Is anyone else playing this game?

#1 Posted by MethodMan008 (810 posts) -

So... I saw Gamestop was having it's +50% trade in deal so I figured I'd go pick up a game I wanted...

It was between Street Fighter X Tekken, Syndicate, and Yakuza: Dark Souls.

I had to go with Yakuza. I thought three was fantastic, and four was a beautiful experience...

Seeing most (hopefully all) of the cast from four returning to this game made it a must buy for me.

I'm only about an hour in so far, and I think the camera control is a bit swimmy, but I'm sure I'll get used to it soon...

So other duders playing this game? Enjoying it?

#2 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4973 posts) -

I bought the game but I will have to wait till May to go back home and play it. Really excited.

#3 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

I love it.

Controls are wonky but once you get use to them they are at the very least functional.

#4 Posted by Shirogane (3575 posts) -

QL describes it quite well, that it's basically the halloween special of Yakuza. It's not quite as good or full of content as the previous games, and considerably shorter too. Still a somewhat enjoyable experience, just not as good as the other games. Also, do not play this as your first Yakuza game, you'll get almost no enjoyment out of that.

#5 Posted by redlitez76 (107 posts) -

i freaking love this crazy ass game!

#6 Posted by senorfuzzeh (385 posts) -

I love the Yakuza games, and I generally enjoy zombies. I'll probably pick it up eventually.

#7 Posted by cannonballBAM (602 posts) -

The game feels like a mash up between the Yakuza universe and Dead Rising 1 combat controls. The left stick aiming was a major hinder at first but I hate to say that I just got used to it. I love it, I am currently still cleaning up in Premium Adventure before starting a New Game plus. I have almost reached the 50 hour mark and 77% completion.

#8 Posted by Demoskinos (14842 posts) -

Tempted.... its down to $44 on Amazon right now. But I've got so much other junk on my plate right now I'll wait a bit more before I buy it.

#9 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -
#10 Posted by Demoskinos (14842 posts) -

@Morrow: Yeah, but after paying shipping overseas I'd be prob paying about the same thing anyways.

#11 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

@Demoskinos: Oh. Shipping to Germany is only 5 bucks though...

#12 Posted by Demoskinos (14842 posts) -

@Morrow: Well that makes sense but overseas shipping usually costs a whole heck of a lot more. Thanks for the suggestion though. Appreciated! =)

#13 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

@Demoskinos: Depends on where you get it. It's £20 on Zavvi, and international deliveries are like £1 per order. Comes out less than $35.

#14 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@Demoskinos: I cannot recommend this game enough. Once you get use to the controls it feels like an actually decent 3D contra game.

#15 Posted by Yummylee (21673 posts) -

@TentPole said:

@Demoskinos: I cannot recommend this game enough. Once you get use to the controls it feels like an actually decent 3D contra game.

I am on the absolute opposite end; I can't stress enough for people to steer clear! Seriously, if people want it solely for all of the 'Japanese' and minigames and stuff, just get Yakuza 3 or 4 instead. Otherwise I really don't understand what there's to like in this, let alone 'love it' as you said above. Playing as Majima was great--or rather reading his dialogue and reactions was; not like he plays any differently over the other three characters--but it doesn't get in the way of the awful (bad fucking terrible--GODDAMN) shooting and highly repetitive everything.

#16 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

@Yummylee:

Hmmm, I like the shooting, it was easy - perfect for people who usually suck at shooters due to bad accuracy, like me. I'd say it's a game with shooting combat for people who don't like shooters :D

#17 Posted by cannonballBAM (602 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@TentPole said:

I am on the absolute opposite end; I can't stress enough for people to steer clear! Seriously, if people want it solely for all of the 'Japanese' and minigames and stuff, just get Yakuza 3 or 4 instead. Otherwise I really don't understand what there's to like in this, let alone 'love it' as you said above. Playing as Majima was great--or rather reading his dialogue and reactions was; not like he plays any differently over the other three characters--but it doesn't get in the way of the awful (bad fucking terrible--GODDAMN) shooting and highly repetitive everything.

Wait, aren't all shooting games repetitive?

#18 Posted by Yummylee (21673 posts) -

@cannonballBAM said:

@Yummylee said:

@TentPole said:

What? Wtf... is this? Are you high? Are you trolling me? You're trolling me aren't you. Yeaaaah, he's definitely trolling me.

#19 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@cannonballBAM said:

@Yummylee said:

@TentPole said:

What? Wtf... is this? Are you high? Are you trolling me? You're trolling me aren't you. Yeaaaah, he's definitely trolling me.

This one is less repetitive than most.

#20 Posted by Yummylee (21673 posts) -

@TentPole said:

@Yummylee said:

@cannonballBAM said:

@Yummylee said:

@TentPole said:

What does that even mean?! Shooters by nature are generally pretty short anyway, usually defeating the notion that they are always repetitive or... whatever the fuck; Dead Souls stretches the same shitty shooting across around 20-30 hours primarily facing the exact same enemies over and over again, or maybe 5-6 if you solely stick to the story. And it doesn't matter whether it's repetitive or not because the shooting is just so bad to begin with. But it is also in fact highly repetitive as well just to add to things.

#21 Posted by cannonballBAM (602 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@TentPole said:

@Yummylee said:

@cannonballBAM said:

@Yummylee said:

@TentPole said:

What does that even mean?! Shooters by nature are generally pretty short anyway, usually defeating the notion that they are always repetitive or... whatever the fuck; Dead Souls stretches the same shitty shooting across around 20-30 hours primarily facing the exact same enemies over and over again, or maybe 5-6 if you solely stick to the story. And it doesn't matter whether it's repetitive or not because the shooting is just so bad to begin with. But it is also in fact highly repetitive as well just to add to things.

I think the way you are tackling the situation is different than intended. The Yakuza games aren't just beat em ups, if your speaking about the game as a whole. Yeah the combat mechanics resemble something of a fighting force or final fight but the game has alot more charm than just mashing square square triangle. My Favorite complaint about Dead Souls is the shooter mechanics aren't the exact same as other games. Oh well, I just ended up accepting what it was and adapted the L1 method of just running through people like Wesley Gibson from Wanted when I was Akiyama. The game just wasn't intended to replicate the market, it was just trying something different and made a departure to a new form of combat. If you didn't enjoy the game, your trolling people by sitting here squatting on something they enjoyed.

#22 Posted by MetalBaofu (1389 posts) -

I rented it back when it first came out. I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as I did 3 and 4. I wouldn't say that I hated Dead Souls or regretted playing it, but I wouldn't say I liked it either. At some point I just stopped fighting, except when you have to. I just ran passed everything to get to where ever I was going. I just didn't find the shooting fun, at all.

#23 Edited by Yummylee (21673 posts) -

@cannonballBAM said:

@Yummylee said:

@TentPole said:

@Yummylee said:

@cannonballBAM said:

@Yummylee said:

@TentPole said:

I think the way you are tackling the situation is different than intended. The Yakuza games aren't just beat em ups, if your speaking about the game as a whole. Yeah the combat mechanics resemble something of a fighting force or final fight but the game has alot more charm than just mashing square square triangle. My Favorite complaint about Dead Souls is the shooter mechanics aren't the exact same as other games. Oh well, I just ended up accepting what it was and adapted the L1 method of just running through people like Wesley Gibson from Wanted when I was Akiyama. The game just wasn't intended to replicate the market, it was just trying something different and made a departure to a new form of combat. If you didn't enjoy the game, your trolling people by sitting here squatting on something they enjoyed.

Criminy... so because I didn't enjoy the game, I'm not allowed to discuss, or share my opinion? Seriously? Why are you even on a forum then? If you don't want other people to 'squat' on a game you enjoyed, then at the very least don't reply to someone who didn't like the game.

And where the hell did the beat em up gameplay come from? What are you even talking about during the first two sentences?? And no, it's got nothing to do with Dead Souls being different from other games, it's because the shooting is simply bad. The guns have dreadful sound effects, they lack impact, the movement is supremely clunky, it's all insanely easy, you use the same HEAT moves over and over and they don't exhibit the same brutal creativity like the melee HEAT attacks in prior games, fighting against enemies like that tank-ripoff and the zombie on skates is a battle of attrition and not fun at all, and again, it all goes on for maybe around 20 hours. There's no escaping it; every single sub-story results in you heading into the anti-exploratory QZ with its labyrinthine design, complete with only one doorway to enter & exit.

I'd have much rather been given a more 'generic' style of third person shooting if it was at least in anyway fun, instead of what I got in Dead Souls. Which is to say some of the worst shooting I've played in a very long while.

Sure, you actually like the shooting--to which I think you're insane--but whatever, good for you. Just don't expect me to simply tie my hands and avoid this topic like the plague just because there are people who do enjoy Dead Souls - especially if you're actually going to reply to me.

#24 Posted by binhoker (82 posts) -

I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. It was fucking shit though.

#25 Edited by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@Yummylee: You are freaking out because a couple of people disagree with your opinion. It is not a big deal. You can just look at a couple of critical reviews to see your opinion is very much in the majority.

You need to chill the fuck out.

#26 Posted by Yummylee (21673 posts) -

@TentPole said:

@Yummylee: You need to chill the fuck out.

Do you ever post more than a single sentence? And I am 'chilled the fuck out', as I was when I posted the reply above.

#27 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@Yummylee: Might I suggest being less of an asshole to people who disagree with you.

#28 Posted by Yummylee (21673 posts) -

@TentPole said:

@Yummylee: Might I suggest being less of an asshole to people who disagree with you.

Wow, man, directly calling me an asshole?? You need to chill the fuck out! And why would you reply here and then send me a sarcastic PM... the way your mind must work.

#29 Edited by TentPole (1858 posts) -

Just a suggestion.

Edit: I miss Abyssful. That guy was cool.

#30 Edited by cannonballBAM (602 posts) -

@TentPole: Thanks for backing me even if you have a different opinion about the game.

@Yummylee: Either way man, you gave the game a chance. That is all someone can really ask for, either way were supporters of the same cause. No disrespect if you felt I had done so.

#31 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Yes.

#32 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

The side mission where Daigo is dressed up as a woman to lure out zombies - priceless :]

#33 Edited by cosi83 (397 posts) -

Finally got round to it. Can't wait for 5, 4 was my favourite game of last year

On the 3rd chapter, damn crate puzzle, I thought it more complex than it really was. Spent a good 30 minutes trying to access the wrong route

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.