a copy :'( this is what keeps this type of games from being translated guys.

I feel your pain buddy, I get the same gist every time I pick up a game there. I got the same rant when I bought Binary Domain, Asura's Wrath and Ninja Gaiden 3. Surprisingly, they were also quick to offer me a Call of Duty Black Ops 2 pre order (*face palm*).

#59 Posted by cannonballBAM (591 posts) -

@TentPole said:

This is easily my favorite Yakuza.

I feel the same way, it is honestly a tie between Dead Souls and 2. The voice acted sub stories are a nice addition instead of just scrolling through text silently.

#60 Posted by procrasturbate (277 posts) -

Want to get on it but feel that i'm better off playing yakuza 3 first as i've never touched any game in the series yet.

#61 Edited by zyn (2591 posts) -

Got my copy!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.